MW3 free weekend --My impressions.

OmegaSupreme

Limp Gawd
Hello there everyone! :D

Thought I'd give you my impressions of MW3. I haven't been a fan of the COD series since World at War, but since this game outsold everything in history, I thought I'd give it a try.
Now let me preempt this by saying I've been gaming for quite some time --since when Quake 2 was cutting edge.
I've played CS and BF1942 since beta and was even on a CAL team for CS. So I've been around you could say.
Now I also would like to state, that I'm mainly an FPS player. I've played a few RTS's, but I don't really like that style of play.
I STILL own 3 COD titles. COD1, COD2 and COD world at war. And I've played COD4 and now COD MW3. So I've pretty much seen almost all of them.

So on to my opinion of the game.

The First thing that struck me was DX9. Seriously? The game was released what? 3 months ago and it's not even DX10? WTF?!?!?! :confused:
The graphics weren't bad, per se, but definitely not great. Quite honestly, BFBC2 looks WAY better (and BFBC2 is DX11!!!)
The second thing that got me was the environment. There's invisible barriers all over the place. Little bushes that you think you could hide in are basically solid. Some pretty bad mapping to say the least.

The character models are pretty drab. There's no real variety, as it seems, and the only way you can tell your enemy from your teammate is if they have a indicator over their head. Sucks.
Quite honestly, I think that the scenery and the player models looked better in COD: WAW!

Then the more I played, the more I realized at how unbalanced the game was. The higher level you are, the more "perks" and "upgrades" you have to give you an unfair advantage over your competition. Pretty piss poor for balancing IMO.
Why should someone that's a higher level get better stuff and things to make the game easier? While the noobie has nothing and it's really difficult for them? Not a good way to retain new players.

Then there's the gameplay. The movement seems decent for the most part. Not too sluggish, although when sprinting it seems to cut out too often.
It also seems as though my highly trained soldier can't jump, but then again, this could also be in part due to the poor model mapping.
The maps seem decent for the most part. Although, they seem small and cramped, even though they follow the Multi-player rule of making it circular. They weren't exciting or really cool IMO. They're just there so people can run around and shoot each other.
Spawn killing wasn't bad at all though. In the brief time I played, I got spawn killed only once.

And here's the most annoying thing about the game --hackers. And yes there are lots of them. Thanks to the handy dandy killcam, I've spotted people walling, and have their "bot" setup to autoshoot too. Pathetic. What's the point of playing, if you're not really playing? :confused:

At any rate, there's my mini review of just a really awful game (IMO).

Personally I think any COD game when viewed in isolation is actually a pretty good game, its when viewed as a series they're shit.

Dx9 or not doesn't really matter all that much. TW2 is DX9, Crysis 1 looked better in DX9 4 and a half years ago than most games today running DX10 or 11. That said I agree MW3 looks like shit, DX9 isn't to blame though, its the developers not putting in the effort to make decent textures and stuff.

The game didn't seem that unbalanced to me. As with most COD games, the gun you use is secondary to how you use it. Its just the nature of a game in tight maps when it only takes a couple of bullets to kill. I found the very first guns I was using at level 1 were powerful enough and I never felt dominated by higher level players, and it was only a couple of rounds before I was unlocking stuff. I think BF3 is the new benchmark in shit unlock systems, it feels like an MMO in FPS form, they took what COD started and made it infinitely worse :p

I'm not really sure what you mean about the movement and jumping, it feels like every COD game I've ever played. I was always able to jump over the waist high walls and such.

Hackers, yeah, I've seen a couple and they completely ruined a couple of rounds. One guy at the beginning looked almost like he might just be a skilled player, but by the end of the match he wasn't even trying to hide it, his sights were jumping around like lightning and every shot was a headshot.

I wasn't impressed by the maps, though I didn't notice too many invisible walls or anything? Maybe I just didn't try running into little bushes as much as you did :p

I don't think I'd ever describe any COD game I've played as "really aweful". Through the entire series I've found them enjoyable games to play. Just viewed as an entire series, THEN I think its a shit series and haven't bought any COD since COD4 and WAW, I have no intention of buying this one either.

The perks, weapons, and equipment unlocks aren't a big deal to me. Any gun can kill someone as long as you can aim. You also level up extremely fast from level 1 to level 50. Its really level 70-80 that takes a while and you probably have most of the stuff you want by then. Also a lot of people Prestige (reset) so plenty of veteran players are missing weapons or haven't leveled up their weapons yet. Either way, it becomes an non-issue pretty quickly.

I think the game is actually too noob friendly, they need to get rid of death streaks. It really just screws over good players. There's nothing worst than having your streak end because of a death streak (Martydom, last stand, dead man's hand, etc).They should at least limit death streaks to one life, not as many times as it takes to get a kill. I wish they had a hardcore game mode without deathstreaks.

The spawns in the game are as bad as any other COD game. Spawn camping is still an issue in some game modes and by spawn camping I mean you continually get killed right when you spawn. Like the other team completely locks down the spawns, not once or twice a game thing. In Black Ops Nuketown CTF was notorious for this. I mainly play Kill Confirmed and I don't think real spawn camping is possible, you will have a few bad spawns a game, but that should be about it. If you play with an entire team then you can manage the spawns and make the other team spawn on the opposite side of them map, but you can't instant kill them. Like in Domination don't capture all three points unless you really need the points to win, it will just cause the enemies to spawn all over the place. Just capture two points and then hold the line and they will all spawn around their point and not behind you. Again for the most part you can't instant kill them, they have to come out. If you rush in to spawn camp them they will just spawn at another point and it will make it easy for them to steal that point from you.

Last edited:
Well they are still using the same engine from COD4 and its a console port so they aren't going to support DX11 let alone DX10 and yes the graphics are outdated and basically there is nothing new and lacks innovation. I have this game and it was not worth my money or time, I uninstalled it once I finished the campaign.

I installed MW3 for the free weekend they had... want to know how much time I played it till I closed it and deleted it? About 5 minutes.

I was very big into MW1, had fun with MW2, and black Ops was even okay. However maybe I've grown up (i turn 30 in a few weeks) hah or maybe I've just been spoiled by BF3.

Before I even started playing I setup and mapped my keys, turned everything to MAX resolution 1920X1080 with all the bells and whistles on.

first impression when I finally got into a game? I kept squinting because things were just so unsharp, so blurry, and just had a "yuck" feel about them. Playing BF3 on my 27" LED with a 6970+6950 combo in BF3 is a sight to behold... playing MW3 i felt like I just went back in time about 5 years.

Okay so it looks like ass, that's established, I hated not being able to select the map I wanted to play, or how basic modes of play are locked. Had I paid for this title I'd be pretty pissed I have to "earn" the right to play hardcore mode. Forcing you to spend hours in the noob/kiddie modes just to get what you want is NOT a way to make players happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Origin but their new way of doing things via the browser has me spoiled. Being able to pick what map, what mode, and what server is what real gamers want. The first match I jumped into on MW3 - I had a terrible ping (yellow) because whatever host was selected obviously didn't have an optimal connection. And sorry, giving me the cell phone style "5 bars" of varying colors tells me NOTHING about my ping. (keep in mind i ping consistently between 30 and 50 in any BF3 game i play)

Even if this game was 5 dollars I don't think I'd be picking it up. I'm slightly pissed I wasted 15 of my 150GB download limit for the month (F you AT&T)

I found the game failed at every aspect. Visually it hasnt evolved in years, and the gameplay just feels like Team DM where everyone spawns infront of an enemy.
The sound is just embarrassing. I play BF3, and the comparison is drastic.

Right now, I compare MW3 to BF3 and BF3 takes it in every single department. Even on low settings, BF3 looks better then MW3 on high.

I purchased both, and havent spent more then an hour on MW3...its just horrible.

I don't see enough PC specific features to justify buying this game for PC, it's a bad port. The FOV makes me sick and the game at it's core is no different then the last two CoD's. The moment I started playing the game it almost instantly became second nature because I use to play CoD a lot....when I was little kid.

All of these perks, gadgets, and killstreaks they keep adding just makes the game more unbalanced and aggravating. I can go 20-5 in a game+MVP and still get aggravated the whole time because of all the bs moments..

The majority of people who have been playing the game are either 12 year olds or full grown men who have the mental maturity of a 12 year old.

It has P2P matchmaking so the game is a complete failure anyway. I don't know why nobody plays the dedicated servers. They're so much better especially the modded ones.

how basic modes of play are locked. Had I paid for this title I'd be pretty pissed I have to "earn" the right to play hardcore mode. Forcing you to spend hours in the noob/kiddie modes just to get what you want is NOT a way to make players happy.

It really really doesn't take terribly long to unlock them. Most of them you should have within the first hour, the rest after about 2 hours.

CODMW3 is bad when viewed in both context and isolation.

There is no passion or inspiration in the game at all - the bare minimum required to warrant a sequel has been changed. Graphics have not been improved or even changed; sound effects are exactly the same as CODMW2 with some bass added. Killstreaks are still too prominent. Gunplay is still insultingly simplistic. Dedicated servers and the inability to play beyond the default settings and classes are more reminiscent of Activision directly trolling the PC community than providing an industry-standard feature.

The talent at IW either jumped ship or got fired after CODMW2 - it was a no-name developer ("Sledgehammer") and the empty shell of IW that was in charge of this game and it shows. The game seems like it was created in board rooms by executives looking to squeeze every money-making possibility from the product, and not by talented or passionate developers. This is the chief difference between CODMW3 and Black Ops - Treyarch generally gives a shit about the content it produces whereas IW/Sledgehammer does not.

The saddest part of it all is that the plebs ate the game up anyway, showing every other publisher and developer than minimum effort generates maximum profit.

Last edited:
CODMW3 is bad when viewed in both context and isolation.
I dunno, I still think the core gameplay now is the same as it was in COD4. The game as a whole is worse than COD4 IMO, but the core mechanic was fun then in COD4 and if you looked at MW3 in isolation, its still fun. I think if you don't like MW3 as a game in isolation, chances are you probably didn't like COD4 either.
The saddest part of it all is that the plebs ate the game up anyway, showing every other publisher and developer than minimum effort generates maximum profit.
I think it shows that if you have enjoyable game play and an established name you don't need to put in a lot of effort to generate a lot of profit. Other people have put out shit games and, well, a lot of them get shit results. Its just this particular shit series has a core game play mechanic which is enjoyable and an established name.

I dunno, I still think the core gameplay now is the same as it was in COD4. The game as a whole is worse than COD4 IMO, but the core mechanic was fun then in COD4 and if you looked at MW3 in isolation, its still fun. I think if you don't like MW3 as a game in isolation, chances are you probably didn't like COD4 either.

Bit of a blanket statement there.

I played MW3 for about half an hour on the free weekend and its nothing like CoD4. CoD4 had the perfect balance of perks and the maps were great. With every installment in their series they seemed to have just added more perks and the maps became worse. I now know why they are re-adding CoD4 maps to MW3.

They should have put the money they had in advertisements into development. Most people didn't have a problem buying Black Ops when there weren't any commercials on TV.

I don't even see the logic in people trying to compare BF3 and MW3 at this point.

MW2 was great, at least I had tons of fun with it. MW3 is dumbed down to the bare minimum, a monkey could play this game, that's how much they dumbed it down. Can't hide in most places, everything has an invisible barrier, spawns are atrocious. I don't get how they could screw it up this badly. I mean you can't even jump over most objects anymore(barely anything has "Press Space to jump over" anymore).

BF3 and MW3 were both failures and the user scores on game sites reflect this. Just about every other big publisher other than Electronic Arts and Activision has went bankrupt or are near death, so these two will do as they please and the kids will continue to buy because there are no other choices.

My impressions copy and pasted from the other thread.

After playing this crap it makes BF3 look like a masterpiece. You know, I actually had some fun on the CODBLOPS free weekend but was still very critical of that game but this game... it has no redeeming qualities.

Sound is awful. Every gun sounds... well not like a gun. They just make clanking noises and shit like someone is banging on pots and pans.

Graphics are awful. It's got this weird blur to the whole thing, I dunno. The other thing about CoD games is that everything looks fake. I know it's a video game but everything has this matte plastic look to it and it just looks awful.

Interface is awful. Not only does it look awful. Never thought I would say this but setting up kits and stuff is actually worse than BF3. Wouldn't let me leave the game at the end of a round and I couldn't even alt+f4 or alt+tab for some reason like I can in BF3. PEBKAC maybe?

Map design is awful. CoD4 had some pretty good maps and BLOPS had one or two decent maps. The maps for this game are SMALL and that's in comparison to other CoD games. I don't know why there are still sniper rifles. I also felt like there wasn't very much vertical movement on the maps, like I was just running through tunnels on a flat plane. There is the occasional second story on a building but the view the give you is very very limited in most cases. At no point did I find a place where I was like, "OH SHIT GONNA GRAB A SNIPER RIFLE AND SIT HERE," nor would I do that anyway since the maps aren't really big enough to make sniping viable outside of running around and "quick scoping".

Guns are awful. Models are definitely not as good as BF3. No recoil on them and once again they all sound like ass. I can't really tell the difference between any of the guns because the pretty much all feel and work the same. Shotguns don't work past melee range where the knife would be better anyway since it's laser fast and kills in one hit.

I installed MW3 for the free weekend they had... want to know how much time I played it till I closed it and deleted it? About 5 minutes.

I was very big into MW1, had fun with MW2, and black Ops was even okay. However maybe I've grown up (i turn 30 in a few weeks) hah or maybe I've just been spoiled by BF3.

Before I even started playing I setup and mapped my keys, turned everything to MAX resolution 1920X1080 with all the bells and whistles on.

first impression when I finally got into a game? I kept squinting because things were just so unsharp, so blurry, and just had a "yuck" feel about them. Playing BF3 on my 27" LED with a 6970+6950 combo in BF3 is a sight to behold... playing MW3 i felt like I just went back in time about 5 years.

Okay so it looks like ass, that's established, I hated not being able to select the map I wanted to play, or how basic modes of play are locked. Had I paid for this title I'd be pretty pissed I have to "earn" the right to play hardcore mode. Forcing you to spend hours in the noob/kiddie modes just to get what you want is NOT a way to make players happy.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a huge fan of Origin but their new way of doing things via the browser has me spoiled. Being able to pick what map, what mode, and what server is what real gamers want. The first match I jumped into on MW3 - I had a terrible ping (yellow) because whatever host was selected obviously didn't have an optimal connection. And sorry, giving me the cell phone style "5 bars" of varying colors tells me NOTHING about my ping. (keep in mind i ping consistently between 30 and 50 in any BF3 game i play)

Even if this game was 5 dollars I don't think I'd be picking it up. I'm slightly pissed I wasted 15 of my 150GB download limit for the month (F you AT&T)

Its supposed to look exactly like mw2, if anyone else is having these blurry issues set image quality to native

Dx9 or not doesn't really matter all that much. TW2 is DX9, Crysis 1 looked better in DX9 4 and a half years ago than most games today running DX10 or 11. That said I agree MW3 looks like shit, DX9 isn't to blame though, its the developers not putting in the effort to make decent textures and stuff.
Very good point. Even for a DX9 title, the graphics look like total shit. And I couldn't agree with you more, TW2 and Crysis, graphically, are leaps and bounds better than most games coming out today even with DX10/11 support.
The game didn't seem that unbalanced to me. As with most COD games, the gun you use is secondary to how you use it. Its just the nature of a game in tight maps when it only takes a couple of bullets to kill. I found the very first guns I was using at level 1 were powerful enough and I never felt dominated by higher level players, and it was only a couple of rounds before I was unlocking stuff. I think BF3 is the new benchmark in shit unlock systems, it feels like an MMO in FPS form, they took what COD started and made it infinitely worse :p
And that's the whole point. There was several times where I had lit someone up, hit them at least five times and they're still running off like nothing happened. I suppose it's the inconsistency that I find frustrating.
I'm not really sure what you mean about the movement and jumping, it feels like every COD game I've ever played. I was always able to jump over the waist high walls and such.
The actual movement is not bad. However, the places that you're trying access, you can't get to. You mentioned the waist high walls; of the maps that played, there were lots of these walls that no matter what I did, I couldn't get on them. Invisible barrier perhaps?
Hackers, yeah, I've seen a couple and they completely ruined a couple of rounds. One guy at the beginning looked almost like he might just be a skilled player, but by the end of the match he wasn't even trying to hide it, his sights were jumping around like lightning and every shot was a headshot.
In 95% of the rounds I played there was at least one blatant hacker. Thanks to being an admin on a few CS/CSS servers, not to mention playing CS/CSS forever, I've gotten very good at spotting hackers. And now thanks to the lame ass kill cam, it makes it that much easier for me to see exactly how they're bearing down on me through the wall and insta-blast me as soon as I come around the corner.
I started to call them out, and most didn't even care and would make comments like "what, you don't like my X-ray vision?" :rolleyes:
So it also appears that there is no hack detecting software like there is in the BF series as well. Yet another negative for this overpriced piece of crap game.

I wasn't impressed by the maps, though I didn't notice too many invisible walls or anything? Maybe I just didn't try running into little bushes as much as you did :p
I wasn't really either to tell you honestly. They were unrealistic, (no buildings are lad out that way], and the models and texturing are just horrible.
As for the bushes, well, in BFBC2 my favorite class, usually, is recon, so I tend to hide in bushes and use the foliage as cover (I only play HC mode in BFBC2]. So it's second nature for me to use some sort of shrubbery to hide in.
However, in MW3, you can't even jump on top of the invisible impact model of it. And now that I think about it, even in BF1942 you could hide in bushes, and that came out what? 1999? So it seems that Activision can't even make as decent of a map model as a 10 year old game; which BTW is heartily better than MW3.
I don't think I'd ever describe any COD game I've played as "really aweful". Through the entire series I've found them enjoyable games to play. Just viewed as an entire series, THEN I think its a shit series and haven't bought any COD since COD4 and WAW, I have no intention of buying this one either.
I suppose I expected more from this game. All of the hype surrounding it, not to mention the sellouts and it selling more on opening day than any other form of media --ever, I hold this game to a higher standard. So in that sense it IS really awful. It's actually worse than it's several year old predecessors. Seriously, I honestly think that COD:WAW is more fun and an overall better playing game with better maps, character models, guns, balancing (even though still are perks WAW], and so forth. The maps aren't single level or very linear like in MW3.
So when comparing something new to itself, basically, and it's worse than a 3-4 year old game all around, that also makes it really awful.
The perks, weapons, and equipment unlocks aren't a big deal to me. Any gun can kill someone as long as you can aim. You also level up extremely fast from level 1 to level 50. Its really level 70-80 that takes a while and you probably have most of the stuff you want by then. Also a lot of people Prestige (reset) so plenty of veteran players are missing weapons or haven't leveled up their weapons yet. Either way, it becomes an non-issue pretty quickly.

I played the game for roughly an hour and a half. I wanted to give it a fair shake. So I did level up fairly quickly. I think by the time I was done, I was pretty close to level 20. Regardless, the more I played it, the less I actually wanted to play it.
I think the game is actually too noob friendly, they need to get rid of death streaks. It really just screws over good players. There's nothing worst than having your streak end because of a death streak (Martydom, last stand, dead man's hand, etc).They should at least limit death streaks to one life, not as many times as it takes to get a kill. I wish they had a hardcore game mode without deathstreaks.
Never even saw a death streak perk. I maintained, usually, a 1:1 K/D ratio. And even on the second map I ever played of the game, I placed first on my team. And there were level 70 people on my team. :eek:

The spawns in the game are as bad as any other COD game. Spawn camping is still an issue in some game modes and by spawn camping I mean you continually get killed right when you spawn. Like the other team completely locks down the spawns, not once or twice a game thing. In Black Ops Nuketown CTF was notorious for this. I mainly play Kill Confirmed and I don't think real spawn camping is possible, you will have a few bad spawns a game, but that should be about it. If you play with an entire team then you can manage the spawns and make the other team spawn on the opposite side of them map, but you can't instant kill them. Like in Domination don't capture all three points unless you really need the points to win, it will just cause the enemies to spawn all over the place. Just capture two points and then hold the line and they will all spawn around their point and not behind you. Again for the most part you can't instant kill them, they have to come out. If you rush in to spawn camp them they will just spawn at another point and it will make it easy for them to steal that point from you.
It really sucks when the devs can't balance a map properly and allow for things like spawn camping to occur. That just kills it for me when you can't even spawn without being killed. At least in BF, even if people are spawn camping, the spawns are big enough, and there are enough spawn points that, unless your team really really sucks, a few people can get past.
So you have pointed out another HUGE failure of this crappy, overhyped game.
Its supposed to look exactly like mw2, if anyone else is having these blurry issues set image quality to native
I didn't have any issues with blurriness. It ran like butter on my 2x unlocked 6950's with everything maxed.

At any rate, glad I'm not the only one that thinks this game is just a great big steamy pile of shit. Activision, you have failed and failed hard with this game {except with the marketing}. I will never own it unless it comes free with something, and even then, I probably will just give it away to some noob that may actually want to play it, because, I sure as hell wont.

I think it shows that if you have enjoyable game play and an established name you don't need to put in a lot of effort to generate a lot of profit. Other people have put out shit games and, well, a lot of them get shit results. Its just this particular shit series has a core game play mechanic which is enjoyable and an established name.

Wrong, I loved CoD4. MW3 pales in comparison with the p2p garbage, and the dedicated servers are few and far between.

I'm playing the MW3 free weekend promotion too. Is it me or is the pc multiplayer almost dead. Everytime I do a server refresh I only see 6 or 7 servers with under 100 ping on all game modes. I'm also using the fov changer mod. If I get vac banned, its only for MW3 right? It doesn't vac ban you on all games that use vac.

I'm playing the MW3 free weekend promotion too. Is it me or is the pc multiplayer almost dead. Everytime I do a server refresh I only see 6 or 7 servers with under 100 ping on all game modes. I'm also using the fov changer mod. If I get vac banned, its only for MW3 right? It doesn't vac ban you on all games that use vac.
Not sure about VAC bans {I don't cheat}, however, if all you're trying to do is increase FOV, can't you just mod the .ini file like in BFBC2?

Wrong, I loved CoD4. MW3 pales in comparison with the p2p garbage, and the dedicated servers are few and far between.

So perhaps tell me why it is you hate it so much and love COD4 so much? Coz personally I see the core gameplay mechanic as being much the same. The maps in MW3 aren't as good, but they're not nearly as terrible as all that either, they just need to open up in a couple of places. Dedicated servers lacking is shit, but really I haven't had any lag in the few hours I've been playing and it doesn't really affect the "gameplay" all that much. Gun sounds are a bit shit, but the actual feel of the guns and movement is all much the same to me.

Honestly, I have a few hundred hours in COD4 and its probably the only FPS game I've played long term by most [H] standards, it all feels like much the same shit to me. I hear the complaints, but then I actually play the game and it feels much the same to me.

That was actually the worst experience I have had in a game since I think I bought Far Cry 2. No exaggeration. It's just... I don't get it. It's like they've moved backwards. It was just horrible.

Not sure about VAC bans {I don't cheat}, however, if all you're trying to do is increase FOV, can't you just mod the .ini file like in BFBC2?

Using an external program is the only way to increase your FOV in this game.

I also want to note that while the graphics in this game aren't great, I think think the gun models look better than BF3.

Then the more I played, the more I realized at how unbalanced the game was. The higher level you are, the more "perks" and "upgrades" you have to give you an unfair advantage over your competition. Pretty piss poor for balancing IMO.
Why should someone that's a higher level get better stuff and things to make the game easier? While the noobie has nothing and it's really difficult for them? Not a good way to retain new players.

Since when is there balance ever in a game that has you level up in multiplayer? Of course higher level people will be better because they have superior guns and perks. It is not an issue of balance in the sense you are referring to. Not to mention that the balance in MW3 is much better than MW2.

only thing good about mw3 is it runs on older systems like my 5 year old laptop while bf3 was so choppy i couldn't do anything at all on low settings.

Just played the game, and I can't think of a single way in which it is better than 2007's COD4: graphics are the same, maps are the same, guns seem to be the same, server browser is worse, game options are worse, etc. What's more, the community seems to be nonexistent. I just cannot get over the fact that millions of people are paying $60 for what is essentially a map and weapons pack.

Just played the game, and I can't think of a single way in which it is better than 2007's COD4: graphics are the same, maps are the same, guns seem to be the same, server browser is worse, game options are worse, etc. What's more, the community seems to be nonexistent. I just cannot get over the fact that millions of people are paying $60 for what is essentially a map and weapons pack.

It's not even the same as CoD4, it's worse. Way worse.

Since when is there balance ever in a game that has you level up in multiplayer? Of course higher level people will be better because they have superior guns and perks. It is not an issue of balance in the sense you are referring to. Not to mention that the balance in MW3 is much better than MW2.

I always think thats kind of stupid. When a player gets better at a game they level up because they are better... It's tipping the balance in one sides favor, which is the total opposite of "balance".

But the real purpose of it is to make you feel you are working towards something, and to make useless players able to grind up to levels so that they have an advantage to make up for being useless.

That was actually the worst experience I have had in a game since I think I bought Far Cry 2. No exaggeration. It's just... I don't get it. It's like they've moved backwards. It was just horrible.
I seriously think that Far Cry 2 is better. The graphics in FC2, HANDS DOWN, stomp this sorry excuse for a Call of Duty game.

I think DeathPrincess said it best:
I always think thats kind of stupid. When a player gets better at a game they level up because they are better... It's tipping the balance in one sides favor, which is the total opposite of "balance".

But the real purpose of it is to make you feel you are working towards something, and to make useless players able to grind up to levels so that they have an advantage to make up for being useless.
Couldn't agree more.

I would like to add, that even though COD:WAW also had perks and levels and all that crap, but it wasn't so ridiculously unbalanced.

Dude, it's worse than COD4 BY FAR IMO. And I don't see how they can fuck it up this badly. Seriously, it's like they even took a step back graphically. COD4 looked WAY better and had WAY better maps than MW3.
Cant beat free.. I see no reason to buy the game when its free every few months,
No matter how many times they make it free, this is the one and only time that I'll install the game. Yes, it's that bad.

The last COD game worth mentioning was COD4. I'm honestly not surprised they haven't been able to improve upon it, especially in team deathmatch. I think it is a shame that COD has become what it is, though. I do miss the WWII action as well

Perhaps I shouldn't have a few drinks before logging into the forums. Lol

The sad thing is if you played the game when it first came out, you'd realize the COD series did move backwards. Infinity Ward seemed to base development of MW3 from the initial version of MW2 with all of its launch bugs. So when MW3 came out it had all the same bugs that MW2 had. They also didn't seem to work with any of the improvements that Treyarch made in Black Ops. So if you've been playing every COD game it seems like you lost a bunch of features going from Black Ops to the newer MW3.

For example, theater mode in MW3 is missing the dolly cam, first person views of other players, and the ability to bring up the score screen whenever you want. All things you could do in Black Ops.

The sad thing is if you played the game when it first came out, you'd realize the COD series did move backwards. Infinity Ward seemed to base development of MW3 from the initial version of MW2 with all of its launch bugs. So when MW3 came out it had all the same bugs that MW2 had. They also didn't seem to work with any of the improvements that Treyarch made in Black Ops. So if you've been playing every COD game it seems like you lost a bunch of features going from Black Ops to the newer MW3.

For example, theater mode in MW3 is missing the dolly cam, first person views of other players, and the ability to bring up the score screen whenever you want. All things you could do in Black Ops.

I'm not even talking in terms of features, but rather the solidity of the game. The whole time I was playing it felt horribly unresponsive, with a crippled-weak ability to sprint that required constant monitoring, the cramped FoV, and mouse input felt really jittery and inaccurate. Then there's the lag, obviously, and the map design was just piss-poor. Every map felt really under-designed and aimless.

I guess you can tell that a lot of IW's original staff has moved on and Activision's determined to go on ahead at all costs regardless. I enjoyed CoD4 even if I can admit that it was the start of a serious down-turn for the series, but this really feels like - I don't know. It's like when a child puts a slice of toast in a VCR. It feels like they somehow did that with coding and design. They just spent a year pushing shit arbitrarily into other shit to see what happened, and then published it.

Played it for 30 mins before i uninstalled it. Terrible experience overall with laggy servers, hackers infested (someone got some kind of nuke in not even 2 mins going 29-0), no one has any skills and its people running around with overpowered weapons, and spawns are broken as shit.

Back