My 8700k box arrived smashed! Pics of the devastation! Updates

The cat looks like it may have something to hide, are you sure it didn't just sit on the box? :)

Well I installed it
6nt5Vnm.jpg

Someone said dog?

riT43Fj.jpg

Last edited:
my audio, video, and rendering apps loudly assert otherwise

and how many people render stuff? Still a 8600k with its real 2 extra cores vs 4 software cores would beat a 6 or 7 gen hyperthreading 4 core cpu regardless.

So many people buying the x700k chips I dont think they all render stuff.

and how many people render stuff? Still a 8600k with its real 2 extra cores vs 4 software cores would beat a 6 or 7 gen hyperthreading 4 core cpu regardless.

I do a lot of encoding in Handbrake.

It would be foolish of me to upgrade from a 4 core 3770 to a 4 core 7700k instead of an available 6 core processor.

That is beside the point.

does it work?

Not quite done yet- this is really my first build in a normal case and it's taking longer than expected.

Noob alert.

So yeah, trying to run some more cables and stuff before I fire it up.

Also worried I put too much thermal paste on...

Not quite done yet- this is really my first build in a normal case and it's taking longer than expected.

Noob alert.

If you Think you put too much you prob did...

I use to always spread with a razor blade to get a thin layer but there is a decent margin of error between rice and peas size

Last edited:
If you

If you Think you put too much you prob did...

I use to always spread with a razor blade to get a thin layer but there is a decent margin of error between rice and peas size

Less than pea size for sure.

What's the danger in too much?

Noob alert.

you didn't test everything outside the case first?
too much paste will just ooze out the sides. not a big deal, just a bit messy.

I suggest testing it outside case first, using either iGPU or a discrete GPU is fine, but no other addon cards, minimal components.

Ehh don't think much other than less than optimal temps.

So a quick update on the temperatures:

It hit 97 degrees after 3 minutes on a RealBench stress test.

This is with a basic Deepcool air cooler.

Should I uninstall the cooler and reapply the paste or is this acceptable temps?

yes and what model cooler is it?
Deepcool Gammaxx GT.

I am fully aware it's not a premium air-cooler by any means... But still.

I have just the 2 stock 140mm case fans at the moment- seems like good air movement.

Here's the thermal paste I put on

e4bfsv4.jpg

And the cooler installed

wUXfHNo.jpg

Last edited:
TIM looks ok, little much but no biggy, itll squeeze out. set the fan to max and try running again. stock or oc'd?

The 8700K runs HOT, I do not believe that cooler will be sufficient if the CPU is pegged at 100% using a proggy like that. You may want to think about a better cooler or an AIO WC kit.

TIM looks ok, little much but no biggy, itll squeeze out. set the fan to max and try running again. stock or oc'd?

This is stock- I was messing around with overclocking, but bailed, because the temps made me nervous.

You don't think I should reapply the cooler after redoing the paste?

The 8700K runs HOT, I do not believe that cooler will be sufficient if the CPU is pegged at 100% using a proggy like that. You may want to think about a better cooler or an AIO WC kit.

I plan to get an AIO but just have a hard time believing this is normal with this cooler.

But maybe most people with an 8700k don't run a basic aircooler

So a quick update on the temperatures:

It hit 97 degrees after 3 minutes on a RealBench stress test.

This is with a basic Deepcool air cooler.

Should I uninstall the cooler and reapply the paste or is this acceptable temps?

Just curious, what is your vcore when you run those test?

I plan to get an AIO but just have a hard time believing this is normal with this cooler.

But maybe most people with an 8700k don't run a basic aircooler
they are running big air or big aio or full custom loops. that cooler is basically a fancier 212 from the looks of it. check your vcore in bios as suggested and look into better cooling.

Make sure you don't have MCE turned on. Asus overclocks by default. I also had to adjust Vcore b/c Asus thinks 1.4V is fine for everyone.

Make sure you don't have MCE turned on. Asus overclocks by default. I also had to adjust Vcore b/c Asus thinks 1.4V is fine for everyone.

When I was playing around with a light overclock, I did have this disabled. Basically the same temp results

Last edited:
So everyone thinks this is "normal" with the cooler I have?

Not like a seating issue or too much thermal ooze?

Cpuz says 1.319.
Everything stock- no overclock
This is high should be around 1.2v even with MCE.

Basically same overvolt as my z270 board.

Not sure what options you have to adjust vcore, mine I have settled for -.060v with an OC, doesn't even seem possible for me to get stock vcore unless I used fixed(which disables idle vcore lowering)

I can't believe these boards are sold like this

Anyway try the latest bios, if no change you have to lower it another way

Dude test Assassins Creed Origins and see if reaching 90-100C with MCE on. My 8700K on 4,7GHZ reaching that temps with MCE on.

Dude test Assassins Creed Origins and see if reaching 90-100C with MCE on. My 8700K on 4,7GHZ reaching that temps with MCE on.

Not everyone owns (or wants to own) Assassins Creed, sadly.

I could try Destiny 2 for you eventually....

This is high should be around 1.2v even with MCE.

Basically same overvolt as my z270 board.

Not sure what options you have to adjust vcore, mine I have settled for -.060v with an OC, doesn't even seem possible for me to get stock vcore unless I used fixed(which disables idle vcore lowering)

I can't believe these boards are sold like this

Anyway try the latest bios, if no change you have to lower it another way

So you are saying the stock voltage is unsafe?

You'd think a stock <everything> would tend to error on the side of caution.

Cpuz says 1.319.
Everything stock- no overclock
That is high, you might have to manually set your vcore rather than using adaptive vcore since it can be a bit funky, or if you use adaptive vcore, you probably should have an offset.

Honestly an overclocked 8700K is a furnace I was really surprised by it, average cooling is not sufficient. You need excellent cooling to keep the temps down.

It is still safe as long the temperature is control but it is high for stock settings.

Honestly an overclocked 8700K is a furnace I was really surprised by it, average cooling is not sufficient. You need excellent cooling to keep the temps down.

It runs warm but I wouldn't say it runs hot, adaptive vcore can be pretty funky and can cause temperature spike due to unrealistic adjustment to vcore.

not unsafe but maybe a bit high. even some ryzen boards are doing, gn just did a vid aboot it. make sure your bios is up to date and figure out how to get it to normal.

Error on the side of caution for the motherboard manufacturer is to ensure a little extra juice to the CPU and integrated memory controller, so that they can default to overclocked out of the box and win benchmarks when reviewed by idiots for the internet. Also they want to make sure it's stable and fast out of the box, regardless of long term implications (of which there would likely be none).

For the recent Asus motherboards, in addition to setting MCE to disabled.. find CPU Power Management. In there, set IA AC Load Line and IA DC Load Line = 0.01.

That should tame the voltages. I think also good to set SVID to Auto. The pro overclockers could probably assist, but these did it for me. There's no point to extra voltage if you're thermally constrained and not trying to overclock.

Last edited:
Back