MX700 painting :), Mouse done, base next (pics)

To those who have painted there mouse and have kept the arrow buttons on the side. Did you sand then paint or jsut paint. And do the arrows come off when you sand?

Actually, from what I've followed in his mouse and keyboard exploits, if you just apply the spray without the ground coat, the decals stay on. He explains that the color spray itself is a clear spray with color tint. Check out his keyboard posts to see examples of that in action.

well fella's i just took mine apart and the bondo is drying...im goin campin till sunday, so i will sand/paint when i get home...ill post pics when done :)

i hope it doesnt turn out like mine :(

i let my bondo dry for one day and when i sanded it with 320 i sanded it smoothe then i ran over it with some 600 and when i painted there was a ring around where the bondo was..... like i didnt put enought. :( so i sanded it down and bondoed again and it worked then i put 2 coats of clear coat on both the cover and cradle and guess what.... the mouse doesnt sit on the cradle... by that i mean that its not connecting to charge. so i got mad and jammed it in there and now the paint on the mouse is all pushed up with big ass dents in it.. if my brother can find his camera ill show you. im waiting for the mx1000 (i aint modding that thing hells no)

i had painted both my mouse and keyboard in the green version of the duplicolor metalcast and it looked prefect for about a week and now the paint on the mouse where it sits in the cradle is all fading. oh well guess that means ill have to redo it sometime soon.

That...or add a layer of clear coat to the mouse. It'll help protect the finish for a while.

File said:
I painted my mouse with the same metalicast and same method as you did.

Do you expierence a build up of.. Gunk? Like near the thumb side underneath the back and forward buttons? Seems like residue from my fingers just gets into little.. build ups =\

haha wash ya damn hands

matrixfan0831 said:
To those who have painted there mouse and have kept the arrow buttons on the side. Did you sand then paint or jsut paint. And do the arrows come off when you sand?
Quit skimming, the posts already cover this question

DRJ1014 said:
the arrows are going to come off if you paint as well

The lables will stay if you use the clear red (or other color) provided you do not sand. The paint doesn't make them go away magicly

Pretty high moisture in the air here, so I haven't had a chance to paint mine again and add the clear coat. But soon :)

well, ok im done sanding off the bondo, although i now need to get some of that ground coat...i just sprayed on a very thin layer of white paint just to fill in little holes around the medalion, once dried i will sand it all of back to the base, and then apply ground coat...although so far so good :)

UserError said:
Yar, can't find any of the color I want. Anybody in the DC metro area seen any silver/green or red/blue mirage 2 tone paint?

Ive seen it on cars, its actually a pearl mixture - I dont know where you can buy it for sure but theres a automotive paint shop in College park that may have it. I think its the Brewyn Hieghts Industrial Park, it runs parallel with Greenbelt road at the intersection of rhode island ave.

STRESSTEST:

How many coats of base/color/clear did you use?
How many times did you sand and with which grain?

Godo said:
STRESSTEST:

How many coats of base/color/clear did you use?
How many times did you sand and with which grain?

2/3/none I'll have to respray the red and do a clear when I get around to it.

Sanding was done with 800 wet/dry paper under the faucet in the kitchen sink every time. 1000 grit prior to the last coard of red

- dumb ques.
exaclty what kind of bondo
like the kind in a red squeezy thing like 4 oz or something else and do i need any other bondo stuff.

just wondering, ive tryed painting mice in the past, and it looks liek you did an awsome job, but how did you clear coat the paint? everything i use seems to come off with use... acrylic wears away, ive even tryed car wax, but its no good....

matrixfan0831 said:
- dumb ques.
exaclty what kind of bondo
like the kind in a red squeezy thing like 4 oz or something else and do i need any other bondo stuff.

Yes

theshadow27 said:
just wondering, ive tryed painting mice in the past, and it looks liek you did an awsome job, but how did you clear coat the paint? everything i use seems to come off with use... acrylic wears away, ive even tryed car wax, but its no good....

As I said. I didn't. Please read the whole thread, there is a lot of crucial info sprinkled throughout

Alright finally did my mouse and put gloss. Its morning now and the gloss hardened but how long til i can use my mouse normally again. I put it in the base and i think it started to make indections. So I took it out. I think temporarily ill just take the batteries out.

I wouldn't put it in the cradle till that soft feeling of the paint goes away. It's more noticeable when it's warm, like when it is charging.

Thanks for responding, STRESSTEST.

Two more questions for ya:

1. Will you sand the final color coat before applying clear coat?

2. Did you have any problems with the color can "spitting"?

The project is going great so far, but on the color phase I have had a lot of problems with the can "spitting" onto the keyboard (mouse got lucky, less area). It produces spots of deep color that are difficult to sand out. I've tried holding the can at different angles, but it always seems to do this. The excess builds up near the nozzle and starts running down the can... Any suggestions?

Ive been working on my keyboard too and i can tell you spitting sucks....
but i think it has to do with the head getting build up on it and you need to clean that off
im gonna use a rag with some alcohol on it and make sure i get the build up off of the head and if there is any build up on the metal directly in front of the head. I think it hits that and gets gunky and spits..... but to be completely honest i dont know this is a guess.

Godo said:
Thanks for responding, STRESSTEST.

Two more questions for ya:

1. Will you sand the final color coat before applying clear coat?

2. Did you have any problems with the color can "spitting"?

The project is going great so far, but on the color phase I have had a lot of problems with the can "spitting" onto the keyboard (mouse got lucky, less area). It produces spots of deep color that are difficult to sand out. I've tried holding the can at different angles, but it always seems to do this. The excess builds up near the nozzle and starts running down the can... Any suggestions?

1) yes, maybe a 1200 or lighter
2) Yes, matrixfan0831 summed it up exactly. The messy nozzle is to blame. be religous about checking it or you'll be mad :p

I glossed mine last week and it still feels a bit soft. Im dont know if its ready to charge yet. Im afraid it will shove the paint up and deform it. I did it a day after and it slightly messed up but just slightly. So i took it out and ive just been taking out one battery to conserve power. How long is long enough?

Mine are fully cured now, but I'd say mine took something like 2 weeks to cure enough for me to be ok with the idea of using the cradle again. Now I can dig my fingernail into it and not cause any damage. 1 week into it, I could have still scraped it off pretty easily.

I used a external battery charger for a while and two sets of batteries.

On a totally unrelated note...

There was some water damage done to my roomies base of his MX700. How on earth do we take it apart to dry things out?

Alright step by step.
1.On the bottom there are two screws under the sticker. One on the top left of the logitech logo and the other on the oppisite side. Take these out
2.next the top should come off but be careful b/c a wire is connecting it to the black part. On the bottom of the top silver top there should be a black plastic peice screwed in with the connecting wire on it. Unscrew both screws here and the paintable top should come off.
3.To reassemble jsut rescrew it all in.

SimJoe said:
yeah.. i was too lazy to take it off.. and i thought it might look good :D
lol, oh well

You should have masked it. Then you could go back and paint over, remove, whatever if you didn't like it original :p

I'll have to keep this in mind when my MX500 wears down a bit. So far it's held up quite well--past a year now and it still looks new.

Very very very interesting and informative thread, stresstest...

/me looks at his Asus laptop with original paint starting to wear off near the palm rests... Then looks at logitech optical mouse supplied with the laptop...

I did paint my old logitech optical mouse (standard old 2-button one) in gloss black, and changed the LED to a blue one, it was sechsay as hell... then a week later house was burgled and that mouse stolen :mad:

Now the question is... Where to find duplicolor metalcast here in Thailand??? :p :confused:

Now the question is... Where to find duplicolor metalcast here in Thailand???
LOL, I hope you find some, if not I'd think some of the guys here would help out. ;)

awwwwww i gotta sand my mx down again.. i messed up again >(

STRESSTEST said:
no one here can legally ship it to you there unless they go by boat. Good luck.

yeah that's the problem we have at work as well, we need to import some chemicals that are usually available as sprays, but need to ask the manufacturers to ship by sea freight or by air, but in liquid form...

So... can you send me a couple one gallon drums of duplicolor, anyone? :D

Something you all may want to try to get rid of spitting paint...

First:

Before painting sit the cans in a bowl of warm to hot water for about 10 - 15 minutes to bring the internal pressure up in the can and thin the paint a bit.

Second:

If you are going to stop painting for even 10 minutes, turn the can upside down and spray into a garbage can or outside until nothing comes out but propellant, once there is no paint out, the hole in the tip is clean and you can stop spraying, usually takes 5-7 seconds. Clearing the tip like this works with all curable coatins sprayed from a aerosol can.

Just some thoughts.

Also, since I haven't seen anyone else think of this. All this work to make a coating look good, perhaps there are some of us that don't care for looks as much as performance. I was personally thinking something along the lines of a rubberized coating similar to that of the rest of the mouse would be nice for the entire thing. Any thoughts? I was thinking of trying a tool handle coating.

I started mine tonight. I'm doing purple :)

It's going to look awesome.

I'll post pics when it's done.

hi guys, was reading this post, and decited id paint my mouse to match my keyboard and case, but sadly i got exicted and took it apart to fast and the scrolling wheel came apart from its little holding, can any of yous explane how the srpings go back on it and how its all held together?

lol slow down hot pants.

ummm. no clue.

i have my mx 700 here that i totally f'ed up on. you wanna buy it off me? you just have to take your cover plate and put it on.

the rest is fine.

DRJ1014 thats tempting, but the only prob is that i have the MX510, wouldnt be able to use your mouse with out a base thing

Ok... I took some time out of my day to help you here. I am a very busy person, and this was a pain in the ass. Now you owe me big time. That means if I need a person to help me out in a multi level marketing scheme, or a bitch for the weekend to do chores, you're it. Got it?

/sarcasm

Here ya go.

Left side
Top view
Right side

Back