MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

If it'll keep the game hack free, I'm all for it. CoD4 is so rife with hackers it's almost unplayable.

You know I play tons of Call of Duty 4 and I can't say for sure I've ever run into anyone who was cheating. There have been one or two people I seriously suspected were doing so but I never saw anything that definitely convinced me this was the case. This is from countless hours of playing the game. What the hell are you guys doing differently that's got you running into so many cheaters? Are you playing on non-ranked servers or what?

Some 12 y/o's DSL line... hosting 6-8 people (matchmaking, remember?)... host advantage, no mods, no server admins...

*shudders*

For real, how do they expect there to be good pings with no dedicated servers? Or are they doing something like L4D where you can't (at least not by default, yes you can use openserverbrowser) just click a server and join, but rather make like a lobby first? The lobby could then get a server that is available to host the game?

Hahahaha what a joke! And they want how much for this steaming pile of shite? $60? I dont fucking think so! No thank you! What a turn around this game just got, I still cant believe they think that were so fucking stuipid, not gonna buy this game, I hope they go bankrupt...

Someone made the comment somewhere that a dedicated server is like a friendly bar. You go there and know everyone. Every game I play I have my favorite clan server I join. I know the people playing there and know they follow the objectives. Since I have a family and a job that keeps me from gaming like I use to, I'm now a casual gamer. I still play enough were I learn peoples names and get to know them. This new MP model will prevent me from being able to play with the same people and getting to know how they play. It sounds like I'm always going to be playing with strangers. The other thing I'm worried about is the ranking system. If I don't play much and don't get my rank up, am I constantly going to be playing with llama's? Doesn't seem right to me since I'm paying the same amount as everyone else but don't get to join the better groups because of time constraints.

My PC is not a console so I'm skipping this game. I was looking forward to it.

Good Game.

Monthly subscriptions while using VAC or whatever shitty anti-cheat they are using and probably with no new content at all other than the rare patch.

VAC shitty where is that coming from

Valve Anti Cheat is a lot better than Punkbuster

Your ignorance and complacency are mindboggling.

Ignorance? No. I know all to well the ramifications of server latency, I am just apathetic to their decision. There will still be playable multiplayer that I will no doubt have fun playing while you whiners sit around not playing. I know what I would rather be doing... :rolleyes:

Not to mention I'm really looking forward to the SP campaign.

You really can't be under the impression that every single game will be unplayable... :rolleyes:

No, but the situation that he was describing would be and without giving you the option to choose a server you will have a FAR more likely chance of running into unplayable games. They can make all the claims they want about matchmaking being good, but I have used XBL and PSN before the matchmaking in games in generally pretty much shit. Sometimes it will put in good games, sometimes it won't. I don't have the patience to deal with laggy matches. If I run into one I'm more likely to say fuck it and play another game and never come back to that one. As a networking major I'm fully aware of the problems assiated with peer-to-peer networking regarding gaming and I have little interest in dealing with them.

Some 12 y/o's DSL line... hosting 6-8 people (matchmaking, remember?)... host advantage, no mods, no server admins...

*shudders*

For real, how do they expect there to be good pings with no dedicated servers? Or are they doing something like L4D where you can't (at least not by default, yes you can use openserverbrowser) just click a server and join, but rather make like a lobby first? The lobby could then get a server that is available to host the game?

Clearly you don't pay attention to much because what he described would be an unplayable match,

I love how dedicated servers is this huge deal to people that bash what they dont even know. Seriously, get over it. Most XBL games use P2P and most are VERY good. I have played a ton of Halo 2/3, COD games (2, 3, 4, 5), etc. without dedicated servers and they have progressed to the point of working just as well as dedicated servers IMO. Even with dedicated servers you still get lag, issues, connection problems, etc. I have played plenty of games with dedicated servers and seen it first hand.

Good P2P matchmaking picks a good host for all players, lag is minimal for all players, and fun commences. The only issue is when a host quits by turning off their console (when quitting most games will auto negotiate to the next best host).

I can see not having mods as a valid issue, or limited max players, but just bashing it because of high ping is not a good reason anymore as it really is not true.

You also buy and build your PC to play with better graphics, better controls, customization, etc. That is not lost at all.

You really can't be under the impression that every single game will be unplayable... :rolleyes:

When I pay 60 dollars for a game, it's not good enough to say "well, at least not every single game will be unplayable." In fact, it's pretty ridiculous for any gamer to say that for any game, let alone one they will be paying 60 dollars for.

I love how dedicated servers is this huge deal to people that bash what they dont even know. Seriously, get over it. Most XBL games use P2P and most are VERY good. I have played a ton of Halo 2/3, COD games (2, 3, 4, 5), etc. without dedicated servers and they have progressed to the point of working just as well as dedicated servers IMO. Even with dedicated servers you still get lag, issues, connection problems, etc. I have played plenty of games with dedicated servers and seen it first hand.

Good P2P matchmaking picks a good host for all players, lag is minimal for all players, and fun commences. The only issue is when a host quits by turning off their console (when quitting most games will auto negotiate to the next best host).

I can see not having mods as a valid issue, or limited max players, but just bashing it because of high ping is not a good reason anymore as it really is not true.

You also buy and build your PC to play with better graphics, better controls, customization, etc. That is not lost at all.

This remains to be seen.

Fuck you too. I was making a point about what he said in response what that post described.

Wow, there is a grown up response. :rolleyes:

This remains to be seen.

Care to expand? COD4/5 matchmaking work very well, as does GOW2. I barely ever get into a laggy game or get kicked out/have connection issues. I have logged a lot of hours as well.

Frankly TBH I get more laggy games on dedicated servers in TF2 and BF2 overall....

Good P2P matchmaking picks a good host for all players, lag is minimal for all players, and fun commences

You're so wrong it hurts. You have no clue what your ping is playing on XBL. I've played Halo 3 plenty of times when I run someone over only to NOT run them over because they aren't where they look like they are thanks to lag (high ping). You cannot prove to me XBL matchmaking is low ping when you have no idea what your ping is in the first place! I used to play on 56k back for quake 2 and 3, I've done my time with high pings.

Because I have a reason to be mature when someone says I have no right to voice my thoughts.

I didnt say you have no right to voice your thoughts, I was saying that it is stupid how people make P2P into this horrible thing all the time and bash it for things that it is not even like.

Good P2P systems wont make the person with the shittiest internet connection host for example like one person said they do.

You're so wrong it hurts. You have no clue what your ping is playing on XBL. I've played Halo 3 plenty of times when I run someone over only to NOT run them over because they aren't where they look like they are thanks to lag (high ping). You cannot prove to me XBL matchmaking is low ping when you have no idea what your ping is in the first place! I used to play on 56k back for quake 2 and 3, I've done my time with high pings.

Fair enough, but I can usually have a pretty good idea when things are lagging or not just by playing. I have logged enough hours in online games to be able to tell in most cases...if you are saying that all games on XBL are like that or that most are like that you are seriously wrong in your statement as well.

Its not like there are no laggy games, but its not like there are no laggy games with dedicated servers either....server lag happens all the time in many games.

I didnt say you have no right to voice your thoughts, I was saying that it is stupid how people make P2P into this horrible thing all the time and bash it for things that it is not even like.

Good P2P systems wont make the person with the shittiest internet connection host for example.

Except I've never seen a system I would call good. If a matchmaking service puts me in a laggy match, it isn't good. As I said, if I run into a laggy match its more than likely to put me off of the game because I have no intentions of dealing with that shit, I'd rather be having fun and not deal with the frustration of hoping the stupid service that believes it knows what I want puts me in a good match.

Guys, look at the bright side:

We're all gonna save $65 each!

There is another bright side; if the negative response from this decision actually has a measurable negative impact on OMGOMGMW2's sales, you can be sure that other developers (or more importantly, publishers) will think twice before designing P2P matchmaking into their games.

If a game this hyped can take a knock from a horrible design choice that pisses PC gamers off, it might ultimately be a good thing for PC gaming.
AMEN Brothers!!!

All I am saying is that if I have an option between matchmaking and dedicated, I choose dedicated for my FPS games that are more competitive in nature. For Borderlands, L4D (sometimes), Starcraft 2, etc matchmaking works just fine. I can't imagine BF2 trying to have matchmaking at all. It sucks when the host has zero ping and you have a ping in the two to three hundreds. If you are both of equal skill you're probably going to lose, a lot :(

Of course when it comes to clans they have a legit beef because if the playing field can't be evened out by choose a neutral server to play one what's the point? In MW2 someone will have to host and the advantage will go to whatever clan is hosting immediately. This isn't really a concern to me, but it is a point.

I won't even get into the modding/map making community (who from CoD4 have nowhere to go)

Again you guys are just expecting to be put into laggy matches with P2P, but I am telling you it does not happen THAT often from my experience with better matchmaking systems.

Whatever though, I use both and find both have their pros and cons.

Well it's all up to IW to prove us wrong. A demo would've helped significantly with this massive change to PC multiplayer, along with much better community communication. Would they even have announced IWNET if not for the podcast?

im not saving 65$ , im saving 30$ since i bought borderlands instead.

thank you IW

Again you guys are just expecting to be put into laggy matches with P2P, but I am telling you it does not happen THAT often from my experience with better matchmaking systems.

Whatever though, I use both and find both have their pros and cons.

I'm not expecting it, I know it will happen eventually and that simply isn't something I want to deal with. I hate services that remove all control from me. IW's service doesn't allow me to do anything except decide whether or not I want to play multiplayer. They're treating their player base like children, like we don't know how to pick what we want for ourselves. What they are essentially saying is "we don't believe PC gamers are smart enough to pick their own servers so we will do everything for you". They are completely out of touch with the PC gaming community and out of touch with the things that have kept games like CS, CSS, UT, and other shooters alive for years after their release. The only thing IW and Activision want to do is sell you a game you will only play for one year and during that year will pay for shitty little map packs that you used to get for free.

VAC shitty where is that coming from

Valve Anti Cheat is a lot better than Punkbuster

VAC only bans for using Google hacks. And even that usually takes about a month to happen.

PB just kicks people at random.

Tough choice. PB is probably a bit better b/c once in a while it will get lucky and accidentally ban a hacker.

This is dumb, what happens if we don't want to host or become a host. This is just dumb. Most people have crappy uploads. The game is ruined. They won't budge or neogotiate. They won't change one thing at all. Just don't buy it.

Well, FUCK YOU Infinity ward.

I will never buy one of your products again. I will also tell every person I know to do the same.

This is how big companies work people. They sell you throughout the years on there product and when they have you hooked they can deliver any piece of trash they want and you will buy it. Well not this time.

Last edited:

Host 30+ people on a listen server... I dare you.

Agreed. That won't work very well.

yeah no kidding, I can see it now, half people with 200+ ping and people getting pissed off and fighting with each other because there getting killed by lag. Oh man I'd like to be a fly on the wall when the shit hits the fan.

Back