My 1st build suggestions appreciated

bigE

n00b
I've been wanting to for years & after reading some of the posts here for the last 2 months you people have made it seem a whole lot easier than I made it out to be so I might as well just do it..

Please feel free with your suggestions, here's what I've put together.

AMD 64 x 2 4800+
2GB corsair
2 BFG 7800 GT
A8N SLI Deluxe or Premium

Things I need help with.

Case ($200.00)
PSU ($200.00)
HD ($300.00)

Thanks for getting me started on yet another expensive hobbie :cool:

bigE said:
I've been wanting to for years & after reading some of the posts here for the last 2 months you people have made it seem a whole lot easier than I made it out to be so I might as well just do it..

Please feel free with your suggestions, here's what I've put together.

AMD 64 x 2 4800+
2GB corsair
2 BFG 7800 GT
A8N SLI Deluxe or Premium

Things I need help with.

Case ($200.00)
PSU ($200.00)
HD ($300.00)

Thanks for getting me started on yet another expensive hobbie :cool:

Case: I'm a fan of Coolermaster. The Praetorian is a really nice case and only $100.

PSU: Seasonic SLI 600w or the OCZ Powerstream 520w, both have been around for a while and are tried and true

HD: I like the WD drive in my sig. Personally I love my raptor but its not really cost effective. The 250gb one in my sig will serve your needs fine for only a little over 100

If you have the inclination to overclock, I would recommend an Opteron over the x2. You'll save some money and end up with the same CPU or better in the end.

I would probably go with the A8N-SLI Premium, heatpipe design = good.

Might I recommend two hard drives. I've had two hard drives in my comp's for years now and I think its the only way to go. I usually have one for my OS and the other just for games. Plus when I go to reinstall windows, I put all my music, pics, etc.. on the spare hard drive and then I dont have to waste tons of cd's to backup my stuff.

But I recommend Western Digital. Thats the first type of hard drive I owned (not the only type though) and my first WD hard drive is still ticking today, I have yet to have one die on me (knock on wood).

For HD's I'm a fan of seagate - hard to beat 5 year warrantee. The last WD drive I owned had this weird issue where sometimes it would lock up my system on boot, and the only way to fix it was to put it in another comp, boot, then read and write from the drive. I even posted about it in the disk storage forum and got nothing.

I like the Seagates as well. I picked up a 500GB HDD on Ebay, BRAND NEW with the 5 year warranty for $285 shipped!!!

PSU-- PC Power and Cooling Turbo 510 Deluxe Express SLI (you will NEVER need another PSU) has 5 year warranty as well.

Case--CoolerMaster is good. I personally have the Antec P180

well, since nobody asked yet, will you be overclocking?? :D

i also suggest opteron just for the sake that you can overclock further in the future if needed. as far as cases go, antec or coolermaster.

hdd: 400g 16mb cache WD

for the power supply i love my fsp 500w blue storm.

i also suggest going with the newer version of the a8n as the one you selected doesnt support x2. i could be wrong. here's the link

and what corsair memory are you looking at?

bored-sarcasm said:
i also suggest opteron just for the sake that you can overclock further in the future if needed. as far as cases go, antec or coolermaster.

hdd: 400g 16mb cache WD

for the power supply i love my fsp 500w blue storm.

i also suggest going with the newer version of the a8n as the one you selected doesnt support x2. i could be wrong. here's the link

and what corsair memory are you looking at?

Get the WD4000KD instead of the "YR". According to WD and other posts I have read, the "YRs" are best used it RAID. I personally have the WD4000KD as my boot drive.

I guess I'll have to do more research into the ' opteron ' who knows I just may want to overclock, I never have but reading about how much fun you guys have tinkering I can see myself trying it as long as you guys are willing to talk me thru it;)

As for which corsair ram I just went with 2GB thinking that would be what I would need..
That's why I'm running this by you guys.

As for more than 1 HD I was wondering why some of you go with more than 1??
If it would be beneficial to go with more than I will..

For now I seem to like the CM Stacker 820 since it looks like it'll have plenty of room for everything going into it & the future.

I should've probably entitled this thread " I don't know anything PLEASE help with 1st build ":D

Bob

If you keep everything on one drive:

A) if that hdd fails you lose it all
b) Games/Apps should not be run on the same drive as the OS because performance will be degraded with all of the app/games fighting for resources and hitting the HDD at the same time.

I'd also recommend a WD hd. I've owned Maxtor (junk), Hitachi, and Seagate...I've been most happy with my WD drives.

Case - Antec P180 ($125-ish)
PSU - PC Power and Cooling 510W ($220-ish)
Hard Drives - 74GB Raptor ($150-ish) + 250GB Maxtor SATAII drive ($110-ish)

Bona Fide said:
Case - Antec P180 ($125-ish)
PSU - PC Power and Cooling 510W ($220-ish)
Hard Drives - 74GB Raptor ($150-ish) + 250GB Maxtor SATAII drive ($110-ish)

I agree with the above exceptr I'd get a Antec Sonata = nice and quiet!!!

Back