MW2 - Ridiculous story? (spoiler alert)

I'm a firm believer in the graphical superiority of the PC, but that isn't to say consoles can't look good. I thought MW2 looked great and so does Uncharted 2. I'm sure MW2 looks better on the PC with the appropriate hardware, but that's a given. The PC just has more variables that can effect GFX quality.

I totally agree with your point of view. I do think U2 is the first game to really set the bar since Half Life 2, but hopefully some PC developer will step up to the plate at some point.

Either way its nice to see finally see a reasonable non-fanboy opinion here. :)

I have both versions of MW2 and it does look better on the PC. That said, the leap in quality isn't massive at all. Maybe I'd have a much easier time spotting differences if I plugged my PC into my 60" so I could directly A/B with the 360 version. As it stands the only notable difference is fidelity in the faces, but it really doesn't matter in the big picture given that you spend very little time standing around watching people talk. Its as far from a gamebreaker as you can get, especially at the prices of hardware that we're talking about (my ~$1400 PC if you don't count my 256GB SSD, versus a $300 console).

I - hate - Michael Bay

Next time the make a "Modern Warfare" game, they might as well put Uwe Boll in charge of the script...

this would be a blessing because the game would Fail and take IW with it,

Ok, one section looks way better on the PC, the helicopter approach over the frozen ocean towards the Gulag. Extremely impressive on both systems but WOW on the PC with everything cranked, looks incredible.

Otherwise yeah, everything else is pretty close between the two. :)

Honestly, there is only one current game I can think of where there is a massive difference that demands you buy it on the PC, and that is Dragon Age. The interface options that a keyboard gives you in terms of managing things is so much bigger than what a simple gamepad interface can offer. It also allows for a more classic "Baldur's Gate" style top-down view, a more tactical approach to combat, etc etc.

As much as I greatly prefer a mouse and keyboard for shooters, the difference in quality and experience is nothing compared to the difference with genres like hardcore RPGs, MMOs, and RTS games. I can handle a shooter on a console, grudgingly sometimes (fast multiplayer), happily other times (atmospheric games like Bioshock that benefit from an uber sound system and 60" plasma). Dragon Age really takes the cake though, its almost like two different games for the systems. Its interesting because their last game, Mass Effect, didn't show as big a difference as DA does.

They clearly tailored the game to its respective platforms instead of compromising either of the two. It'd be nice if more developers did that. ;) We'll see how DICE follows through with their respective PC/360 versions of Bad Company 2 in a few months.

What a joke. $60 for a 3-hr game. Literally finished easily in this time. This should not even be an expansion pack, much less a full release. I don't give a crap about MP. If I pay good moeny for a game, I expect a decent SP as well. FAIL!

The gameplay is all frantic bullets flying everywhere, no suspense/strategy, kind of run & gun. Worst Call of Duty ever. Used to be a good franchise. No more.

You can say til your head turn blue, reality says something else.
Your crackbox GFX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSsqgzb53r0
Crysis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsiKAa5GF4

wait wait wait... weren't we talking about MW2 and uncharted2?

I'm a huge fan of COD... but i must say i was definitely let down by MW2. As far as graphics go, compare the snow and stuff in the first uncharted level, to the snow in the MW2 winter sniping level... uncharted blows it away. There are so many blurry textures lacking normal/bump maps in mw2 it's disappointing.

I was running mw2 at 1900x1200, everything maxed, and I was still twice as impressed with uncharted, story aside.

What a joke. $60 for a 3-hr game. Literally finished easily in this time. This should not even be an expansion pack, much less a full release. I don't give a crap about MP. If I pay good moeny for a game, I expect a decent SP as well. FAIL!

The gameplay is all frantic bullets flying everywhere, no suspense/strategy, kind of run & gun. Worst Call of Duty ever. Used to be a good franchise. No more.

Name a COD game that hasn't been run and gun with a short campaign.

Also, if I may, I'd like to introduce you to the world of game renting. It's a pretty novel idea. You should check it out.

There was a review (Gamespot?) that made the conclusion that IW came up with ideas for levels first and then crafted a story to thread these set pieces together. Of which, I totally agree.

I think the development conversation went something like this:

IW Staffer #1: Let's make a prison level!
IW Staffer #2: Yeah! And, a US suburbia level!
IW Staffer #3: What about the story?
IW Staffer #1: Who cares?!?! It's an action game!

Hi,

I stop by a friend's to try it out before committing to buying it. The game feels way to movie like. Even more than MW1. I felt like I spent more time in preludes than actual gaming. However I did not try the MP side of the game. I will reserve my comments for that later. So far and which I do not see happening anytime soon, I would buy this game on the $19.99 (Value rack). Like I said not anytime soon due to the fact COD4 is still selling for 39.95 @ walmart.

Story in the first one was better, this story was over the top but I loved every second of it.

Absolutely man. It was really fast paced but I found myself drawn into it more so because of that. I got really caught up in it.

Just finished it and I'm pretty sure for a game with production values that good, it was the worst story I've ever played through. Finished in under 6 hours and the game had 0 cohesion. Felt like I was playing an amalgam of missions rather than following a story. Michael bay was director? lol

Just finished it and I'm pretty sure for a game with production values that good, it was the worst story I've ever played through. Finished in under 6 hours and the game had 0 cohesion. Felt like I was playing an amalgam of missions rather than following a story. Michael bay was director? lol

Yea some of the mission ideas where pretty good but the overall story tieing them together sucked balls.

They took the first Modern Warfare and just swapped out environments and names. That and they stole the scene out of The Rock and plenty other movies. Story sucks, guns are all designed by some suburbia shut in that has never shot a gun, multiplayer has zero competitive attitude about it, lean is gone, no dedicated servers, host changes, $10 more than normal, etc.

FUCK IW I FEEL SORRY FOR ANY OF THE SAPS WHO BOUGHT THIS PILE OF SHIT

My console friends who brag about it make me want to beat them all into pulp.

There was a review (Gamespot?) that made the conclusion that IW came up with ideas for levels first and then crafted a story to thread these set pieces together. Of which, I totally agree.

I think the development conversation went something like this:

IW Staffer #1: Let's make a prison level!
IW Staffer #2: Yeah! And, a US suburbia level!
IW Staffer #3: What about the story?
IW Staffer #1: Who cares?!?! It's an action game!

MW2 took story elements from The Rock, Black Hawk Down and some 007 title which title escapes me.

I enjoyed playing this game immensely and think it has some of the best set pieces in any game but I have to agree with the OP that the story is utterly ridiculous. However I have to disagree and say the airport level probably makes the most sense and is probably the only part of the story that's believable, its the rest that come after especially the cross Atlantic invasion that's just ridiculous. And with what army could they possibly get away with something like that? It was fun but laughable.

Some of the lead IW developers were interviewed on Gametrailers.com. They went through their development process and that is exactly what they did. They devise scenarios that they want to see, create them, arrange them based on escalating difficulty and mixing them up to keep the game play varied and interesting, and then when the game content is locked they devise a story to work around what they already put down.

Its no wonder that while the set pieces are big and exciting (lordy flying over Washington DC was fun), the story is ludicrous, incomprehensible, and crap. Its really the same way that Michael Bay makes his movies, come up with cool stuff and devise a "plot" that functions as a barely passable excuse to get you from point A to point B.

Again, Uncharted 2 blows away MW2 in this regard. It manages to combine incredible setpieces and big action with a great story and awesome characters.

Modern Warfare 2 is Transformers, Uncharted 2 is Raiders Of The Lost Ark. :)

You can say til your head turn blue, reality says something else.
Your crackbox GFX:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oSsqgzb53r0
Crysis:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYsiKAa5GF4

Christ dude, you haven't even played it, I don't even know why you feel like your opinion is valid.

I'm pretty much a PC gamer first and foremost and often criticize console graphics (MGS4 looks like shit, no idea why people think it doesn't), but Uncharted 2 has some of the most incredible graphics I've ever seen. Even non-gamers chime in that it's practically like watching a movie.

I think they must have pumped Michael Bay full of Jack Daniels and gutter crank before making him watch every major action movie in the last 15 years and setting him loose on the script for this thing.

The first Modern Warfare was pretty out there, but this one goes to 11. The disappointing part is there haven't really been any mind blowing missions like All Ghillied Up or the AC-130 bit in the first one. A few good ones, and everything is intense, but those were the high water mark for COD SP IMO. (my, look at all the acronyms)

this thread is all over the place :D

just finished MW2. like several people have said in this thread, the story is incongruous but i don't care because the action sequences are a shit ton of fun. i don't think John McClain can feasibly do what he does but i still love watching Die Hard movies.

all the other crap being discussed (subjective opinions below):
Uncharted 2 graphics are great, but nowhere near as good as Crysis. Uncharted 2 is a better game overall though. the guys at Naughty Dog are fantastic at what they do.

graphics:
Crysis > Uncharted 2 > MW2 and MGS4 (equally impressive)

entertainment value (SP only):
MGS4 > Uncharted 2 > MW2 > Crysis ..... which is weird because i'm not much of a console gamer. my PS3 spends more time off or playing bluray movies than anything else. MGS4 and U2 are just fantastic games.

four words for playing a video game, watching movie, or even watching the mainstream news: willing suspension of disbelief.

*SPOILER SPOILER* i really wish they didnt kill off ghost haha i liked his character. *SPOILER SPOILER*

Ghost is voiced by the same guy that voiced Gaz in MW1. I like to think that Gaz survived, but was disfigured by his injuries so wore the mask, becoming Ghost.

Of course, killing him off again sucked. He did seem like a cool character.

Average story. Wanted a bit more from it. Like someone else said...no mind blowing levels like the AC-130 level from the 1st modern warfare.

Did anyone notice that you would take fire from any location, no matter how well you were covered? There were several instances in which the only possible chance of a guy shooting from a certain area was if he spawned there when I turned my head. I would walk into a room, my squadmates outside the entrance, clear the room, and then right behind me is a fucking baddie mowing me down.

The game was a complete failure. It shows the general stupidity of the gaming public for making this game the largest launch of all time. There were times in which the graphics were good, and then times when it was absolutely terrible. The sounds were the worst I've heard in a video game for the PC, and the game still uses the same 10 or so death sequences instead of proper ragdoll physics. Aside from some of the graphics, it belongs in 2005 with COD2.

Oh, and apparently the level developers have never even seen Northern Virginia suburbs.

Edit: Almost forgot that it also had the worst music by Hans Zimmer I have ever heard.

Last edited:
6/10

The game was fantastic right up until the end, where the story went from ridiculous, but fun, to ridiculously ridiculous.

this thread is all over the place :D

just finished MW2. like several people have said in this thread, the story is incongruous but i don't care because the action sequences are a shit ton of fun. i don't think John McClain can feasibly do what he does but i still love watching Die Hard movies.

all the other crap being discussed (subjective opinions below):
Uncharted 2 graphics are great, but nowhere near as good as Crysis. Uncharted 2 is a better game overall though. the guys at Naughty Dog are fantastic at what they do.

graphics:
Crysis > Uncharted 2 > MW2 and MGS4 (equally impressive)

entertainment value (SP only):
MGS4 > Uncharted 2 > MW2 > Crysis ..... which is weird because i'm not much of a console gamer. my PS3 spends more time off or playing bluray movies than anything else. MGS4 and U2 are just fantastic games.
+MF1

I loaded up Crysis the other night because I just wanted to see how well it would run on my 5870. I fired up the game 2560x1600 with EVERYTHING on Very High and there isn't a game out there right now that can touch the foliage density, lighting, shadows and character detail. Warhead looks like shit next to it btw. Uncharted 2 has great level design and in action the game is beautiful. You will not find me saying the game looks bad at all. But a close look and you will find the usual texture and object shortcomings of the PS3 platform. They mask it well but it isn't pretty if you go looking them. I find that the PS3 does well with high polygon count but falls short in the texture department.

Modern Warfare 2 looks great, and it looks better than Modern Warfare 1, the lighting and shadows seemed much better. There are some definate texture issues though, like what the fuck is up with what looks like a 1024x768 background texture for the mountains off in the distance? Why doesn't EVERYTHING have a high resolution or sharper textures (It still looks better than the consoles)? Or at least better handling by the game engine? Serious Sam was able to do sharp textures at any distance, why hasn't that caught on in today's games?

+MF1

I loaded up Crysis the other night because I just wanted to see how well it would run on my 5870. I fired up the game 2560x1600 with EVERYTHING on Very High and there isn't a game out there right now that can touch the foliage density, lighting, shadows and character detail. Warhead looks like shit next to it btw. Uncharted 2 has great level design and in action the game is beautiful. You will not find me saying the game looks bad at all. But a close look and you will find the usual texture and object shortcomings of the PS3 platform. They mask it well but it isn't pretty if you go looking them. I find that the PS3 does well with high polygon count but falls short in the texture department.

Modern Warfare 2 looks great, and it looks better than Modern Warfare 1, the lighting and shadows seemed much better. There are some definate texture issues though, like what the fuck is up with what looks like a 1024x768 background texture for the mountains off in the distance? Why doesn't EVERYTHING have a high resolution or sharper textures (It still looks better than the consoles)? Or at least better handling by the game engine? Serious Sam was able to do sharp textures at any distance, why hasn't that caught on in today's games?

You expect console fanboys to have the first clue about I.Q? :D

You expect console fanboys to have the first clue about I.Q? :D

I do both and vast majority of people who game on consoles give a rats ass about that. Cherry picking arguments isn't going to change anything.

I do both and vast majority of people who game on consoles give a rats ass about that. Cherry picking arguments isn't going to change anything.

If they don't care, they should pipe it...instead of hailing crappy I.Q. as better then Crysis...

If they don't care, they should pipe it...instead of hailing crappy I.Q. as better then Crysis...

And Crysis has been derided by gamers on the PC as a POS too...so whats your point again?

And Crysis has been derided by gamers on the PC as a POS too...so whats your point again?

No, a bunch of whiners didn't get that their rig didn't have the power to run Crysis at max settings.
That dosn't mean the game dosn't look stellar...we are talking I.Q here...not gameplay...nice fallacy..do try again.

No, a bunch of whiners didn't get that their rig didn't have the power to run Crysis at max settings.
That dosn't mean the game dosn't look stellar...we are talking I.Q here...not gameplay...nice fallacy..do try again.

And a stupid story just as much as MW....aliens, um ok?

And a stupid story just as much as MW....aliens, um ok?

The story was way better than in MW2...as a former veteran I felt more at home in Crysis than in the consolitis MW2...*shrugs*

The story was way better than in MW2...as a former veteran I felt more at home in Crysis than in the consolitis MW2...*shrugs*

Hahahahahahahhahahahahahaha

You have to be kidding....I spent 8 years in the Army and I do simulations work for them now. How about trying ARMA2 for a better experience...we use a modified version called VBS2 for training where I work at.

Though I'd admit that the stupid AI in ARMA2 is better then playing against my stupid co-workers who aren't gamers...

You have to be kidding....I spent 8 years in the Army and I do simulations work for them now. How about trying ARMA2 for a better experience...we use a modified version called VBS2 for training where I work at.

Though I'd admit that the stupid AI in ARMA2 is better then playing against my stupid co-workers who aren't gamers...

You might wanna look over my posting history.

I am a avid ARMA2 gamer.

But what does this have to do with Crysis or MW2?
You are still posting nothing but fallacies...try again.

BTW, should I call it "Epic fail" or "Own goal" on your part? :)

now THAT is bad. I left ARMA II mainly over the AI. Do yall play CTI alot?

now THAT is bad. I left ARMA II mainly over the AI. Do yall play CTI alot?

If you got ARMA2 for the singleplayer part, you really bought the game without a clue.

ARMA2 (and ARMA) ahs always been about multiplayer, the singleplayer part has always been a sideshow...

Back