MX1000 to G700s=Sweaty Hands, Inferior Build, HELP!!

ccityinstaller

Supreme [H]ardness
Hey guys,

My trusty Logitech MX1000 has finally reached its EOL, after taking a daily beating from 2005~current! The MX1000 was a beast of a mouse, great quality, and never had any issues connecting etc..

I was in BestBuy two days ago killing time, and I happened upon the G700s..I have read so many glowing reviews of this mouse..Coupled with the sale price of $74, I decided to take the plunge and retire the MX1000..I got home to find the G700s comes fully charged (awesome!) and jumped right into using it..

Well I will say the texture on the sides is going to take some getting used to, but it isn't a deal breaker..My main concern(s) are the fact that the G700s makes my hand sweat. I have no idea why it would, but after two days of use to make sure it wasn't a fluke, it appears to happen after more then 20 minutes of use..

The other issue is the build quality..The MX1000, even after 8 years of daily abuse, STILL screams quality! Every button functions perfectly, just like it did from day one. The G700s, on the other hand, feels much more cheaply built..It weighs a good deal less, and if you shake it you can hear some noise where the MX1000 doesn't make a peep..The side buttons on the G700S are mushy, and have ZERO feedback..They are cheap plastic, and feel exactly like cheap plastic does. The scroll wheel on the MX1000 , while plastic, feels high quality, and gives a nice distinct "click" feedback when you use it. The G700s, while using a metal scroll wheel, has some "play" in it, allowing it to rock side to side, which is what causes the noise when you shake the mouse. Even with the Hyper Scroll lock button pressed in, the wheel can still scroll very fast, instead of moving in nice, even steps like the MX1000. I haven't had time to play any games with the G700s yet, so I cannot comment on the quality/function of the top three index finger buttons.

What do you guys think I should do? Return the G700s and try to find something better? My options are very limited since I need a wireless mouse, so after an Amazon search today, the top contenders seem to be the G700s, the R.A.T. 9, and the Razer Mamba..IS there anything else I missed?

I won a R.A.T. 7 from a contest, and while I never used it since it was wired, I could tell it wasn't the mouse for me due to it's shape, so that rules the R.A.T.9 out. I really, really love the MX1000's shape, which is why I have used it for so long. This is also what got me excited about the G700s since it is very close to the MX1000 in feel..

What do you guys think about the Razer Mamba? There aren't any local stores that stock it, but I will going to Micro Center (2 hr drive) on Tuesday since I have to take my father to a Dr. 5 miles down the street..I plan on checking out the Mamba's feel while in the store, but that is a short time to make a decision..The Mamba is also very costly. MC sells it for $145, but I can get them to price match Amazon's $114. Even with the price match, we are talking about $~40 more then the G700s' sale price @ BestBuy..

Is the Mamba's build quality better then a G700s? I have read several threads where people say Razer's products work well, but tend to fall apart after a year or two, which worries me. OTH, I honestly cannot seeing the G700s lasting anywhere near as long as the MX1000 has..IT simply lacks the build quality..The MX1000 was pricey back in '05 @ $99 from the 'Egg, but that breaks down to $12.37 per year over it's lifetime..Issues aside, if I could squeeze 3 years out of the G700s, that is $26 a year..

Any advice/alternatives would be great guys..I really, really, wanted the G700s to work out the way I expected it to, which is why I didn't use it for 2 hrs and decide to return it..But 2 solid days of use hasn't changed my mind on any of it's short comings, especially the "sweaty hand" problem..

I sometimes sweat with my MX518 (intense situations), it's not even the texture of the mouse for me. I just keep a towel/paper towel nearby and dry my hands every so often. Sweat is definitely a performance reducer, but i love my MX518... so it's something i'm willing to deal with.

The sweating has nothing to do with the mosue it has everything to do with your LCD screen and little to do with environmental conditions. Your LCD excites your nervous system thus the flicker makes you sweat more. I never had a problem until I started using LCDs.

The sweating has nothing to do with the mosue it has everything to do with your LCD screen and little to do with environmental conditions. Your LCD excites your nervous system thus the flicker makes you sweat more. I never had a problem until I started using LCDs.

wat.

The textured surface definitely takes some getting used to. When I went from my MX518 to a G500 one of the first things that I hated was the textured surface on the side of the mouse. I almost sent my G500 back because of that, but I forced myself to use it and eventually I got used to it. The surface should wear down and not feel so gritty as you use it more. After a few months of use I went from hating it to absolutely loving it.

I had a MX1000 and had the same complaints when the wife "upgraded" to the G700. I'm currently using a Mionix Naos 8200; it has a similar shape to the MX1000 and feels higher quality than the G700 but it's not wireless nor is it as "beastly" as the MX.

What he said:eek::eek:!...I have used LCDs since '04 and never had any "sweating" problems..I sit about 5.5' away from my LCD since it's 42" in size lol...

The sweating issue only started when I switched to the G700s..I went back and tried my MX1000 over the last 12 hrs or so and not a problem at all, where as I have to wipe my hand when using the G700s, and this is just with web/general use. I cannot imagine what an intense gaming situation would do.:(

I wonder if baby power would help you out. Perhaps sprinkle a little on your hand and see what happens.

Posture plays a big part in the sweat thing on your palms. I noticed when I keep my hand flat on a mouse, it sweats...I arched my hand a year or two ago and the problem went away.

I wonder if baby power would help you out. Perhaps sprinkle a little on your hand and see what happens.

KK, I thought about this, but I am afraid that over time this would build up and get also get down inside the mouse itself, and do who knows what :(...

Posture plays a big part in the sweat thing on your palms. I noticed when I keep my hand flat on a mouse, it sweats...I arched my hand a year or two ago and the problem went away.

While this seems like a sound idea, do you this only while gaming or every time you touch a mouse? I am curious since I wonder if it will cause any sort of cramping etc..I have large hands, which sorta means I HAVE to touch the mouse in some fashion...

After a trip to MC yesterday and nearly buying the Razer Mamba, I have decided to give the G700s a bit more time...The Mamba was in this fancy plastic case which prohibted any chance of seeing how it fits your hand, and for $134, I wasn't going to eye ball it...It is insane to think that a store as great as MC has ZERO mice on display, unlike every sTaples/BB/otherbigstore...

It could be your hand reacting to the new surface. It could go away after the roughness gets worn a little and the paint isn't so fresh.

IMHO the MX1000 was the best mouse Logitech ever made. A shame they stopped making them. The bluetooth version sucked though. Mine went to a dughter and I never got it back. I've been using the G5 and the 518 since but they aren't the same quality IMO. I don't think I'll ever find a mouse as good as the MX1000 again. To me it was perfection and that's a word I rarely use to describe something. I wish I had bought a couple extra when they were still in production.

IMHO the MX1000 was the best mouse Logitech ever made. A shame they stopped making them. The bluetooth version sucked though. Mine went to a dughter and I never got it back. I've been using the G5 and the 518 since but they aren't the same quality IMO. I don't think I'll ever find a mouse as good as the MX1000 again. To me it was perfection and that's a word I rarely use to describe something. I wish I had bought a couple extra when they were still in production.

Yeah. Exactly. After having a MX1000 in the past, every time someone mentions a more recent Logitech mouse as being good, I get a good laugh. I said this in another thread recently, but I'll repeat it here - buying Logitech equipment today is like buying Bose audio. A lot of people do it only because they're familiar with the brand, even when better is available. I would take a used MX1000 over ANY new Logitech even today.

Idea: would you guys be interested in a reproduced mx1000?

Idea: would you guys be interested in a reproduced mx1000?

I would..I mean the one I have is still "functional" for normal use, I just feel like the tracking is a bit off..After messing around with it, I really think the issue is the tiny ass teflon feet and the fact they are worn down so much..

Same thing for me I changed from a awesome old Logitech Pweformance MX mouse to the G700s and the damn thing makes my hand sweat!!!

The best mouse ever was the mx revolution(rf version), everything since has been a let down.
Logitech: Please bring this mouse back with the upraded sensor in the g700s.

they had to of ran in to this during testing.... like it happens right away... its strange. not sure if I am going to keep this or return it.

Back