MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

The Hitler video is a classic. Would love to see it redone with all the new info. lol

I think the community here is just making themselves look like a bunch of retards at this point. IW has been really clear about what the game is about and still we have these type of "interviews"...

COD4 Fan: [Asks a question that everyone already knew the answer to]
IW: [Gives an answer that people already knew or expected]
Community: OMG LOOK AT WHAT IW IS DOING TO US NOW! THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE COMMUNITY, DICE 4EVAH! POST THIS ALL OVER THE INTERNET

Fact is hundreds of thousands of people (probably millions) happily game every day in P2P matches for various games, its not the end of the world. It might not be your thing, but for a lot of people its better and you just need to accept that. If you don't like it, say your complaints and move along, but stop trying to keep quoting people over and over and over. Eventually it just makes you all look stupid.

Last edited:
I think the "community" here is just making themselves look like a bunch of retards at this point. IW has been really clear about what the game is about and still we have these type on interviews...

Community: OMG LOOK AT WHAT IW IS DOING TO US! THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE COMMUNITY, DICE 4EVAH! POST THIS ALL OVER THE INTERNET

Actually, we just still can't beleive they can be that stupid so we have to ask over and over again and even then we still can't beleive they're that stupid.

It'll never end.

It's really not that bad, since clans will be able to use private matches instead and customize it any which way they want. So don't worry about it, it's worth buying again.

By that time the account will already be sold, and it won't be your problem anymore :p

Bolded the inaccurate part.

There's 2 things that can be tied to an account. IP address, which is meaningless since that's one of the selling points of steam and an e-mail address. OMG I changed my e-mail address.

They'd never know. Ever. Not a chance. Not going to happen.

Nevertheless, it's against the ToS, and thus, we won't be discussing it here any further. Got it?

P2P “servers” with unavoidable host advantage really isn't acceptable for a game that strives to be a platform for true professional competitive gaming.

I can see it now... a veritable flood of QQ…”YOU WON THE MATCH BECAUSE YOUR TEAM HAS HOST ADVANTAGE!”

P2P “servers” with unavoidable host advantage really isn't acceptable for a game that strives to be a platform for true professional competitive gaming.

I can see it now... a veritable flood of QQ…”YOU WON THE MATCH BECAUSE YOUR TEAM HAS HOST ADVANTAGE!”

Where has IW *ever* said that they were striving for MW2 to be the new PC game of choice for professional gaming?

That wont be happening because nobody will be playing the pc version.

My net connection cant handle hosting L4D (none of my friends connections can either) MW2 should be fun. :(

Pretty good synopsis of Modern WarFAIL 2 for the PC;

NO dedicated server support - IWnet is match-making service and players host the game (ie, P2P)
NO mod support
NO leaning - apparently the game was not 'balanced for leaning'.
NO access to console commands (~key)
NO ability to KICK any players in Ranked matches (ie, public games) - so have fun playing with rascists, glitchers, griefers, spawn campers, and hackers.
MAX players = 9v9 for Groundwar mode (so expect less in other game modes, just like X360)
NO Record function
NO choice about who hosts the match - IWnet decides based on ping, etc.
During internal testing, they got 100ms pings on a LAN - and they thought that was okay.
25 kill streak gives you Tactical Nuke, and using it ends the match.
Their advice to combat Team Killers? Use 'reflect damage' in the menu options.
Their advice to combat offensive language/rascism - use the MUTE button.
PC version 'features': Mouse Support, Graphics Options in Menu, Text chatting. o_O

It's really not that bad, since clans will be able to use private matches instead and customize it any which way they want. So don't worry about it, it's worth buying again.

Too bad the clans can't have more than 18 player matches :eek:

Modern WarFAIL 2 sucks!

Where has IW *ever* said that they were striving for MW2 to be the new PC game of choice for professional gaming?

Whether they have or not is beside the point. The community is the sole determinant of that. Do you think Gooseman intended for his little Half-Life mod, called Counter-Strike, to be the launching point for many online leagues, local competitions, and high-profile international tournaments like the CPL?

It’s to a game maker’s benefit to implement the basic framework to facilitate these possibilities. The best game developers create a sandbox and fill it with sand. Infinity Ward has filled their sandbox with mixed concrete.

Dedicated servers and PC FPS games are like peas and carrots. The decision to replace this with IW.NET will likely hurt MW2’s chances of being a top-tier competitive platform, potentially reducing exposure through media outlets (televised/streamed events), word of mouth marketing, etc. etc….at least among the PC gamer crowd.

I think the community here is just making themselves look like a bunch of retards at this point. IW has been really clear about what the game is about and still we have these type of "interviews"...

Community: OMG LOOK AT WHAT IW IS DOING TO US NOW! THEY DON'T UNDERSTAND THE COMMUNITY, DICE 4EVAH! POST THIS ALL OVER THE INTERNET

i agree with this. the parts of the Best Buy chat session i've read have been exactly that: someone asks an asinine question, IW rep responds with a factual statement about the game, geeks across the internet explode with unwarranted rage on forums.

Pretty good synopsis of Modern WarFAIL 2 for the PC;

NO dedicated server support - IWnet is match-making service and players host the game (ie, P2P)

Dead horse

NO mod support

Dead horse

NO leaning - apparently the game was not 'balanced for leaning'.

Leaning sucked in COD4, it was a poor excuse for a good cover system (see: Killzone 2)

NO access to console commands (~key)

Evens the play field

NO ability to KICK any players in Ranked matches (ie, public games) - so have fun playing with rascists, glitchers, griefers, spawn campers, and hackers.

Newsflash! Dedicated servers have that same problem, except the racists and spawn campers are usually the ones running the server

MAX players = 9v9 for Groundwar mode (so expect less in other game modes, just like X360)

Ok this sucks.

NO Record function

99.999999% of people do not care about this

NO choice about who hosts the match - IWnet decides based on ping, etc.

Dead horse

During internal testing, they got 100ms pings on a LAN - and they thought that was okay.

I don't know about you, but the LANs I go to involve a lot of beer drinking, so this is of little concern unless you are LANning up for competitive play. In that case, people won't be playing MW2 anyway.

25 kill streak gives you Tactical Nuke, and using it ends the match.

If someone gets off a 25 kill streak, the match was already over, the other team just had not given up yet

Their advice to combat Team Killers? Use 'reflect damage' in the menu options.

Hell yeah, I would rather have the team killers kill themselves.

Their advice to combat offensive language/rascism - use the MUTE button.

See aboe

PC version 'features': Mouse Support, Graphics Options in Menu, Text chatting. o_O

Correct, its the same game on all three platforms.

Evens the play field

Nonsense. Not everyone has the same hardware, or plays on the same screen or from the same distance. Until all of that is true, not allowing players any control over how their game appears under the guise of balancing the game is nonsense.

Nevertheless, it's against the ToS, and thus, we won't be discussing it here any further. Got it?

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is really being a little bit over the top? What's the problem with what he said? Against who's tos exactly? You never made that clear. All I see is this guy constantly closing threads. Some I can understand but mostly just seems a little nazi-ish. Sorry just my view. Stop being such a cowboy vertigo.

Am I the only one who thinks this guy is really being a little bit over the top? What's the problem with what he said? Against who's tos exactly? You never made that clear. All I see is this guy constantly closing threads. Some I can understand but mostly just seems a little nazi-ish. Sorry just my view. Stop being such a cowboy vertigo.

You may not sell or charge others for the right to use your Account, or otherwise transfer your Account.
http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement

It's probably against Steams ToS, therefore, breaking a rule of this forum.

You let up on one person and then everyone will follow suit.

Your thoughts are noted. You will no longer have access to post here. That should cure your issues with how we run our forums.

i agree with this. the parts of the Best Buy chat session i've read have been exactly that: someone asks an asinine question, IW rep responds with a factual statement about the game, geeks across the internet explode with unwarranted rage on forums.

What part of their answers where factual? The fact that the answers were vague at best? Or the fact that they avoided the question altogether? I am still unclear.

As far as the questions go, they were the most pertinent quesitons for those of us that have been playing FPS games longer than most.

I dont want a FPS without dedicated servers. I love lean and would rather loose the ability to jump than lean.

I dont want someone or something else deciding on what server I play on. I can match my own abilities with the players or server.

I can use a server list, have been doing it for a decade or more.

I have an attention span longer than a goldfish and the ability to use a game with a steep learning curve.

Casual gamers are the ones that cant game without being told where to game.

Casual gamers are the ones that cant seem to learn to stop being shot or use a weapon that doesnt aim for them.

While I blame IW and Activ for pandering to casual gamers, I really blame casual PC gamers for the problems with MW2. They should really just stop PC gaming and get a console. Will save them thousands of dollars in PC upgrading, if they are able to figure out how to upgrade a PC, and just buy consoles.

What part of their answers where factual? The fact that the answers were vague at best? Or the fact that they avoided the question altogether? I am still unclear.

As far as the questions go, they were the most pertinent quesitons for those of us that have been playing FPS games longer than most.

I dont want a FPS without dedicated servers. I love lean and would rather loose the ability to jump than lean.

I dont want someone or something else deciding on what server I play on. I can match my own abilities with the players or server.

I can use a server list, have been doing it for a decade or more.

I have an attention span longer than a goldfish and the ability to use a game with a steep learning curve.

Casual gamers are the ones that cant game without being told where to game.

Casual gamers are the ones that cant seem to learn to stop being shot or use a weapon that doesnt aim for them.

While I blame IW and Activ for pandering to casual gamers, I really blame casual PC gamers for the problems with MW2. They should really just stop PC gaming and get a console. Will save them thousands of dollars in PC upgrading, if they are able to figure out how to upgrade a PC, and just buy consoles.

Agreed. I can't help but think of some 12 year old on a PC that they are catering to.

true story, because, PC was never in their mind from the start. It feels like PC was the bastard child that the parents didn't care about, and 'made them dinner' with the scraps left over from the other 2 children, and tried to tell the bastard kid it was 'special' for them.

Referring to the fact that the PC version is a direct port from 360

the word 'factual' might have been a poor choice. it seems like the chat session had some valid questions, and then a lot of:

User: "how are you going to avoid lag now that dedicated server support has been eliminated?"
IW rep: "we feel IW.NET will provide a lag-free gameplay experience."
PC community: "OMG they're so vague!"

again i've only perused bits and pieces of the chat session. what i read seemed like a lot of immature bitching, which reflects poorly on the PC gaming community.

the word 'factual' might have been a poor choice. it seems like the chat session had some valid questions, and then a lot of:

User: "how are you going to avoid lag now that dedicated server support has been eliminated?"
IW rep: "we feel IW.NET will provide a lag-free gameplay experience."
PC community: "OMG they're so vague!"

again i've only perused bits and pieces of the chat session. what i read seemed like a lot of immature bitching, which reflects poorly on the PC gaming community.

I guess the part you have missed in alot of the forum discusison is that alot of knowledgable people have asked IW time and time again for some specs on their P2P network. Some real/ factual information about IWNet and how it operates, so we PC gamers dont just cry. SO we can make some really informed decisions. What we got from IW was, Its going to be great. Its going to be better than dedis. This is going to rock.

What we were looking for is:
its P2P, but run on dedis.
You can run a dedi later, we just wanna see how IWNet runs.
We are seriously looking into devkits for modders, but didnt want to delay the release.

We wanted some solid facts about the game, not PR ridden crap.

Leaning may sound trivial to some people, but on the PC, it was one of the defining points of the game. It could easily mean the difference between being dead or alive, and in same cases that could mean the difference between winning or losing. You didn't necessarily have to use it to peek a corner, it was useful to bait a sniper into shooting it by just tapping it. You'd expose just a tiny bit of yourself for just a split second which most people would try to take a shot after a couple times. From there you had a window of opportunity to kill them.

You could always use to to make yourself less visible as it lowered both your view and your model. There were some cases where something would be directly at your eye level, making it impossible to shoot from, but if you leaned then you would be just right. There's a lot of uses for it people wouldn't think of. It was certainly one of those things that could separate the good from the bad players... which apparently IW wants to avoid.

Why do they want to avoid this situation though? Maybe I'm missing something... Apparently these days, nobody wants to lose, ever. Losing is zero fun, maybe even a fun killer. No matter how close or tense the actual game was, losing is always a pile of shit dumped in your lap... or so they think. Without a fair playing field, God only knows how enjoyment of this game would drop like a rock. Thus, no longer are we bound by such annoyances of trying to tweak for performance or even being able to numerically enter your mouse sensitivity. I mean, if someone wants to load a map from the console rather from the list, they are obviously doing so with malicious intent. Perhaps in IW's eyes, these ASSHOLES that have the gall to so much as try to precisely change something are gaining an advantage.

Yes, even though any command that could be used to gain an advantage could be cheat protected and completely unusable in game play, the mere fact that it could be used is horrible. It is horrible not only for the fact that typing a couple words within an optimally used feature is advantageous, but also mind-numbingly complicated to the typical casual gamer. No longer will the casual gamer have to struggle to comprehend features they do not ever need to use. No longer must they lose games and be ruled over by the tyrannical console abusers of whom set their mouse sensitivity to a number so advanced that it had to utilize a decimal point.

What about servers for that matter? Oh yes, perhaps the foulest of all possible PC evils. Dedicated machines created for optimal performance of all connected users? Horseshit. If anything, it is these devil machines that allow the balance of gaming as we know it to be upset. Now however, we have moved onto greater methods that allow people from all over to put their faith in the host. It is this host who will shine like a glorious, white, unstained blade of judgment in the face of all unrest and imbalance. Fear not, for while he may not be able to kick wrongdoers, it is he who can yell loudly into the microphone where he may or may not be muted.

Deliverance from the evils of servers also opens up new bastions of forbearance in way of server browser banishment. With all certainty are such lists too complicated. Should one actually be expected to know what map they wish to play on, or how good of a connection they have in regards to game play? Of course not. One sight of such horrors is all it takes for the colored names of sin to be burned into the soul, forever. In a perfect world, would one expect to be greeted by a rainbow of seemingly unfortold vibrancy when they want to pick a "server" to play on? Truly, reading the name or even taking the leap and trying the blackened form of game play within is only for the most extreme of hardcores. Such plebeians would know not the glories of matchmaking as they do not keep the casuals in mind.

See, casual players consist of various men and women who need not be burdened by such details as words or connection quality. Needless to say, it is about time to cross your fingers and hold onto your hats! Casuals are here to stay, so all you geniuses out there who are living in the PAST (aka a world of complication and mystery) can get FUCKED.

Last edited:

Too bad the clans can't have more than 18 player matches :eek:

Modern WarFAIL 2 sucks!

18 player matches? I never saw any indications as far as magazine reviews, press releases, IW interviews, or infomercials, that mw2 will be limited to 18 player matches. Sorry, and see you in line outside at best buy at midnight to buy the game. :D

18 player matches? I never saw any indications as far as magazine reviews, press releases, IW interviews, or infomercials, that mw2 will be limited to 18 player matches. Sorry, and see you in line outside at best buy at midnight to buy the game. :D

It was in the chat... 9x9 max players.

Explains it all.
2uf7sro.jpg

Teh focus should really be directed at the casual VS gamer argument. There aren't gamers any more. Consoles lowering price point and cultural acceptance now means everyone is a game player. You don't have to fight with things any more and it's about the casual game player versus the gamer. We are a minority now. :p Thankfully games like Dragon Age come out every once in a while that remind me what good games are. Hopefully SC2 will do the same for RTS

It is even worse,

No I won't be getting this title until it is in the bargin bin for $20 since multiplayer is DOA. I'll continue to play Cod4/5 multiplayer with new mods and maps.

Modern WarFAIL2

Those answers are remarkably unprofessional.

Not sure this "developers should be more involved in marketing" is such a good idea.

Rubbish "features". IW, quit cranking shit out like it was Madden and put some effort into it. I won't be paying for console port garbage anymore.

Back