Must hack windows

It's practically impossible to mess anything up if you just read and copy files. Using dd one typo can wipe the whole drive permanently. I wouldn't mess with it unless I absolutely had to create a copy (like when the original drive is failing and data must be rescued).

How could you mess it up "if=" is the source and "of=" is the destination. If you mess that up it won't wipe out the drive, but instead it just won't work unless you do it backwards. I refer to "if=" as input filesystem or input file and "of=" as output filesystems or output file. It's almost like the copy or move command because it's source and then destination. At least it's not like dump or rsync commands because one of those two or cpio is backwards or the other way around and I messed it up in my System Admin class, so it made my parttions really big, corrupted them, and luckily didn't render all the data on the system unusable though.

Last edited:
How could you mess it up "if=" is the source and "of=" is the destination. If you mess that up it won't wipe out the drive, but instead it just won't work unless you do it backwards. I refer to "if=" as input filesystem or input file and "of=" as output filesystems or output file. It's almost like the copy or move command because it's source and then destination. At least it's not like dump or rsync commands because one of those two or cpio is backwards or the other way around and I messed it up in my System Admin class, so it made my parttions really big, corrupted them, and luckily didn't render all the data on the system unusable though.

A needless operation is a needless risk. If all you do is read, nothing by definition can get damaged.

A needless operation is a needless risk. If all you do is read, nothing by definition can get damaged.

Whatever B00nie, that's like saying it a good idea to run programs or virtual machines from the external drive a person would keep backups on and hope the drive doesn't fail because it wore out or just suddenly stopped working.

Whatever B00nie, that's like saying it a good idea to run programs or virtual machines from the external drive a person would keep backups on and hope the drive doesn't fail because it wore out or just suddenly stopped working.

Completely unrelated to this thing. You seem to have an issue with finding problems where they don't exist (such as building your own tiny test server and following Oracle guidelines for Forbes top 10 enterprise level implementations lol.

No, you don't need a huge raid or separate hard drives when your data set is from 100kb to a few megabytes lol.

Bloody hell, I would have got to this data by whatever means weeks ago.

All this fluffing about over not reading the drive unless it's a backup because you might somehow corrupt the data on the source drive is ridiculous!

Bloody hell, I would have got to this data by whatever means weeks ago.

All this fluffing about over not reading the drive unless it's a backup because you might somehow corrupt the data on the source drive is ridiculous!

I've only had the computer a week.....

I've already pulled the drive out of it's system. Stuck it in the SATA dock on my case and copied the user directory (after making sure no data was elsewhere)

Please explain why using a (e)sata dock is bad? I hope everyone understands this is a HOME computer with no mission critical data on it.

When I have a few hours I will stick the drive back in, turn on the admin acct and look at the browsers, etc.

Yes, I know I can copy the bookmarks etc.

I really appreciate the help from everyone.

It is not unlikely someone else might be in this situation, please let's keep the thread constructive, and on topic.

If he wasn't very tech savvy then he probably didn't have a long password. Sadly most passwords are 14 characters or less and easily broken with rainbow tables. If this is the case, a bootable ISO of Ophcrack (or many many similar) will get you the password in probably <30 seconds.

If the phonebook you wanted is a .pst, you can just copy that...

I've only had the computer a week.....

I've already pulled the drive out of it's system. Stuck it in the SATA dock on my case and copied the user directory (after making sure no data was elsewhere)

Please explain why using a (e)sata dock is bad? I hope everyone understands this is a HOME computer with no mission critical data on it.

When I have a few hours I will stick the drive back in, turn on the admin acct and look at the browsers, etc.

Yes, I know I can copy the bookmarks etc.

I really appreciate the help from everyone.

It is not unlikely someone else might be in this situation, please let's keep the thread constructive, and on topic.

Elf_Boy,

My sincerest apologies, after reading my comment I realised that it could be interpreted as being aimed solely at yourself, that was not my intention.

My frustration was aimed more at the individuals providing advice that literally over complicate the issue, and even then my frustration was really only aimed at one individual in particular. :)

I've been a bit slow to get started :)

I have the tools I need I just need to get off my hands and get to work.

that's just a google search link. I didn't point to anything specific. the first link is Linux based and the second is windows based but both boot off the usb stick into a stand alone environment that will let you remove passwords. its not limited to/by windows version.

If all else fails you can just use Ophcrack Linux to crack or change the password and sorry I didn't think of this in the first place or tell you about it in the first place. Hopefully, this reply will not be considered thread neckroing either.

Last edited:
You realise this is an old dead thread?

You may have missed the various posts about using docks, etc?

I very much appreciate any and all help anyone is willing to offer, maybe next time you should read more then 1 post?

this thread was weird.

why make an image of a drive? that's pointless.

unless you have Vaseline on your hands or they are literally made of butter the chances of serious data loss are slim to none.

this thread was weird.

why make an image of a drive? that's pointless.

unless you have Vaseline on your hands or they are literally made of butter the chances of serious data loss are slim to none.

Ok Master_Skake tell us more about why you should make an image of a drive before you data carve if you're such a Computer Forensics expert. Anyway they just need to change the password, which they can do with the windows installation disc or disk by changing one of the ease of access programs to the cmd aka command line program and editing the password file that way or just use ophcrack, but whatever this is an old thread and apparently they solved their problem already anyway. Therefore, it's time to move on.

Ok Master_Skake tell us more about why you should make an image of a drive before you data carve if you're such a Computer Forensics expert. Anyway they just need to change the password, which they can do with the windows installation disc or disk by changing one of the ease of access programs to the cmd aka command line program and editing the password file that way or just use ophcrack, but whatever this is an old thread and apparently they solved their problem already anyway. Therefore, it's time to move on.

um.... i didn't say you had to, in fact i said it was pointless.

hey Elf_Boy you should close this thread since you already got things sorted. ppl are popping in to make pointless comments now...

Shall Not Post!.jpg

YOU SHALL NOT POST!

Best I can do.
-EB

As the thread creator you can delete it outright or ask an Admin or Mod to lock it preventing further replies.

There is useful info for other ppl with the same or similar problem. I dont want to delete the thread.

I also dont want it to degenerate.

if you go to the front page for the os forum and click the edit button you can close the thread without it being deleted.

Back