My 1st Intel build.. please be gentle :/

Discussion in 'PC Hound System Builder' started by James Robinson, Dec 6, 2016.

1. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

I've been AMD since way back in the late 80's... mostly due to budget concerns. But I've grown tired of the limitations, shortages of performance, and having to re-install every godamn time Windows has a major update/patch and fucks my install up sufficiently to make me rage (Since update patch almost 2 months ago, my system will hang on boot EVERY other boot. No idea why and can't fix it ... Watchdog Exception Error... wut?)

Anyways... decided to dab my toes into the Intel waters, and here is what I'm going to be using. Mind you, I only have about half of it, and probably won't be able to afford it all till next month (Christmas Overtime, & Bonuses.. etc..).. Here we go:

Cooler Master Cosmos II
    Corsair HXi Series - HX850i
    ASUS Z170-A
    i7 Skylake 6700K @ 4.00 GHz
    Corsair Vengeance 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4/3200(PC4-25600)[x2]
    MasterLiquid Pro 240 AIO
    Samsung 950 PRO Series - 512GB PCIe NVMe - M.2 (OS Only)
    Seagate 2TB FireCuda SS/Hybrid (All other programs installed)
    Toshiba X300 4TB (general storage and "I'll get to it laters")
    ASUS Dual-Fan Radeon Rx 480 4GB OC Edition

I'm thinking this should more then satisfy my needs for the next few years... will be adding my Corsair K95-RGB & Scimitar RGB + 4 Asus 27" monitors as well as ASUS BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Internal Burner Drive from prior AMD build.

Any potential problems or issues I need to keep a heads up for? Thanks.

LanceDiamond likes this.
  2. Emission

Emission 2[H]4U

Everything looks pretty good aside from maybe the RAM speed. Changing the BCLK isn't an option on Z170, so with the bus speed being fixed at 100 MHz, effective use of anything over DDR4 2400 isn't gonna happen. Synthetic benchmarks will show the difference, but no real world test will show more than a 1-3% difference between DDR4 2400 and DDR4 4000.

http://www.legitreviews.com/ddr4-me...finding-the-best-ddr4-memory-kit-speed_170340

In other words, you can happily run with RAM as 'slow' as DDR4 2400. It's just a question of price from there.

3. Comixbooks

Comixbooks Ignore Me

I would get a 740 Carbide Corsair Air case plus it's cheaper and bigger has a nice window =)
    I'm saving up for one myself just came out like two months ago.

gigatexal likes this.
  4. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

No offense, but I think the Cosmos II is almost twice the size of the Carbide 740... :/... I want LOTS of ports and spots !!RAWR!!

Armenius likes this.
  5. skeeder

skeeder [H]ard|Gawd

Also, that SSD is absolutely massive. Just OS? really? What else are you using the extra 508gb's after windows does its thing?

If OS only is what you want I would recommend switching to a smaller unit to keep costs low (assuming you need to keep your costs low).

Otherwise, get rid of the 2TB drive, I don't think you'll need it unless you really want to download your entire Steam library or something.

For the costs, get the 8GB version of the RX480.

Armenius likes this.
  6. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Still need to get case, power supply, cpu, memory, graphics card, and cooler. *sigh*

The most expensive items on the list... SANTA CAUSE... HELP!!

7. luke51087

luke51087 [H]ard|Gawd

Is it something you need right now? I would wait to see how Zen will pan out. If i was going all out on that and you plan on gaming I would be on at least a 1070 for my graphics card. What exactly will you use this pc for?

Armenius likes this.
  8. lutjens

lutjens Gawd

Make sure you have a good idea how to mount the AIO kit and take extra time/attention with it. It can be somewhat confusing to a first timer. Other than that, take your time building and triple check every connection to make sure it's correct and secure. Don't force anything and always keep static handling procedures in mind. I'd hate to see an inadvertant error during assembly damage something.

9. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

So... no eating Cheetos & drinking Jack while doing this in my boxers.... check >_<

Wyodiver likes this.
  10. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

The boxers are probably fine (not that anyone would want to see that :eek:;)) but yeah, no Cheetos. Also as a word of advice, take a VERY good look at the socket before installing the CPU. I had a piece of fiber inside the socket in the sig rig I built this summer. Clean it out with my electric dust blower and all was good. I took a picture with my phone and zoomed in on it, it was almost impossible to see with the naked eye, at least my old eyes.

11. MN Scout

MN Scout 2[H]4U

I'd put the programs on the main drive also, not just the OS. Nothing better than instantaneous program loads. My cheap SSD made such a difference in speed. Made my old computer feel brand new. Even if the Seagate is a hybrid, it still won't be as fast as having everything on the Samsung. Leave the Seagate for pictures and movies.

Armenius likes this.
  12. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Ok, I get it... matched memory is supposed to save you speed... but that's ridiculous. Last night I saw some Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) 3000MHz (PC4-24000) C15 for $65 & free over night Prime on Amazon. It didn't list the timing, but I don't think it's really an issue. I want 32gb though, and I see they have an option for same item for 4x8. I add that one to my cart thinking, 135ish with tax.. good to go!

$247, no free shipping.

WUT?

Ummmm... no *deleted from cart* *adds the 16gb kit twice* Thankfully they listed 2 in stock. $136 with free overnight for 32gb... me happy. I get that matching kits are 'a thing'... Seriously though, its 2 different channels, as long as the timings and CAS Latency are the same, its utterly irrelevant, isn't it?

EDITED TO ADD: Found it... Part CMK16GX4M2B3000C15 is CL15-17-17-35 @1.35v/3000MHz.. no idea what those numbers even mean LOL

Last edited: Dec 8, 2016
  13. skeeder

skeeder [H]ard|Gawd

CAS latency really doesn't provide much (if any) real world impact to gaming. Some here will argue it will, but honestly, even two unmatched sticks will run fine at the "more slow" frequency if you need more ram in general.

14. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Pulled the trigger on a ASUS ROG STRIX Radeon Rx 480 8GB OC Edition... hopefully it's a good choice @ $240.. sheesh.. stuff is expensive

15. heatlesssun

heatlesssun Pick your own.....you deserve it.

Yeah, price is probably the biggest obstacle in PC gaming. I know there are those that think that PCs are cheaper than consoles and while there can be some savings on the games, $240 buys one a entry level console these days. And as much as pricing is problematic, in historical terms the power of a good PC at the price isn't bad at all. I remember the first hard drive I ever saw for sale at a Radio Shack in the 80s. I think it was $3k for 5 MB of storage.

16. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Geebus, I remember going to auctions in the Bay Area with my bud to scrounge lots and pallets of systems from closed/bankrupted business in Silicon Valley back in the early 90's... he would pull the guts out to see what he could slap into one of his army of Amigas... I was still building 286/386/486s... easy money when you could buy a pallet for $20 and then sell 10 working systems for $200+ each... kept me in peanut butter & Top Ramen while I was in School >_<

Wyodiver likes this.
  17. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Oh.. quick question.. does anyone know if the Z170-A has the option/ability to run both the integrated graphics and a discreet card at the same time or does it share a controller so it's either/or?

18. LanceDiamond

LanceDiamond Limp Gawd

Welcome back to Intel!

Do a decent burn-in - let it run Prime95 for 8-24 hours - I've had really good luck last several builds doing this and if it survives that, it should run Windows and whatever else just fine. :)

19. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Anyways... it occurred to me that I was eligible for double points back on my Chase card, with 12 months financing, so I ordered everything and should have it this weekend (should being the active descriptor).

20. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Aaaaaaaaaand now I'm getting updated delivery estimations with pretty much everything coming on a different day... LAWL

21. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Case arrived yesterday.......

I'm scared... :(

22. Ripskin

Ripskin [H]ard|Gawd

23. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

Go slow, don't force anything, don't build it on a carpet floor. You'll be fine.

24. NTJedi

NTJedi Limp Gawd

25. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Waiting till Saturday (my day off) to get started..

This thing is FREAKING HUGE [Donald Trump ON/] YUGE! [Donald Trump OFF/]

Box is 3 feet high, almost 3 feet long, 2 1/2 feet wide.. it has a bunch of 'Team Lift' stickers on it LOL.

I had it downstairs in the living room, but moved it to the corner and covered it with a blanket cause it was scaring the cats... will drag it upstairs when I'm ready to build.

Wyodiver likes this.
  26. emmjawsX

emmjawsX [H]Lite

No experience with that exact board but it shouldn't be a problem - you just might have to enable iGPU in the bios since it will probably default to off if a discrete card is installed

27. Armenius

Armenius [H]ardForum Junkie

There is no need to "burn in" a PC...

Crosshairs likes this.
  28. SvenBent

SvenBent Gawd

There is a need for stability testing though. I think that was the interpretation of burn-in he was going for.
    Not the audiophail interpretation that you need to "burn-in" speakers/headset before they sound good.

29. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Another question... I've noticed many boards state if you're using a single graphics card to use the 2nd or 3rd Card Slot to get the full 16x. The Asus Z170-Deluxe does not appear to have this limitation, with all 3 slots stating PCI 3.0 16x capable... so I can use any of the 3 without fear of hamstringing?

30. luke51087

luke51087 [H]ard|Gawd

I have always used the top 16x slot, you should be fine with the first 2 if you did want to just use one slot. Sometimes boards will do a 16x mechanical slot with only 4x electrical and that is usually the bottom slot. But you would have to read the manual about your board.

31. HeavensCloud

HeavensCloud Oswego, not shitty as Buffalo

2 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slots (single at x16 or dual at x8/x8 mode)
    1 x PCI Express 3.0/2.0 x16 slot* (max. at x4 mode, compatible with PCIe x1, x2 and x4 devices)

One of your slots maxes at x4 mode. Not sure what it means since it still says 3.0/2.0 x16. Maybe that's just if all the slots are filled?

32. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Ok, since I don't get my MB till tomorrow, I downloaded the PDF manual and it states on page 1-16 that slot 16_1 is recommended for single card operation, dual cards should use 16_1 & 16_2 respectively. THANKS!

33. zamardii12

zamardii12 [H]ard|Gawd

Just out of curiosity, why such a big SSD if all you'll be using it for is OS only? Seems like a waste. Might as well get something a lot smaller maybe in the M.2 spec. Lose size, but gain much faster speeds.

34. Wyodiver

Wyodiver Gawd

James Robinson:

I just fixed my own "DPC Watchdog Violation" on my Intel system. I installed a Soundblaster sound card a month or so ago and was getting random reboots. Turns out that the on-board sound drivers had re-installed themselves alongside the SB driver. Took a lot of research, head-scratching, and rage to figure it out. Just had to disable the offensive drivers instead of uninstalling them.

I used to swear by AMD, too. But for now at least I'm sticking with Intel. Good luck!

35. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Using the M.2 for OS and the programs I use constantly/daily. Firecuda will be for programs I don't use very often, short term storage area and cache/saves for programs I use constantly, and the Toshiba is for long term storage & archiving. :)

36. skeeder

skeeder [H]ard|Gawd

the Z170 Asus board has the top PCI-E 16X fully wired, the other two appear to be 8X. If in doubt, look for metal contacts on the slots...

37. jrweis

jrweis Limp Gawd

Definitely do the testing (burn-in). I run Prime 95 for 72 hours (24 would probably be enough but I like the 72 as most of my builds are for CAD Workstations purchased by a very good customer and I want them to be rock solid) and 4 full passes of MemTest 86+ by PassMark. When running MemTest make sure you boot from UEFI.

38. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Confirmed, only the top was full, the other 2 were partials. As soon as it arrived I peaked in and saw that..

Case came, as did my Water Block & radiator. then spent the next couple hours finding the optimal position to make everything fit. I put the Radiator under top of frame and forward, with fans above frame pulling up/blowing out. No other placement works. Radiator won't fit above frame because the hose mounts conflict, cant place it under the top of frame & back because frame bolts are in the way and radiator sits wrong. Problem with bringing it forward was the hoses are not terrible flexible, and they sit RIGHT above the ram. So close in fact that I can mount my Vengeance fan assembly on the DDR4 and the hoses fit right thru the gap. I cut 2 spars out across the top frame that would have caused dead air space.. gotta have air flow through that radiator..

Anyways.. 99% finished with build, just waiting on a couple cables I didn't know I was going to need. 1 is a 6" female 9pin to USB for the Corsair PS data line, the other is a 2' USB 3.0 male/male type A to connect my Inateck Superspeed 7 Ports PCI-E to my front Panel USB hub I ordered (KingWin 7 USB 3.0 Port KW525-7U3C). Also ordered the Vantec 4-Channel 6-Port (UGT-ST644R) beacuse I forgot I had 4 Toshiba 3Tb 7200 Drives sitting in sealed bags till I started tearing up my closet looking for cables and stuff.

Oh yeah.. Graphics card blocks the Sata ports, so had to keep unmounting the card to move this plug here or there or where ever... I was up for 24 hours straight dicking with this thing and I am SOOOO close to being done. I guess all I need now is a decent 4k monitor or TV to add like a cherry on the top

Last edited: Dec 18, 2016
  39. James Robinson

James Robinson n00bie

Okie dokey...

Last cable I needed FINALLY arrived Tuesday night. I got home from work, it was in my mail box, I grabbed it and ran upstairs to the spare bedroom/office. Slapped it in, and fired my new computer up…..

Nothing… not a fucking peep.

20 cold sweat seconds go by… OH! The power switch ON the Power Supply, I never flipped it!

*CLICK!*

Hit the power… and the system starts up. I hear the drives cycle up………..

And nothing.. it does nothing else. I’m getting no feed to my monitors, so it never even made it to POST.

Tried several monitors in case only a particular port was being supported until an OS was installed (this is a complete cold start clean build, all new top to bottom). No Joy.

Checked my wiring, everything was good, all my components were seated perfect, nothing out of alignment, no moronic ‘cyclical’ loops of power connecters that failed to connect to PS.. everything was perfect.

I had to be up @ 4:30 for shift, so I figured best plan was to wait till this Christmas weekend, when I would have the time to tear it down and test the individual components for problems/defects. So I nibble on some dinner, shower, crawl into bed….

But my brain won’t let it go. I KNOW my parts are good, and I KNOW I connected everything properly, so the only explanation was I’ve forgotten something… just as I start to fall asleep my brain starts running comparisons as to everything I ever did building my AMDs that I did with this Intel build…

AMD did? ---- Intel did that too

AMD did? ---- Intel yeah, did that…

AUXILLARY POWER!! OH SHIT! That little 8x2 connector that’s always off in the fucking corner away from the 24 pin main!!

I jump out of bed, run to the office, yank open the pouch with all my Corsair Cables.. there it is.. “type something something” on the side, 8x2.. my bleary eyes wont focus enough to read it, but that’s the one. I look in the case.. god damnit.. sure as shit, sticking out like a broken finger, the empty socket. How did I NOT see that? Fine, I pop the cable into the PS, that latch it down to the board. Flick the power switch… and I felt like Baron Von Frankenstein as everything lit up like it was godamn Christmas early… I popped BIOS, set to boot from USB UEID or whatever it is.. got Win10 64 installed.

Had to fight with validation, as my 10 is actually a free upgrade from 7 Ultimate 64. After about a half hour finally found the right selection for it to ask me “is THIS the system you’ve modified and wish to activate?” and I was good to go. Started installing drivers, got all my monitors going (found out one of them has a blown HDMI port, but the DVI works fine), and started installing games. Then I looked at the clock…..

2am….

Fuck me… Nap it is!

Will finish up when I get home tonight.

40. SPARTAN VI

SPARTAN VI [H]ardness Supreme

We've all been there! LMAO

Ripskin likes this.