MW2 - Ridiculous story? (spoiler alert)

arentol

2[H]4U
Last night I played the first few scenes of MW2, through the part where you defend various restaurants from attack by Russians.

I realize this is supposed to be an alternate universe kind of thing, and it is just a game, but the story still seems entirely ridiculous so far....

A US Army General, one that we are presumably supposed to respect, takes a PFC in the Rangers and sends him undercover in Russia? WTF is that about? That kind of thing would never, ever, ever, ever, actually happen. Even if I accept it as having happened because it is "Just a game.", then I am left listening to the general through all these load screens after having lost all respect for him for ordering the PFC to go undercover when he clearly was not qualified to do so.

In addition, I just can't believe that the general would think it was acceptable to have the PFC march through an airport helping to kill hundreds of civilians just to get some information from a bad-guy. I am certain the general, and the PFC himself, would much rather have had the PFC just shoot the bad-guy (BG) and his team in the back of the head than let them carry out the attack. Some things are just not worth it, and while it might be seen as being worth it to kill a couple innocents to get in tight with the BG and save thousands of lives later, it wouldn't be acceptable to kill hundreds of innocents, or allow them to be killed, for the same reason.

Then we are supposed to believe that Russia, even with the satellite fooling stuff they apparently have (which would presumably only fools US satellites, not those of other countries), manages to sneak an entire army all the way through the North Sea, or over Canada and Alaska, or across the Pacific, or over Germany and France, without anyone in the entire world noticing and alerting US defense forces? I don't think so.

This is as far as I have gotten, and so far the whole story is truly senseless. On the positive side I assume it will only get better from here out, because I don't see how it could get any worse. At least not unless they go all Crysis on me and start introducing aliens into the mix.

That was one thing I just said what the fuck about- why the hell would I go undercover and murder all those civilians and cops, etc.?

Then we are supposed to believe that Russia, even with the satellite fooling stuff they apparently have (which would presumably only fools US satellites, not those of other countries), manages to sneak an entire army all the way through the North Sea, or over Canada and Alaska, or across the Pacific, or over Germany and France, without anyone in the entire world noticing and alerting US defense forces? I don't think so.

LOL! I was thinking the exact same thing. I was SO confused that I actually thought for a few minutes that we were in Europe and they accidentally put the speed limits in MPH. Because this is just not possible with out us knowing.

*SPOILER* I was also confused at the end when the General committed treason. So your telling me he convinced thousands of troops to do the same thing? WTF? Maybe I got the story wrong since I was playing until 4AM and just tired. I don't know.
/end *SPOILER*

Infinity Ward just jumped the shark with this title. Nothing more.

I didn't help kill any civilians. I only killed the SWAT teams when it was apparent I had to to survive.

Disregarding the situational circumstances of how the character got undercover with the terrorists, it was pretty believable, especially when Makarov turned and killed me.

I then understood why he never once turned around and asked why I wasn't shooting anyone.

If your character shot the civilians, I guess that's your own problem:)

It's no less believable than any of the Michael Bay movies that helped inspire the story;)

There are few small but lame things that irk me...

1) Oil rigs in Bering Sea. Don't think there are oil fields on Kamchatka's shelf.

2) The Gulag. For those who do not know, Gulag is Gosudarstvennoe Upravlenie LAGerei aka State Department of Corrections, which in 1930-1955 was responsible for prisons and labor camps for political prisoners. There's no single 'The Gulag' prison camp. There were many, but none on Kamchatka.

3) The undercover PFC tattoos. I know, not everyone knows the meaning of prison tattoos, but they are not just a pretty pictures. Also, you can't learn to speak russian in 2 hour crash course :)

If you position the game as a "movie you can actually play" try to be a least a bit realistic.

It's way out in left field, but I think the story is pretty entertaining.

If it's any consolation at all- I ran ahead of the guys you were with at the airport and killed every civilian there before they could be shot at by the "terrorists".. Just saying. :(

I think it goes to show that if your first game was a big success, you can shit out whatever you want with the sequel and it will be an even bigger success. I really don't think they cared whether the airport part made sense or not as long as they could put it in the game for some shock factor and to have something they could "leak" before the game's release.

Well, this is a spoiler, so if you haven't beaten the game yet I recommend not reading.

SPOILER

The general is a "bad guy." In that regards, where he wanted to start a war to attain his "blank check" of power, the actions of sending that guy undercover to do those things makes a bit more sense. Also it helps to think he's in line with that russian terrorist dude you are supposedly hunting the whole time but you never see him (hello ghost terrorist Obama).

However, I'm totally with you on the invasion. Really? No lead up. Just a surprise, hey look we're invading all over and no one knew, lol. So yeah.

Oh and just to add, what a ridiculously obviously MW3 setup at the end. Whoa, aren't they so clever!?

Last night I played the first few scenes of MW2, through the part where you defend various restaurants from attack by Russians.

I realize this is supposed to be an alternate universe kind of thing, and it is just a game, but the story still seems entirely ridiculous so far....

A US Army General, one that we are presumably supposed to respect, takes a PFC in the Rangers and sends him undercover in Russia? WTF is that about? That kind of thing would never, ever, ever, ever, actually happen. Even if I accept it as having happened because it is "Just a game.", then I am left listening to the general through all these load screens after having lost all respect for him for ordering the PFC to go undercover when he clearly was not qualified to do so.

In addition, I just can't believe that the general would think it was acceptable to have the PFC march through an airport helping to kill hundreds of civilians just to get some information from a bad-guy. I am certain the general, and the PFC himself, would much rather have had the PFC just shoot the bad-guy (BG) and his team in the back of the head than let them carry out the attack. Some things are just not worth it, and while it might be seen as being worth it to kill a couple innocents to get in tight with the BG and save thousands of lives later, it wouldn't be acceptable to kill hundreds of innocents, or allow them to be killed, for the same reason.

This is as far as I have gotten, and so far the whole story is truly senseless. On the positive side I assume it will only get better from here out, because I don't see how it could get any worse. At least not unless they go all Crysis on me and start introducing aliens into the mix.

Trust me, it's not that unrealistic. The CIA and American imperialism has done far more worse around the globe. Perhaps you should read William Blum.

arentol - The story goes beyond ridiculous, but whatever, it is only a framework to justify the insane missions and situations within it. IW themselves have said that setpeices are invented first, then arranged in an order which makes sense for the escalation and variation of gameplay, and then they drape a story on top of that once game content is locked down and they have to make the game actually work in time for launch.

Whatever, its ludicrous but I don't think anyone plays a Call Of Duty game for the story, they play it for the insane setpieces and MW2 has shitloads of them. Just thinking of the rooftop chase in Brazil, awesome!

I can only think of one game that outdoes MW2 in the action setpiece department and it is Uncharted 2, and somehow Naughty Dog managed to incorporate one of the best stories and the best acting I have ever seen action game, while simultaneously being the best action game since Half Life 2 and the Episodes.

Sorry, slight and unexpected digression there. I like Modern Warfare 2, I LOVE Uncharted 2. :D

well i just finished the single player and i must say the story is so incredibly infuriatingly stupid

the ending just comes. theres no satisfaction in it. yes , i killed some guy, but why should i even care, the story is so bad that i dont care about any of the characters. so killing someone is meaningless.

it doesn't help that they kill you in just about EVERY mission. Seriously, they need to stop that. They did it in COD4 and its back again multiple times in COD6. I felt no attachment to my character because they always kill him and I have no idea who I'm playing at the moment anyway.

The game is pretty much transformers 2. Big explosions and robots, no plot or character development.

The Modern Warfare series are the Michael Bay films of gaming, spot on.

Actually, the MW games are better, in those at least I get to shoot stuff while with Bay's movies I just watch and get a headache. :D

The game is pretty much transformers 2. Big explosions and robots, no plot or character development.

If you want great setpieces combined with great plot, great characters, and great dialogue, get Uncharted 2.

Ok, done shilling for it now. :)

Not saying the single player is bad because I have not played it yet but who buys call of duty for single player anyways?? The multiplayer is amazing and I plan on enjoying this game for a very long time.

Not saying the single player is bad because I have not played it yet but who buys call of duty for single player anyways?? The multiplayer is amazing and I plan on enjoying this game for a very long time.

Umm as far as I remember it, a small percentage of the fps gaming community ever gave a shit about COD online until COD4 came out.. All previous COD games didn't break any records or monopolize any gaming crowds... COD4 changed the series into a MP priority amongst the players..

COD4 has a great single player, and was twice the experience than any previous COD games.. The game was popular before it became a MP hit.. wonder why?

I'm buying MW2 strictly for the single player and I'm gonna wait till the game is cheaper.. I know many people who are doing the same... I just built a gaming comp for friend and jammed it full of every good PC game released in the past 5 years.. He won't stop playing COD4 single player because it is so cinematic and like playing a movie.. his words.. I'd agree, and still enjoy playing various chapters and missions from COD4..

I've put more hours online gaming in the past 12 years than most, and have been in top clans, guilds and gaming leagues during that time.. I'm beyond the point of caring about the MP only of an upcoming game.. I don't need to prove anything nor do I have the time these days for competitive gaming, and look forward to good single player campaigns more than ever.. :)

Trust me, it's not that unrealistic. The CIA and American imperialism has done far more worse around the globe. Perhaps you should read William Blum.

Perhaps you should read less William Blum.

As far as the storyline of this game goes, I had written that off long ago when I saw teasers of dudes spelunking on frozen waterfalls and getting pulled out of exploding fortresses via helicopter all hollywood action movie style. That's when I knew the game would have nothing short of laser-firing T-Rexes airdropped by nazi zombies in blimps off the west coast as a distraction for the UFO invasion of the east coast by the Chinese and Taliban simultaneously.

I suppose I should thank IW, after all. They made my decision not to buy the game on any platform so much easier by screwing up both the multi and single.

Another thing that confused me was the nuclear sub - did Price launch those missiles or was he too late? I got the impression that he launched them and purposely blew them up over the eastern sea board to get the EMP effect. I have no idea why he would do that though. :confused:

Speaking of Price, didn't he die at the end of MW1? I remember seeing them hitting his chest and nothing happening. I figured that meant he was gone.

I - hate - Michael Bay

Next time the make a "Modern Warfare" game, they might as well put Uwe Boll in charge of the script...

Another thing that confused me was the nuclear sub - did Price launch those missiles or was he too late? I got the impression that he launched them and purposely blew them up over the eastern sea board to get the EMP effect. I have no idea why he would do that though. :confused:

Speaking of Price, didn't he die at the end of MW1? I remember seeing them hitting his chest and nothing happening. I figured that meant he was gone.

Price did launch the missles, but it was to essentially end the war in the US. EMP would knock out the US infrastructure, yes, but it would kill the Russian advance as well. The footage before the mission does elude to Price doing something of that sorts.

i cant stand how you get shot at the end of both the airport level and that other level with Ghost.

it sucked enough the first time, then they go and do it again.

oh, and then you get stabbed for the other guys ending. thats 3 times you get betrayed at the end of the level/campaign.

I thought the story was great and I had loads of fun playing the single player campaign. I think infinty ward hit it out of the park with this one. My only gripe is that they push it a long so fast there is not much time for exposition. You really need to know the MW1 story well and be paying attention to details to really get the full story.

I look at MW1 & 2 like I look at the TV show 24... it's a crazy ass far fetched story but it's a hell of a ride. =D

I didn't help kill any civilians. I only killed the SWAT teams when it was apparent I had to to survive.

Disregarding the situational circumstances of how the character got undercover with the terrorists, it was pretty believable, especially when Makarov turned and killed me.

I then understood why he never once turned around and asked why I wasn't shooting anyone.

If your character shot the civilians, I guess that's your own problem:)

It's no less believable than any of the Michael Bay movies that helped inspire the story;)

Yeah because if you're all about risking your life for the greater good, you wouldn't have just ducked for cover and picked off your fellow terrorists pretty much foiling the whole plot. So instead you just let them slaughter defenseless people.

Sorry, but even in movie logic this fails. The scene was put in there that way so you could slaughter innocent people in a terrorist act. It was all about the controversy for some free press and appealing to some people with questionable impulses

finished it last night. yeah this story is completely unrealistic and unbelievable in its ridiculousness.
i am disappointed.

in addition, i felt they abused the "action sequences" too much. it seems every little level has a ridiculous sequence where you have to either escape from a million terrorists and jump into a helicopter or you get shot/betrayed by the commanding officer at the end of the level. what made the original game so great was they didn't have nearly as many of those sequences but when they did happen they were legendary.

Last edited:
I haven't bought this game yet, hopefully soon :)

hehe,
a few months ago, lots of guys where saying:
"OMG Infinity Ward is the best game developer EVAR!!!!!! they are gonna make a super-ultra-über game!!! OMFG!!!!!!! AAAAAAH!!!!"

now there are:
"Infinity Ward, meh..."
:p

One hit wonder?? :(

Back