My 8800 ultra's temperature is at a record low.

Sagan

Gawd
Ever since I picked up an MSI 8800 ultra (OC) I had high idle temperatures of around (62c-65c) Yes I know it was bad, you can imagine what it was under games, I haven't cared enough to replace the stock cooling.

Finally mid November temperatures down here in the south are dropping, and right now its idling at 55c, I'm so happy :D.

Hehe I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in Rochester NY and right now it's cold as hell. My two 8800GTa in SLI are idling in the lwo to mid 40's (Card1: 43C and Card2: 46C) and this is on stock cooling. I guess that winter can be good for something after all :D.

Just started snowing up here in Montreal. I have my case sitting next to the window (good thing it has a mesh side panel to let in the air), and I think my Rage Pro Turbo is idling at about 20 degrees -- PASSIVELY cooled with no heatsink (I know, I'm crazy!).

So, the whole point of this thread is to inform us that when it gets colder outside, your computer temps drop??? Holy macaroni Batman! That IS a discovery. :p

So, the whole point of this thread is to inform us that when it gets colder outside, your computer temps drop??? Holy macaroni Batman! That IS a discovery. :p

This is quite the scientific breakthrough... the idea that cooler ambient temperatures will somehow effect items within is nothing short of a miracle.

I do believe we are in the presence of next years Nobel prize winner.

:D:D:D

Hehe I'm in the same boat as you. I'm in Rochester NY and right now it's cold as hell. My two 8800GTa in SLI are idling in the lwo to mid 40's (Card1: 43C and Card2: 46C) and this is on stock cooling. I guess that winter can be good for something after all :D.

I'm in Rochester too. Specifically, RIT. :eek:

Ever since I picked up an MSI 8800 ultra (OC) I had high idle temperatures of around (62c-65c) Yes I know it was bad, you can imagine what it was under games, I haven't cared enough to replace the stock cooling.

Finally mid November temperatures down here in the south are dropping, and right now its idling at 55c, I'm so happy :D.

Is that with the fan at default speed or at 100%? Did you overclock the card above the stock overclock? What in fact are your load temps? I ask because I have my Ultra running at close to the MSI overclocked speeds and my temps are very high as well. I idle at mid to late 50's but that is only with the fan at 100% as well as a slot blower under the card. I load mid 80's like this too. This card runs hot.

Is that with the fan at default speed or at 100%? Did you overclock the card above the stock overclock? What in fact are your load temps? I ask because I have my Ultra running at close to the MSI overclocked speeds and my temps are very high as well. I idle at mid to late 50's but that is only with the fan at 100% as well as a slot blower under the card. I load mid 80's like this too. This card runs hot.

I can play fine with the fan at auto speeds, but in hot summer days the games would crash after an hour of play, this was when idling could cost me at around 70c so I underclock it to mem:1089 and core:625 thats how I could play. The Fan doesn't need to be at 100% now and it can't be at stock speeds which are mem:1150 and core:660 because of the nice recent weather :D.

I got my 8800GTX RMA back and the temps are ridiculously lower.

My first card idled at 63-65C and loaded at 85C. My new card, which I have changed nothing on, idles at 47-50C and loads in the low 70's. I think the way they mount the heatsinks on these cards is prone to error.

Indeed, winter is the best time to overclock your system.
It's just becoming summer over here (New Zealand) and things can get mighty toasty D:

Indeed, winter is the best time to overclock your system.
It's just becoming summer over here (New Zealand) and things can get mighty toasty D:

Can I come live with you when its winter time over there? Assuming it'll be by the summer here.

Back