MW2, No Dedicated Servers, PB, 9v9 limit, leaning, etc etc

I signed it and it's pretty cool to see almost 40,000 names already. Some interesting lost revenue for them when you do the math. 60 x 40000 = 2.4 million in potential lost revenue and counting. Gg on that iw. Schmucks.

Yeah well they're still going to blame low sales on piracy no matter what.

I'm very interested to see how Activision reacts to all the hubbub... I can say right now that I am not buying the pc version because of this.

I signed it and it's pretty cool to see almost 40,000 names already. Some interesting lost revenue for them when you do the math. 60 x 40000 = 2.4 million in potential lost revenue and counting. Gg on that iw. Schmucks.
40,000 in 2 days. Jesus Christ.

I can't wait to see if there is an official response on Monday from someone higher up. I'm kind of curious to see if they have a quick way to count up their total presale orders.

Who here thinks we should submit this thread to Steve to put on Hardocp.com front page come monday morning? LMAO.

40,000 in 2 days. Jesus Christ.

I can't wait to see if there is an official response on Monday from someone higher up. I'm kind of curious to see if they have a quick way to count up their total presale orders.

Who here thinks we should submit this thread to Steve to put on Hardocp.com front page come monday morning? LMAO.

+1, Do it Steve! They should be able to some how calculate the loss in preorder sales since they were reserved electronically with a specific minimum of copies going to each business carrying that product. The most painful part about losing all those preorders is the fact that those were commited purchases. The could count on receiving the majority of that revenue and now they get to watch their numbers drop. Oh well

Not going to bother with it. I didn't like COD4 much, but I was still going to buy MWF2. No way in hell now.

The significant others often play, and I host LAN games for friends and family. So the spare copies are installed on spare PCs. :D

Ah, that is understandable, heh.

I really hope we have something come of this. I know that I am now likely not going to purchase MW2 for at least sometime. It's not at the top of my list of games to buy if it doesn't have one of the things that I love about PC gaming...

I predict:

1. Modern Warfare 2 will be the most pirated game of 2009.
2. IW will blame their crappy PC version sales on piracy.

It's funny, I was going to upgrade my rig for this game. Now Intel, ATI and a few other companies are gonna lose some income this holiday when I put that money towards a wheel and cockpit for forza 3 instead. Need to get these companies in on the boycott too :p

I'm confused.

h|g clan says they have a server already for MW2?

Whats going on.

I predict:

1. Modern Warfare 2 will be the most pirated game of 2009.
2. IW will blame their crappy PC version sales on piracy.

Why Pirate it? If people plan to play it, they should buy it. Just because the dev does not include something does not justify pirating it.

So, I've handed out about a half dozen infractions to people in this thread who are saying they're going to pirate this game, or encouraging others to do so.
Everyone should consider that their warning. The next piracy talk in this thread earns a ban.

The $60 price tag for a single-player game is justification alone for not purchasing.

Left 4 Dead 2 and Borderlands will get my money instead. Kthx.

Though I am too shocked and dismayed by the news of the exclusion of dedicated servers...the campaign of COD4, I thought, was pretty damn good...and from the videos of it, I thin MW2's campaign will not dissapoint.

I hope that some how I will be able to play 30 min round after 30 min round of my favorite map in hard core mode with friendly fire on, 3 second/no auto spawn and no kill cam in team deathmatch.

Though I am too shocked and dismayed by the news of the exclusion of dedicated servers...the campaign of COD4, I thought, was pretty damn good...and from the videos of it, I thin MW2's campaign will not dissapoint.

I hope that some how I will be able to play 30 min round after 30 min round of my favorite map in hard core mode with friendly fire on, 3 second/no auto spawn and no kill cam in team deathmatch.

What else is their to do once you complete the main campaign mode in 5 hours worth of play time on a overpriced pc games?

Jump online and play p2p with a maximum of 16 players?

I'm flabbergasted by this news.

No dedicated servers + direct console port + $60 = no buy.

I think you have to be pretty clueless if you end up buying this neutered title

The IW forums are a total mess, I have rarely seen such anger. Many feel utterly betrayed and the clans/ community are in uproar. I think this decision will end up costing IW millions in revenue. A decision born out of greed will end up loosing Activision / IW money, how beautifully ironic.

Last edited:
What else is their to do once you complete the main campaign mode in 5 hours worth of play time on a overpriced pc games?

Jump online and play p2p with a maximum of 16 players?

16 players is more than enough..and is just about right really, keeps things from becoming too much of a frag fest.

16 players is more than enough..and is just about right really, keeps things from becoming too much of a frag fest.

You've never experienced a good big fight then. When you got the right map on and the right settings you can have 64 player matches if you wanted. Anything lower than 24 is a dumbed down experience. 16 is too small. Even then you would lag to death from all the crappy connections. 32 is a requirement these days and so is 64. 64 players has been around since 2002 with battlefield 1942. Quake 3 engine is capable of 64 players also which was made in 1999. Every good game has had dedicated server support back to the late 90s. We are going back a step with mw2. You have no clue what its like to be a pc gamer it seems like.

I think you've stumbled into the wrong forum. Here, let me help get you on your way. :p

But yeah, as Conker said PC gaming really comes into its own w/ big massive battles. I go to LAN's throughout the year and some of them can escalate into 32 or more on the battlefield. There's really just no words to describe the pleasure in that sort of experience when your framerate's above 90 the whole time, everyone's ping's below 10, and the server's a rock. It's BLISS. Pure heaven.

I hope shacknews follow up with Bowler to ask why he flat out lied to them about this issue just under a month ago.

Last edited:
people wont. just like spore

Spore is a bit different though, people were not buying it primarily for net play. I hypothesize that those who unwittingly still buy COD6 only to find a gimped online experience will quickly inform all their colleagues, associates and families not to buy the game, much like what happened with OF:DR.

Now lets hope people stick to their beliefs and actually don't buy the game. Let's hope this isn't like L4D2 boycott group...

I know for a fact I won't buy it, unless they have dedicated server support but until then my pre-order is cancelled.

i was not interested in buying it at release... now im sure i will not touch it until they fix it.

Seriously activision need a good slap in the back of their heads.

Back