MXM to PCI-e Adapter, why does no-one make this?

mrluckypants96

Limp Gawd
So I can find cheap MXM cards on eBay and sites like that, and MXM is supposed to be a Mobile PCI-e variant, so why does no-one make an adapter to allow the use of MXM cards in PCI-e slots?

I've seen pictures of prototypes like this one...

mxmI-mxmII-to-pcie.jpg

...But they apparently never made it to market. Anyone know of anything like this in production? If not, how hard would it be to make your own? It looks like a passive adapter, with only external power in and video out.

The only one I can find commercially is HERE, and it's $375 each with a minimum quantity of 10. Any Ideas?

You know there's a reason an MXM card is cheap right? It means they weren't popular, AND the performance sucks.

It's because it's a MOBILE variant, so you'd be lucky if it even has 2/3 the performance of the desktop part.

All of these cards under $50 here are slower than a GeForce GT 710.

mxm video card in Computer Graphics and Video Cards | eBay

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I know, I made a laptop with a desktop GPU, and now I want to do the opposite. I've got an i7 920XM on the way (With a Socket G1 ITX motherboard), and I wanted to pair it with like a 6970M or something. Mostly just for fun.

Mobile GPUs have worse perf/$ and lower perf ceiling then desktop ones, so there is basically 0 practical application for this and hence no market to cater to in developing such a product.

Yeah i get building for fun but it's obvious why they don't really produce these things in any significant quantity.

oh how i wish my laptop had that.... i would dump the r9 m375 4gb gpu in my laptop...

Back