Music player for x64, sync program for old 5G iPod

veritas7

Gawd
Since my move to x64 Win7, I haven't synced my iPod. I've been dying to get some new material on it, but I'm unsure what I should do.

I haven't attempted trying to install iTunes - one, I heard of problems with iTunes and x64, and also, I hate how iTunes uses its own tagging and doesn't conform to many MP3 tagging standards.

Two, I've been itching to try other players. Ones that work also in Win 7 x64... I've tried foobar, but it seems like it likes to crash a lot (even with compatibility modes and admin enabled).

Also, since I won't be having iTunes, what would be the best method to sync my iPod? Load up RockBox (since it's a 5th Gen, one without encrypted firmware) and then use... some simple folder / xcopy program to sync my music folder?

I'm at a loss here, I'm just trying to find a setup that will play nice with Windows 7 x64 and be able to get new music on my iPod again :\

Mediamonkey.

I use it on Win7 x64 with no problems. Has awesome tagging capabilities and looks great; it's pretty light, too.

I use it to sync my Sony Walkman. Should work no problem with an iPod. Simple as right-click > Send to > iPod.

Thanks! If the app already has a sync option, even better, no need to load Rockbox or looking for separate folder sync programs :)

Ephpod should work with that pre-encryption model of iPod without issues. Now, as for it working in Windows 7 x64 well, there's one way to find out. :)

That was my app of choice for the time I owned older iPods, with me very rarely installing iTunes for anything.

I sync all my iPods without a hitch using MediaMonkey on my 7 x64 system. IMO, nothing touches it for being feature complete and fast OOTB. Multithreaded encoding was just icing on the cake.

Wow, just want to comment back, I'm really loving MediaMonkey. I was skeptical because of the name (imo anything with "Monkey" in its name) but dang this program has me sold.

Thanks again!

I haven't attempted trying to install iTunes - one, I heard of problems with iTunes and x64, and also, I hate how iTunes uses its own tagging and doesn't conform to many MP3 tagging standards.
iTunes works very nicely on 7 x64. Almost as well as iTunes on OS X, in fact, which is pretty exciting.

As for iTunes tagging, it's pretty conformant. There are only a couple issues:

A) iTunes uses the BAND tag rather than the ALBUMARTIST tag to define the album artist. Non-iTunes media players need to be told what to do with BAND, but it isn't a big problem (I tag my MP3s with both BAND and ALBUMARTIST).

B) iTunes writes SoundCheck tags rather than ReplayGain tags. Not a big deal if you don't use any volume normalization.

No real-time folder monitoring is a deal-breaker for me and iTunes.

Dare I say it... but MediaMonkey is like foobar and iTunes together. foobar customization and features, iTunes navigation and syncing ability :D

I just used WMP 12 to sync up with an MP3 player. Seems to work good and it comes on x64 edition.

Mild thread revival here but since there's a few MM users that posted in this thread I figured one of you might have an answer for me...

I've been using both foobar and MM for a while, but it wasn't 'till recently that I ripped my entire music collection to FLAC... In the past I'd used this program called CD Art Display to show album art & track info on my desktop, now here's the issue, it won't work with MM while playing FLAC files due to the way it communicates with MM. I'm not sure if it'll work w/foobar, from what I understand CDAD either reads MP3 tags directly from the files (but only off MP3s), looks for art in a directory, or relies on the player program to pass along info in a specific way.

I'm gonna try it with foobar and if it works properly I might just keep using foobar for playback (can't be bothered to mess with it for anything else, too much work) and MM for organization & tagging... If it doesn't I'm still left looking for a prety way to display album art and track info on the desktop while using MM or foobar and playing FLAC files. Is there some nifty MM skin or foobar config that will accomplish that?

Edit: To clarify, I don't have album art stored within directories, it's all tagged within the FLAC files & MP3s... That's the way I have MM set up to do it for me. I guess I could go thru the mild trouble of using MM to re-add album art to the FLAC directories since the FLAC/rip collection is all stored in logical album directories, and then just have it read album art off the tags for the rest of my tracks (MP3 downloads, which are mostly in a single catch-all directory).

Last edited:
I keep trying other stuff, but I always end up back with either foobar or media monkey.

MM is effing great, buts its a little too resource heavy for my netbook. I use MM on my desktop, and foobar 1.0b4 on my little baby netbook (1000he).

IMO this is hands down the best audio combo, foobar where resources are a concern, and media money anywhere a few extra cpu cycles can be traded for a freaking awesome ui!!

If you have a really high end comp audio setup tho, I find sometimes foobar sounds a little better. It could just be a placebo effect though after hearing how great foobar sound is after all these years. I especially love the foobar equalizer, its like the only one that doesn't seem to affect the music in any other way except what its supposed too. I rarely if ever use an eq on anything but foobar!

Byebye!

Back