Music too loud. Talking too quiet

Ron1jed

Supreme [H]ardness
When i watch movies the action and music is crazzyyy loud and the talking I can barely. How can i fix this

Turn on any dynamic range compressors if available, on my Yamaha AVR it's called Adaptive DRC. If your receiver has none you can try boosting the frequencies that dialog typically falls into via the equalizer. If you don't have that, run the auto calibration if it's got it, and failing that or if also unavailable it's really time to think about upgrading.

This is assuming your are using a receiver. Your post was amazingly sparse for someone that wants effective help.

How many speakers? Are you downmixing audio when watching movies if your speaker count is less than the audio channel count?

DTS has less dynamic range than dolby digital IIRC so try using DTS, also bump up the DB in your center channel, turn down the sub.

If you really want to go all technical and you have some sort of adjustment, the human voice is generally somewhere in the 1K range and you could bump that up a little but as others have stated, cut out the lows a little, bump up the center channel as well as trying dts.

Last time i had this problem, my cat chewed through my center channel cable.

Make sure it is on, voices should be coming from there most of the time.

are you speakers all matched? or are they a mix and match?

You will have to give us a little more details like

receiver being used
speakers and config (ie 2.1, 3.1, 5.1, etc)
what media is being watched (DVD, Blu-ray, etc)

If you have no sound pressure meter, the best way to get the system to where you can hear it is to run the test tone (yamaha uses this for example) and adjust the level on the center until it appears to be as loud as the others.

It is preferred to use the automated setup like YPAO or Audessy EX, etc if your receiver has it. Put the Mic in the listening position and run the routine from the remote

If you have a Sound Pressure Meter, you can run the test tone and adjust all channels until you get the same levvel from each....

wow you guys really know what you talking about here lol

I was just thinking maybe cuse its set to 5.1 and i should put it to stero or something. I don't have a fancy sound set up.

i watch movies on a desktop computer with 2 usb power speakers :-P

I was just thinking maybe cuse its set to 5.1 and i should put it to stero or something. I don't have a fancy sound set up.

Are you using a receiver? If so, set it to stereo. If you are plugged directly into your computer's sound card, set the sound card output to stereo

Bump up the center channel

Agreed - someone else mentioned the center may not even be working which is another possibility.

Run your surround test tones - I like the center to be 1-2db above the rest just for added clarity. You can do it by ear or get a cheap sound level meter from radio shack. Your receiver may also have a calibration mic system, and if so, try running that.

Set it to stereo. The reason talking is too quiet is because with it being set to 5.1, voices are being sent to a non-existant center channel. Setting it to 2.0 will ensure that voices are routed through the 2 [front] speakers.

If you still have problems, boost 500,1000,2000 Hz equalization bands. This is where most speach lives. Music exists above and below this.

If I didn't know better, I would say your equalizations settings were messed with and never reset. I had a sound card like that. If you changed the sound environment, it would stay changed in the card unless you reset it with the same drivers. Happened when I had a crash. There was reverb turned on and until I got the drivers installed, turned on reverb and turned it off again, it kept doing it during the setup process.

This is common with downloaded torrent that are not correctly encoded. Also with a system that is not correctly set up. Idealy asuming your using a HTPC you want to bit stream your sound to a high quality DAC for DTS or Dolby Digital 5.1 so you can get a clear center channel. Most BR and DVD will have a separate 2.1 which would sound better on a system that is not true 5.1.

Sounds like the center channel when in 5.1 mode is not working or its to low.

Center is where most of the "front" voice comes from / Dialogue

The really stupid answer that nobody will like: download the .avi versions instead.

even with a stereo set up it seems these days movies are being mad worse and worse in that talking is so quiet and everything else is blaring loud! i get this on both my TVs just streaming movies to them.

Back