MW3's "elite" (premium) service, Beginning of the End

Status
Not open for further replies.

lilbabycat

2[H]4U
So Activision announced the details of MW3's elite (ie: the paid subscription premium service) today.

$50 a year (in addition to the game) for all the standard 'free' stuff you get from TF2 (or soon to be BF3) as well as all the paid DLC. (which according to them/the press will mean at least a $10 savings if you were to just buy all the DLC).

Let me tell you what I see happening:
-This will be a smashing success.
-Activision will adopt this format to other games
-The rest of the industry will slowly adopt to this format
-The videogame industry will slowly turn into a segmented set of premium subscription services, similar to the cable industry. There will be an "activision premium" sub, a "EA/Origin premium sub" etc etc. This will be the only way to play AAA titles, unless you choose to play the basic, completely gutted, retail copy (which will eventually disappear itself)
-Then one of them will increase the subscription cost by $2, then another will increase it by $5. Then you know we're all screwed.

Paranoia? Sad reality?

I for one can live without cod's shitty mappacks or really any paid dlc for that matter. In fact the only dlc I've ever spent money on was the borderlands dlc which was on a steam sale.

I find it outrageous that they are charging 15 dollars per pack, that's 65 dollars if you bought every one. That's more than the game itself cost, and people are just eating it up. Back in my day (lol) expansion packs added a whole new campaign, new badguys, new weapons, and usually some multilayer maps and the cost was less than half the games original price.

We really have no one to blame but ourselves (and by that I mean console kiddies who beg their parents to buy mappacks for 15 dollars a pop

I dont think this will become the norm anytime soon. The fact is that for most games adding a subscription service like this will just die. You have to realise that most games dont have a large strong community for more than a month or two after release. I'm sure most developers would realise that adding a paid subscription service would simply be shooting themselves in the foot for 98% of games.

You need to start with a game that you know is going to sell millions of copies, that you know will be played heavily even long after its initial release. Activision have that in COD. Not many other games can say the same, and as such this business model will not catch on, maybe in many years it will, but I'm not too worried at this stage.

In Don Kings voice.."Only on Consoles!"

I dont think this will become the norm anytime soon.

Think again..Epic just pulled the same bullshit with GOW3..

Epic design director aka SCUMBAG Cliff Bleszinski has explained on Twitter that the four DLC packs referenced in the Season Pass announcement aren't just new multiplayer maps. There will be new campaign content, and he emphasized the "new" part -- it won't be stuff that's been cut out.

http://www.1up.com/news/gears-of-war-3-first-four-dlc-packs-season-pass

This is why they "love"console gamers...

I don't know why you keep referencing "console" gamers. This stuff is coming just as fast to the PC because people can't stop paying for all the shiny stuff no matter how much crap publishers attach to it.

Origin, Steam, Uplay, B.Net, and GFWL are just going to keep on offering up their plates of shit with a side order of something cool and the palettes of gamers are going to keep on drooling with anticipation as they keep fleecing gamers over. Pretty soon everything is going to be subscription based or a variant FtP model.

The problem I see is that where CoD is where this stuff begins at, it slowly leaks into other games. What was taboo 10 years ago (ex: that in-game DLC dialogue in Dragon Age) is accepted today. What is taboo today (this premium service) will be the norm in 10 years.

There needs to be a backlash NOW, not in the future. Look how long it took consumers to recover from the music industry's price fixing? Or the downfall of the movie industry (which in my opinion recovered, but now is back towards a downward slope of trash)...

I know, unfortunately, enough sheep are going to open their wallets and make this concept take off.

The problem I see is that where CoD is where this stuff begins at, it slowly leaks into other games. What was taboo 10 years ago (ex: that in-game DLC dialogue in Dragon Age) is accepted today. What is taboo today (this premium service) will be the norm in 10 years.

There needs to be a backlash NOW, not in the future. Look how long it took consumers to recover from the music industry's price fixing? Or the downfall of the movie industry (which in my opinion recovered, but now is back towards a downward slope of trash)...

You're more optimistic than I am with your time frames. Inside of 5 years easy.

At the rate things are going I see myself basically out of gaming by the end of the decade at the latest.

pretty sickening, easy way to avoid though, don't support that generic, crap pos of a game. I really doubt this will catch on.

The only people suckered into it will be thick console kiddies. as long as we still have awesome devs like tripwire, valve etc,(people that actually care about gamers and don't see them a bag of money) we will be fine.

pretty sickening, easy way to avoid though, don't support that generic, crap pos of a game. I really doubt this will catch on.

The only people suckered into it will be thick console kiddies. as long as we still have awesome devs like tripwire, valve etc,(people that actually care about gamers and don't see them a bag of money) we will be fine.

You're much more optimistic than I. Go back and look at all the threads for Origin, UPlay, and their ilk and see how many PC defenders they have.

You're much more optimistic than I. Go back and look at all the threads for Origin, UPlay, and their ilk and see how many PC defenders they have.

Feels pretty hopeless at that rate.

If this ends up in a more robust single player off-line campaign game but means I have to give up multiplayer, count me in. I don't play the multiplyer on most games.

The thing is, it seems really focused on Consoles and PC is getting shafted even with this type of bullshit. They only sell hardened/prestige/w/e the fuck editions on consoles not PC anymore. CoD elite rarely mentions PC(they even said the beta wouldn't come to PC). Seriously they really make people hate them more and more. I enjoy cod, but if they keep being console fan++++s I'll say FUCK YOU too. :mad:

The thing is, it seems really focused on Consoles and PC is getting shafted even with this type of bullshit.

I fail to see the bad part...I would think PC gamers are a little to savvy to fall for this type of bullshit so why even insult us..Remember MS trying to get PC gamers to shell out $50 for GFWL?..Went up like a lead balloon..:rolleyes:

There won't be a backlash because the console gamers eat this shit up.

Valve is making..sorry...enticing people pay for items in TF2.

What were you saying about Valve? :D

I dont see many people getting this service, I think they get 10% of their user base at best on this and I think unless they can really add something for those people they will loose the majority of those subscribers. Honestly I think they would be a lot better off going for a micro transaction set up on guns and gear. Its going to be a lot easier for kids to convince their parents to hand over their cc info for a gun or something that costs two or three dollars than to get them to buy a yearly subscription.

-The videogame industry will slowly turn into a segmented set of premium subscription services, similar to the cable industry. There will be an "activision premium" sub, a "EA/Origin premium sub" etc etc. This will be the only way to play AAA titles, unless you choose to play the basic, completely gutted, retail copy (which will eventually disappear itself)
-Then one of them will increase the subscription cost by $2, then another will increase it by $5. Then you know we're all screwed.

Paranoia? Sad reality?

The only thing that's still uncertain now is the first point. Time will tell if it turns out successful or not. If it does, then I can see all the other points you brought up happening.:eek:

If it is successful, there is no reason why other big franchise like Battlefied, GTA, TES, Mass Effect, etc. wouldn't adopt this business model.

In fact, looking at recent presentation by gaming companies like EA, online features with social services and content delivery seems to be a very popular concept, they are promoting it for Battlefield 3, FIFA 2012, and so on that comes with all these social features. If these online features becomes an important part of video games in the future, I don't see what's stopping them from charging for it as a premium service.

For example, Sims 3 now allows user to share custom in game characters, buildings and other stuff online, albeit still requiring a web site to download them. But then why not make it an integrated part of the game in Sims 4, where you have an online service to add friends, chat with people, share files, and all, but its a premium subscription based service. They might even follow MW3 footsteps by releasing additional in-game contents on this service, and people do buy these virtual items right now. Therefore sadly, I can see many of these people would subscribe to such service.

Last edited:
The thing is, it seems really focused on Consoles and PC is getting shafted even with this type of bullshit. They only sell hardened/prestige/w/e the fuck editions on consoles not PC anymore. CoD elite rarely mentions PC(they even said the beta wouldn't come to PC). Seriously they really make people hate them more and more. I enjoy cod, but if they keep being console fan++++s I'll say FUCK YOU too. :mad:

Wait, you are afraid this won't come to PC? Why are you upset that you aren't treated with the same amount of disrespect as consolites?

You're more optimistic than I am with your time frames. Inside of 5 years easy.

I think you're right. Look at how fast PC game prices jumped up to 60 dollars after MW2 started that trend. I expected it to take at least a bit longer than that, but now almost every AAA game is 59.99.

So Activision announced the details of MW3's elite (ie: the paid subscription premium service) today.

$50 a year (in addition to the game) for all the standard 'free' stuff you get from TF2 (or soon to be BF3) as well as all the paid DLC. (which according to them/the press will mean at least a $10 savings if you were to just buy all the DLC).

Paranoia? Sad reality?

It won't be successful with any serious games. The fact that the series is successful says that there are a certain group of people out there who like this kind of thing. They might be a big group, but what they like really isn't any good, and it won't fly with anyone else.

CoD series is very mediocre is several aspects. The SP has been miserable sense CoD2, with its heavy scripting and extreme linearity. Still, it appeals to people who to people who don't really appropriate gameplay, and just want an epic feel.

I can't comment on CoD2 MP, but from CoD4 onwards it is very bad. And when I say "bad" I don't mean that the devs failed to accomplish what they wanted. I mean that it is bad by design. It's not competitive or thoughtful in anyway. There is very little learning curve. It is designed so anyone at any skill level can hop on a random pub and do at least alright. TDM is just FFA with teams. Maps don't have team spawn areas or contention points like any real MP FPS would. (Take Spearhead or AA for example) It's designed to give random change a huge leg up over skill to even the playing field and make it as mindless a melee as possible.

The people who play these game don't care that being charged 15$ for a couple of poorly designed maps is a rip off. They don't notice that the games they are buying are essentially new skins on the same old concept. They have money, because they don't play a big variety of games, and are willing to spend it on new visuals to break up the tedium, and for them that's good enough to keep them entertained. And really, that's what gaming is all about ultimately.

I am sure this game will be popular on:

tpblogo_sm_ny.gif

The unfortunate thing is the CoD fanboys will lap the shit out of this not thinking long term. There is a slight glimmer that this will kill the franchise but I won't hold my breath.

Also,just think of the impact on used game sales..For every sheep that buys into this shit,thats 1 less copy being,traded in,sold on ebay etc..

I actually might get the Hardened on PS3 since it's supposed to come with a year of Elite which should be the life span of the game. I wasn't originally planning on getting the game since I hate how they market and sell DLC, but meh if the Hardened Edition really comes with free Elite(aka DLC) then I'll probably bite.

Anybody remember when CoD was a pretty good WWII Shooter with a deep campaign being told from different perspectives of the war? I miss that.

Paying for extra shit started on the PC way before it ever hit console. Than as usual PC gaming AIDS infected consoles and idiotic PC gamers, err hardware lovers, blamed the console. Subscriptions have been around for PC games for a long ass time as well. This is nothing new really.

Paying for extra shit started on the PC way before it ever hit console. Than as usual PC gaming AIDS infected consoles and idiotic PC gamers, err hardware lovers, blamed the console. Subscriptions have been around for PC games for a long ass time as well. This is nothing new really.

notsureifseriousqn.jpg

The concept of paying a premium for subscription services and paying extra for post release content/non base game content actually did start on PCs.

Keep in mind even the concept of and ability for consoles to be connected to online services and be able to get post release content is a comparatively new thing.

Regarding MW3 elite service and its impact on the industry, COD is not a innovator, and I mean this in every way. Even this elite service is not something innovative they are trying to push, Activision has seen and done the research and people will pay for this stuff. The truth is in every way COD is not an innovator, it follows the mainstream trends in gaming which is why it is so popular. Conversely speaking, COD clones actually always end up disappointing the publishers that push them (how many COD clones are there really?). Let us look at this is way, if you are a mainstream casual gamer who only buys a few games, would you buy COD (which everyone you know will) or the COD clone?

I'm 100% serious. The concept of pay to play perscriptions and paying for content started on the PC, idiotic PC gamers proved it would work. Consoles didn't have online for dick until recently.

They tested it on the PC and it worked like crazy because of PC gamers. They are now moving it to consoles because that's where the money did.

It's another case of bullshit starting on the PC and moving to the console.

That happens all the time. And then PC gamers, in typical fashion, lie and ignore history and pretend it started on console.

It's fine if you don't like it, but don't pretend that this bit of bullshit wasn't started and perfected on the PC.

The unfortunate thing is the CoD fanboys will lap the shit out of this not thinking long term. There is a slight glimmer that this will kill the franchise but I won't hold my breath.

We are talking video games not our 401k investments.

Yes subscriptions have existed, but not for an FPS. I would understand if you pay $50 to play CoD MW3 for the one year and not have to buy the game then, you save $10 that way and next year the new one comes out so it would be a win win, but to pay $50 on top of $60, no.

BTW, this whole shit started with Bobby Kotick, that is why MW2 didn't have dedicated servers and whatnot. It is that douche bags fault, its not nice to wish people dead, but I wish that idiot was dead.

Yes subscriptions have existed, but not for an FPS. I would understand if you pay $50 to play CoD MW3 for the one year and not have to buy the game then, you save $10 that way and next year the new one comes out so it would be a win win, but to pay $50 on top of $60, no.

BTW, this whole shit started with Bobby Kotick, that is why MW2 didn't have dedicated servers and whatnot. It is that douche bags fault, its not nice to wish people dead, but I wish that idiot was dead.

Paying for extra content has though, and that also started on the PC, the king platform for bullshit.

CoD is a side issue, it's just a game with strong enough sales to actually push something like this and not have it blow up in their face.

And there have been some large scale FPS games with subscriptions before.... just only on the PC, as always, the land where this sort of thing starts.

I am sure this game will be popular on:

tpblogo_sm_ny.gif

Without a doubt. It's like they want people to be so put out that they just quit spending their money with them. Then again, with this new model, they only need 1/3 of the sales + 2 years worth of subscriptions to make the same amount of money. Certainly more than 1/3 of the people that buy COD are moron enough to do this. I see a net gain in profits from this. :(

Last edited:
Paying for extra content has though, and that also started on the PC, the king platform for bullshit.

CoD is a side issue, it's just a game with strong enough sales to actually push something like this and not have it blow up in their face.

And there have been some large scale FPS games with subscriptions before.... just only on the PC, as always, the land where this sort of thing starts.

Please name those FPS games for me. Aside from a racing game, and mmo's, I can't remember any off the top of my head.

Well, I suppose there is Gametap, but you get access to hundreds of games for that subscription, not just one game. If you would like to count that you can but, you may have either, been too young, or have conveniently forgotten, the mid 90's and the Sega Channel.

Edit: Ooh, ooh, I remembered two FPS/MMO games for you that had some sort of subscription model, they both failed spectacularly on the PC.

You serious? I really cant tell if you are serious or not..

Paying for extra content started on what? I know back in old days we called them "Expansion" pack, and that is far more contents than any DLC these days.
Expansion Pack these days on consoles are called "Sequel" .....
DLC started on consoles.. No clue what you trying to defend.

What kind of game like CoD charge you to play beside those shitty Kimchi Game?

Give me a example before you act serious...

He is a very ardent defender of his favored platform. The Wii I think.

It's not a side issue. It is the issue. PC gamers have never complained about subscription fees. Hell I donate to clans who host servers I like in CSS. It's not an issue of paying money. PC gamers are in fact very giving to people who deserve it. Activision is doing nothing to deserve this money

It's not a side issue. It is the issue. PC gamers have never complained about subscription fees. Hell I donate to clans who host servers I like in CSS. It's not an issue of paying money. PC gamers are in fact very giving to people who deserve it. Activision is doing nothing to deserve this money

Really? There has been a whole ton of pillow biting and screaming on this forum alone over DLC lately. Yes it wasn't an issue in the past and I certainly never encountered people that whined over having to pay for expansions, DLC, subscriptions or shit in the past, but it's come up now.

The only explanation I can find for it is that "we can blame the consoles and thus cry harder that we're being left behind, whiners unite!".

If they aren't deserving of it, don't pay it. Countless PC games with micro transactions, pay to play models have up and died off because the game wasn't good enough. If you don't like it, don't play.

He is a very ardent defender of his favored platform. The Wii I think

I prefer arcade machines honestly. Though arcades > consoles > mobiles > PC. I like some games on the Wii. Muramasa, No more Heroes, Mad World, Knights, Sin and Punishment 2, all come to mind and those aren't even Nintendo titles. Getting a new contra and old school style castlevania was great as well.

I like games, I largely could give a shit about the platform they are on. I like fighters, bullethell style shooters, RPGs and strategy games. So logically importing arcade boards is where I start and I enjoy a lot of the content on consoles.

I don't play CoD or crap like that. I get my FPS fix in Quake Live and Quake World, both are top notch games. I'd love for a Quake 5, but I don't see that happening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back