Musicians Game Spotify With Silent Album

HardOCP News

[H] News
This is a pretty damn clever way to raise money to fund a free concert tour. Even Spotify called it a "clever stunt." ;)

In this YouTube post Vulfpeck’s frontman Jack Stratton claims that for each Spotify user that streams “Sleepify”—which is comprised of ten tracks of complete silence—on repeat throughout the night, the band will make $4. If enough people do it, that could help it fund a free tour, which Stratton claims will visit the cities that stream the album the most.

Damn, that is pretty neat.

I actually am one of those 6 million people paying for the service, which I find to be a pretty good price for the level of service provided.

I didn't realize that 70% of their revenues go to royalties, but even still, at $10 a month, with 6 million subscribers, that means they get to operate out of the remaining $18 million or so per month...no wonder there is talk of an IPO.

Damn, that is pretty neat.

I actually am one of those 6 million people paying for the service, which I find to be a pretty good price for the level of service provided.

I didn't realize that 70% of their revenues go to royalties, but even still, at $10 a month, with 6 million subscribers, that means they get to operate out of the remaining $18 million or so per month...no wonder there is talk of an IPO.

pay for music? Is this the 90's?

So during the concert, would they just like stand there silently for an hour?

I get that this will generate 'buzz' and all, but the whole silent album thing is totally unnecessary. You could easily ask people to play your real albums on repeat -- it's not hard to mute your system.

If you can afford an i7-K then you can afford to pay for your music.
I can, but i wont. Well i do pay for bands that i actually care about and not tied to some big name record company,but that's only a handful.

Why? Its a great service.

Because the world was so much better during the days when Album's (CD's) cost $20+ and singles cost $8-10 and the music industry had a stranglehold over artists to the point of which music could only foster to the general public if it was mass marketable. The indie scene was almost entirely confined to big cities and small towns. Then the Internet and MP3's happened.

Streaming music is here to stay but artists want a bigger cut from Spotify. Pandora pays quite a bit more to artists but also gives users far less freedom over what they hear and when.

The music industry loves Spotify because they get a bigger cut from them then the artists do. But the artists sign away the rights to their music once they hook on to a big publisher.

Basically its a dance of greed over rights over ownership.

What these artists don't seem to realize is that the common Spotify user isn't out to "screw them" and is simply using whatever service suits their needs. To be frank the music industry is lucky most people don't just pirate whatever they want , its easier than its ever been and you can anything from the best recordings to the rarest of albums. The fact that people are willing to pay a monthly subscription and/or purchase music from iTunes/Amazon is kind of amazing and shows that while the artists are due a cut of what they create they also need to keep in mind the end user often gets the shaft rather than the big monopoly music industry.

Why? Its a great service.
Great for the end user, for the musician not so much. Look at the billions Silicon Valley is now making from the music business, while the actual content creators are struggling more than ever.

My statement was a simple lashing out. I realize there are no easy answers, and the reasons for musicians getting screwed are many and Byzantine.

I can, but i wont. Well i do pay for bands that i actually care about and not tied to some big name record company,but that's only a handful.

But by your very admittance you do pay for music. Your limited taste is the only thing holding you back.

Now there is some music like video game and japanese composed music that is very popular and sought after but is not available to purchase for us westerners (in a way that benefits the artist or even label). But I doubt your hanging out at FF Shrine to get music....

Back