My 8700k box arrived smashed! Pics of the devastation! Updates

So you are saying the stock voltage is unsafe?

You'd think a stock <everything> would tend to error on the side of caution.

It's not unsafe but it is contributing to your high temps, stock should be around 1.2v

MCE or xmp could be the cause of the raised vcore..but on my board it's just broken like that

Last edited:
My 8700K have reasonable temps on games 70-85C with MCE 4,7ghz clock.
But running AC:Origins going to Alexandria city it goes to 90's to spikes on 1 core to 100C.

Its insane. Maybe i should turn off MCE.

But running AC:Origins going to Alexandria city it goes to 90's to spikes on 1 core to 100C.

I would adjust your vcore first, either manually setting it or having an offset.

Also, make sure your bios is up to date.

Ok so i stop playing Origins in time before correcting down temperatures.

Even at 100C with MCE using high voltage it would just slightly throttle on 1 core if it hits 100C. But as noted try lowering the voltage, some mobo makers likes higher voltage than others for their autooverclocking.

Well it looks like I'll be getting an AIO cooler.

Any suggestions?
I've got a nice roomy case

This is high should be around 1.2v even with MCE.

Basically same overvolt as my z270 board.

Not sure what options you have to adjust vcore, mine I have settled for -.060v with an OC, doesn't even seem possible for me to get stock vcore unless I used fixed(which disables idle vcore lowering)

I can't believe these boards are sold like this

Anyway try the latest bios, if no change you have to lower it another way

I think is a consequence of having no IMC, board manufacturers dont know how well a cpu is binned so voltage defaults set for the rubbish chips.

My asrock default voltage for load is about 1,26-1.27V and about 1.3V for AVX.

Either hyperthreading adds a lot of celsius or my cooling isnt too shabby, midrange air cooler, and my 4.8ghz chip doesnt even hit 75C under stress testing (shut case) and is under 60C when gaming.

I think is a consequence of having no IMC, board manufacturers dont know how well a cpu is binned so voltage defaults set for the rubbish chips.

My asrock default voltage for load is about 1,26-1.27V and about 1.3V for AVX.

Either hyperthreading adds a lot of celsius or my cooling isnt too shabby, midrange air cooler, and my 4.8ghz chip doesnt even hit 75C under stress testing (shut case) and is under 60C when gaming.
Yes thats part of it but some boards will be close to normal. My z270 gives same voltage as yours, funny thing is very 1st bios didn't allows vcore adjustment at all(where's the QC?)

Hyperthreading adds about 10c+, I know from what I've seen 8600k runs cooler than 7700k (which your 4.8 and my 4.8 hits 80c+). 8700k is even hotter

Last edited:
I'll drop the voltage and see what happens.

This cooler looks impressive- probably have to give it a try.

I have the non-rgb version, cheaper and works pretty well. You should replace the stock fan though.

I’ve got a CPU like that before and it was fine. Had the box to protect the pins. But for Walmart to just throw it into a bubble envelope it stupid because you know they didn’t insure it and they don’t make much profit per unit sold.

I’ve got a CPU like that before and it was fine. Had the box to protect the pins. But for Walmart to just throw it into a bubble envelope it stupid because you know they didn’t insure it and they don’t make much profit per unit sold.

Welcome- I'll assume that you joined specifically so you could respond to my awesome thread.

Honestly, half the reason for ordering from Walmart was because we wanted to see if it arrived in the blue box like on TV.
Of course, the other half was because it was on sale and I needed it...

Anyone interested in seeing how the 8700K performs with a stock Intel cooler? :p:D
Might be an interesting test...

Just ordered the CoolerMaster ML240L RGB as suggested above.
A "Gold" award from HardForum is good enough for me.

My wife's Pentium G4400 will inherit the DeepCool unit that appears to be insufficient for 6 cores.

Edit-
Also will be adding an additional intake fan.
I guess I'll be mounting the AIO radiator on top, and intake fans in the front.
Is that the best way to handle this?

Anyone interested in seeing how the 8700K performs with a stock Intel cooler? :p:D
Might be an interesting test...

Just ordered the CoolerMaster ML240L RGB as suggested above.
A "Gold" award from HardForum is good enough for me.

My wife's Pentium G4400 will inherit the DeepCool unit that appears to be insufficient for 6 cores.

Edit-
Also will be adding an additional intake fan.
I guess I'll be mounting the AIO radiator on top, and intake fans in the front.
Is that the best way to handle this?

I prefer mounting the radiator in front with the intake fans since that is generally the coolest air, assuming if your front intake isn't far from the motherboard.

I prefer mounting the radiator in front with the intake fans since that is generally the coolest air, assuming if your front intake isn't far from the motherboard.

Do you mount them so the fans suck air into the case, through the radiator, or do you mount them so they suck air from the radiator, out the front?

Fan installed where air suck is into the case through the radiator, so the push configuration.

pulling fresh air in. either way will work. with the rad in front youll get slightly cooler cpu temps. with the rad in top you will get slightly cooler gpu temps.

Wow okay 10 degrees cooler with a front mounted radiator.

So do you put intake fans in the top of the case?

yes id go two in front, one in back and the rad fans at the top. that case is also kinda worst case Ontario, next to no front airflow. what are you using for a case?

Phanteks Enthoo Pro M.

Seems to have really good airflow, nice and roomy.

uKPU2kE.jpg

Currently have a 6700k now. Are the next two steps up not significant enough upgrades?

I guess it depends on your use case.

The 8700k was the first one that made me want to upgrade from my 3770.

The 3770 is a lot cooler tho... :joyful:

The AIO cooler and some new fans arrived. Hopefully I get the temps down to a more reasonable level.

NNvL9UL.jpg

Yeah the box doesn't mean anything....However it completely kills this sellers reputation unless it was damaged mid shipment somehow.

Walmart has been advertising their online store, showing beautiful blue boxes showing up on people's door steps.

My order from them showed up in a squished white envelope, looking like someone used it for a doorstep.

I am greatly disappointed.
Whether or not this was said on pages 2 or 3... but people must remember that WalMart has taken a page from Amazon's book, as they are now a "marketplace" that other vendors can sell from.

That being said, the question becomes: was your purchase actually "fulfilled by" WalMart, or just purchased via their website?

Confused what this pick has to do with op....

Well basically this thread turned from complaining about my smashed box to "my temps are really high" so I posted that in case any one wanted to see how/if my cooler was in contact with the processor.

To my noob eye, it looks like the air cooler was seated okay

Well basically this thread turned from complaining about my smashed box to "my temps are really high" so I posted that in case any one wanted to see how/if my cooler was in contact with the processor.

To my noob eye, it looks like the air cooler was seated okay
Ah I gotcha, yeah it was definitely sealed ok just from looking at the paste. I honestly think the temps are fine, don't worry about it.

Back