Must switch from Firefox to Chrome-advice please

TheArTcher

Limp Gawd
Well, Firefox 22 was the final straw. It runs so slow on my old "internet terminal" computers that it is dysfunctional. I started using the Comodo Dragon version of Chrome and it runs fast enough.

What do you guys use in place of the Noscript extension in Firefox?

Any other recommendations for configuration or extensions?

In Firefox I used Adblock Plus, Noscript, and Ghostery

Thanks,
ArTcher

Toms Hardware just rated Firefox 22 to be the fastest browser in their test. Since you admit it's old hardware, try running an older version of Firefox that is designed for older hardware? (3.6.28 is a good version to try). Also try disabling Hardware acceleration. That can play a huge role on performance (or hurting performance on older hardware). Also, there may be other things wrong like the profile etc.

Toms Hardware just rated Firefox 22 to be the fastest browser in their test. Since you admit it's old hardware, try running an older version of Firefox that is designed for older hardware? (3.6.28 is a good version to try). Also try disabling Hardware acceleration. That can play a huge role on performance (or hurting performance on older hardware). Also, there may be other things wrong like the profile etc.

I unchecked hardware acceleration in the FF options-advanced-general tab and FF runs even slower. The computer I'm currently working with has a 2.16G single-core Athlon CPU. Can you be more specific about other things I could try. Not sure which profile you're talking about.

The other "internet terminals" I'm using have 1.2G to 1.4G single-core Celeron CPUs. Surprisingly, they run FF a little faster than the Athlon. All of these computers have on-chipset graphics and that is probably the limiting factor.

I just read the browser comparison test on Toms Hardware.Very surprised to see FF win.It could be something like Javascript rendering that makes a big difference on my old computers. In my experience, FF has been getting much slower over the past couple of years.

If you want it to work good on slower computers - Opera.

I unchecked hardware acceleration in the FF options-advanced-general tab and FF runs even slower. The computer I'm currently working with has a 2.16G single-core Athlon CPU. Can you be more specific about other things I could try. Not sure which profile you're talking about.

The other "internet terminals" I'm using have 1.2G to 1.4G single-core Celeron CPUs. Surprisingly, they run FF a little faster than the Athlon. All of these computers have on-chipset graphics and that is probably the limiting factor.

I think Adobe Flash is the browser killer for non dual/multicore processors.

You should be using an older version of Firefox anyway. Even my Windows 98 VM's are running Firefox 2 (not 22, Firefox 2) with NoScript and User Agent Switcher, works fine.

You should be using an older version of Firefox anyway. Even my Windows 98 VM's are running Firefox 2 (not 22, Firefox 2) with NoScript and User Agent Switcher, works fine.

What about all the security vulnerabilities in older versions? Seems like an invitation to exploitation.

Back