My 165hz monitor only 100hz after latest windows updates? Anyone else?

xDiVolatilX

2[H]4U
Hello so i have an Acer Predator Z1 [z321qu bmiphzx] which Ive been running for years at 144& 165hz overclocked on Windows 10 [64 bit] then today I updated my OS & nvidia drivers and poof all of a sudden my monitor is maxed out at 100hz. I have not changed any video cards [2080Ti Seahawk EK-X] or DP cables [DP 1.4 cable] so I am convinced this is a software issue.
I tried rolling back the drivers to 6 previous versions & no go, actually one of the drivers even bumped my refresh rate down to 85 not even the previous 100hz & this makes me thingk It is a software issue?
Do you think It's these new windows updates ?
Or definitely the nvidia drivers? [I hadn't updated video driver in a year.]
The interesting thing is when I plugged in the other monitor I have [fv43u] it hits 144hz, but not the Predator which was 144 for years. How could this be?

Last edited:
Hello so i have an Acer Predator Z1 [z321qu bmiphzx] which Ive been running for years at 144& 165hz overclocked on Windows 10 [64 bit] then today I updated my OS & nvidia drivers and poof all of a sudden my monitor is maxed out at 100hz. I have not changed any video cards [2080Ti Seahawk EK-X] or DP cables [DP 1.4 cable] so I am convinced this is a software issue.
I tried rolling back the drivers to 6 previous versions & no go, actually one of the drivers even bumped my refresh rate down to 85 not even the previous 100 gm& this makes me thingk It is a software issue?
Do you think It's these new windows updates ?
Or definitely the nvidia drivers? [I hadn't updated video driver in a year.]
The interesting thing is when I plugged in the other monitor I have [fv43u] it hitts 144hz, but not the Predator which was 144 frlor years. How could this be?
It has happened that a monitor gets incorrectly detected and quits supporting high refresh. Sometimes plugging in another monitor and then plugging the old one back to the same port fixes it. In your case I'm pretty sure MS just said once again: Bend over boi.

I wouldn't call running an unknown software app on Windows 'an easy fix'. Suicidal is a closer comparison.
lol just stop....CRU has been around for a long time. Been using it to run my display at higher refresh ever since i purchased my display (like over 7 years) these day i can pretty much do the same thing with AMD display drivers most of the time (running 75 instead of 60) But i still use CRU if i have any issues

Last edited:
lol just stop....CRU has been around for a long time. Been using it to run my display at higher refresh ever since i purchased my display (like over 7 years) these day i can pretty much do the same thing with AMD display drivers most of the time (running 75 instead of 60) But i still use CRU if i have any issues
Alright when I get on my rig I'll try this.

It has happened that a monitor gets incorrectly detected and quits supporting high refresh. Sometimes plugging in another monitor and then plugging the old one back to the same port fixes it. In your case I'm pretty sure MS just said once again: Bend over boi.

I was up till 3am last night doing a fresh wipe & reload of Win10 64bit & to my surprise it is still stuck at 100hz. This hasn't ever happened it always had access to 144 & 165. What the actual heck...

Guys, it was the gosh darn cable. I guess swapping cables damaged my premium expensive cable and wasn't giving me the full bandwidth. Switched to the cable that came with monitor and bam 165hz. Ty for all the suggestions it was my own stupidity not swapping cables sooner troubleshooting I knew better than that. Lesson I already knew learned. Thanks again.

Last edited:
Guys, it was the gosh darn cable. I guess swapping cables damaged my premium expensive cable and wasn't giving me the full bandwidth. Swithced to the cable that came with monitor and bam 165hz. Ty for all the suggestions it was my own stupidity not swapping cables sooner troubleshooting I knew better than that. Lesson I already knew learned. Thanks again.
Sometimes it's something simple. Glad it worked out.

Guys, it was the gosh darn cable. I guess swapping cables damaged my premium expensive cable and wasn't giving me the full bandwidth. Switched to the cable that came with monitor and bam 165hz. Ty for all the suggestions it was my own stupidity not swapping cables sooner troubleshooting I knew better than that. Lesson I already knew learned. Thanks again.
"Premium expensive."

Pro-tip: Cross-reference the cable you're looking at with the database of certified products. A $15 cable from this list is probably going to perform much better than an uncertified $70 one with a lot of fancy marketing buzzwords. HDMI has a similar database.
https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

"Premium expensive."

Pro-tip: Cross-reference the cable you're looking at with the database of certified products. A $15 cable from this list is probably going to perform much better than an uncertified $70 one with a lot of fancy marketing buzzwords. HDMI has a similar database.
https://www.displayport.org/product-category/cables-adaptors/

The cable I had was "certified" and had thousands of positive 5 star reviews & actually worked fine until I moved it around one day & I guess I bent some pins or damaged it that one time & ever since then it couldn't produce the same bandwidth that it used to. Either that or the cable started failing on It's own. Not really sure what happened but the cable that came with the monitor works perfectly lol

Yes, they’ve been shown to be the same as 5 dollar cables. The extra money is just going toward their marketing campaign and wallets.
There is no secret ingredience in cables that would warrant all the high-end hype. It's simple physics and the rest is pure marketing and placebo effect. I am not aware of any double blind test where the listener was actually able to tell the difference between a cheap and a super expensive cable.

There is no secret ingredience in cables that would warrant all the high-end hype. It's simple physics and the rest is pure marketing and placebo effect. I am not aware of any double blind test where the listener was actually able to tell the difference between a cheap and a super expensive cable.

If I remember correctly when someone did this test a while back most people chose the comedy option as sounding best which was a copper coat hanger.

Back