My 4890 underclocked itself??

Shark974

Limp Gawd
Ok I've been playing around with my hardware for the first time in a while recently cause of BF3. Anyway, I got that MSI Afterburner software because I heard it was good to check out stuff (I thought it would show me vidcard RAM usage, which it doesnt seem to).

Anyways I opened it an noticed it says my GPU clock is 900 mhz. Thing is this card is a factory overclocked one that runs at 950 default.

So I opened GPU-Z and it confirmed 900, but another thing is it (correctly) says default clock=950.

So I googled "4890 underclocking itself" or whatever, and I find some people complaining their card reports 240 mhz. It is then explained that 4890's do this when idle to save power.

So now I have a second problem, mine reports 900 at idle (at least what GPU Z says), which seems like it could be wasting a lot of electricity if it's supposed to drop to 240. I'm not sure it ever idled at 240, mind you. I dont recall either way.

I'm at a loss how the card could have underclocked itself to 900. I dont have any overclock software running. I'd like that 50 mhz back.

Knowing I just installed the Catalyst Beta 11.10 for BF3, I think that may have something to do with it. So I go to install 11.9's. Well they simply refuse to install throwing a "package install failed, install failed" error halfway through every time, and when I check I still have the 11.10's installed.

I dont even really know how to manually uninstall drivers, besides wont that leave me with a blank screen?

So yeah, any suggestions to any or all of these problems? The underclocking, and the no 240 mhz idle thing, and how to get rid of the 11.10's and get the 11.9's installed?

Ok I seemed to solve one of the problems. While GPUz reports a clock of 900 on the graphics card page, clicking over to the "sensors" tab seems to show the real true clock currently, which seems to be 500 at idle and 900 in a game (tested).

500 idle isnt as good as 240 but it's acceptable.

Now the 900 mhz when it should be 950 thing is the only issue...

K never mind. I managed to install 11.9 (still throws an error but seems to install them anyway) and sure enough my GPU now reports 950 mhz again. Weird but whatever.

Back