Must have apple software

JulesBravo

Weaksauce
I just got a powerbook g4 and I'm a normally windows/linux type of guy. I was just wondering what sort of cool apple software should I donwload / buy? Prove me wrong that windows isn't better then os x. I only bought this thing because I got a heck of a deal. I'm into games, art, and programming in c++ and python.

well photoshop is always nice to have and you'll probabbly need office (osx has office 2004 which is nice). as for games, you're not a mac gamer apparently unless you've played the marathon series (think doom but with a plot) and i would highly recommend escape velocity nova as well as your standard emulator games.

I have all of the Adobe CS stuff, Microsoft Office, Mathematica, but all my games are windows ports. I'll definitely try your reccomendations.

Web
Firefox, Camino

Graphic
Photoshop, Illustrator, Quark, InDesign

Video
Final Cut Pro, DVD Studio Pro 3, Shake, Motion

Audio
Pro Tools, Soundtrack, Garage band

Life
iPhoto, iMovie, Mail, Appleworks, Aquisition, iStumbler, X11,

Fun?
Enigmo, RockNES, SNES9X, Genisis Plus, KiGB, Sim City 4

Admin
Terminal

There is alot, alot of stuff for you out there, thats just some of the stuff on my dock.

those suggestions are awesome, im so new to mac, but acquisition and netstumbler are great!

thanks!

any others you can think of?

As far as C++ is concerned, XCode, Apple's IDE, is very nice.

I second the motion for EV:Nova. Great game!!

vinividivici said:
sidetrack

you want this. :)
Sidetrack is a beautiful thing :) Make sure you configure all the options, the defaults aren't bad but you don't get the full experience until it's tweaked.

Also, if you use iTunes, synergy has a lot of very nice options ( hot keys to change tracks, album art & track info, etc.)

popirate said:
Sidetrack is a beautiful thing :) Make sure you configure all the options, the defaults aren't bad but you don't get the full experience until it's tweaked.

Also, if you use iTunes, synergy has a lot of very nice options ( hot keys to change tracks, album art & track info, etc.)

see, im not totally sold on sidetrack, when butler/another launcher does something similar for free (at least i think its free)

Butler is great, but it does so much more that it seems like parts of it aren't as polished as they could be.

popirate said:
Butler is great, but it does so much more that it seems like parts of it aren't as polished as they could be.

i'll give you that, but all i need from an itunes controller is prev/next and pause/play. and to be able to assign hotkeys to that... i guess onve you start using the rating options you might need to expand your horizons.

Back