Must See Video of the Day

HardOCP News

[H] News
According to the Unity game engine website, Adam is a short film created with Unity and rendered in real time. The demo was built to showcase the graphical quality currently achievable with the Unity engine. Now all we need is someone to finish this story!

Will only happen when consoles die off. Otherwise, any game that uses the Unity engine will be restricted to what a PS4 can do.

Why do all those robots make breathing sounds? Other then that it looks cool, now start cranking out games looking like that.

Looks great overall, but I mean, did they have to rip off Neo's "awakening" sequence from "The Matrix" (when he wakes up for the first time in his pod) almost down to the frame? :D

That was my line of thinking as well, I mean if - like The Matrix - people were put to use in other methods and manners instead of just locking 'em up in a prison cell doing not much of anything at all (say making license plates and doing laundry that is) then perhaps there's a more useful purpose overall.

The motion effects for the characters was probably done with MoCap as expected but, near the end when the two additional beings came into the scene, the wind effects were certainly pretty nice, was paying close attention to all of that and it was pretty spot on. Usually the wind effects are way too slow, just totally unnatural - like Aki's hair in "Final Fantasy: The Spirits Within" - but these were pretty damned spot on.

If we get games that look this good consistently then so be it, took long enough. :)

Physically based shading FTW!!!

I wonder what kind of hardware this was running on? I haven't messed with Unity at all, but I have some experience with the Unreal Engine 4 SDK and I was simply amazed what these new shading techniques bring to the table in terms of lighting and image quality. Super impressive stuff!

So basically here is a video of high fidelity graphics that you will never be able to see in an actual game.

I was thinking that it was something along the lines of humans in the future waking up to find their consciousness had been transferred to a robot... ;)
Its a "forever" prison.... lol, you die and you get your consciousness transferred to a robot so you can stay a prisoner forever, ouch....

Why do all those robots make breathing sounds?
They're powered by an oxidation-based fuel cell.

Alternatively, people have a hard time empathizing with things that don't make people noises, so the sound designers opted to plug robot-ish breathing noises in.

Pick whichever answer works for you.

So basically here is a video of high fidelity graphics that you will never be able to see in an actual game.

Agreed. This tech will probably make pretty cut scenes and demos for trade shows to build hype for game pre-orders. Of course we'll find out once again that the graphics will be sliced and diced to run on ancient hardware, just before the games based on it launch.

So this is what they will tease us with in the near future but then release a lame game. LEts hope not I would love for graphics to be this nice and it would entice me to get into fancy 4k monitors etc.

Pretty good, too bad Wastelands2 doesn't look near as good and that is a Unity engine game.

It looks good, however the barrier is now becomming the developer hours to make a whole game look and act that nice.

I'm just waiting for real time ray tracing. That will be a huge step in games. We'll get there eventually.

It's a single GTX 980.

Unity - Adam

To get this fidelity in a game isn't impossible. Just costs heaps of money. Talent isn't free.

Why do all those robots make breathing sounds? Other then that it looks cool, now start cranking out games looking like that.

Like Steve said I think they were people before being transferred to a robot body. It would explain why he tried to take his mask off. Also the breathing sounds would be pretty important to a person suddenly waking up in a robot body. Can you imagine the mental trauma if it felt like you couldn't breathe?

Back