Music Piracy Continues to Decline Thanks to Spotify

HardOCP News

[H] News
Imagine that, free (legal) music services are helping to reduce piracy by as much as 25%. Whoddathunkit?

A new report looking into online music consumption habits shows that since 2009 the number of people who pirate music has dropped by 25 percent in Sweden. The sharp decrease coincides with a massive interest for the music streaming service Spotify. One of the main reasons why people switch to legal services is the wider range of material they can find there.

.. and then they get crapped up with Facebook integration :(

I liked Spotify too, but the tracking mania via Facebook isn't something I can support.

Yeah I f'in love Spotify. Even hard to find tracks are usually easy to search for.

I liked Spotify too, but the tracking mania via Facebook isn't something I can support.

Couldn't you just make a bogus facebook account with fake info and throwaway email address, and then forget about it?

Personally, I don't get the appeal of Spotify... If I wanna be surprised by music I don't own, Pandora still seems better suited... And as far as the music I do know and enjoy, I'd rather just buy it outright than pay a monthly fee and be streaming constantly.

Now if the PC client of Spotify didn't fucking look like bullshit iTunes and used the default windows theme...

I really like using it, I had an account before the Facebook thing so I can't comment on that. If it only had a feature like Pandora where when I was working I didn't have to individually select the music, I would get the paid for service. Otherwise for free, finding basically any song I want instantly is a pretty dam sweet deal.

todays music isn't even worth stealing or sharing.... turn off tune out

Is Spotify like Pandora?

Not exactly, it's like Pandora on manual mode. You can make playlists, play any song at any time, etc... But it isn't a radio like model in the Pandora/Slacker vein. Basically if you don't keep adding tracks it's not gonna automatically play anything for you... And there's a monthly fee for mobile use, also unlike Pandora. There's more social integration too.

It's actually kind of the complete opposite, only similar in that they're streaming services.

The music industry and the RIAA created Napster and illegal file sharing. There was a need and they didn't fill in the gap. So somebody else did. Offer your product at a reasonable price and people will buy it. Buying a $20 CD for one song was and is still rediculous.

Personally, I don't get the appeal of Spotify... If I wanna be surprised by music I don't own, Pandora still seems better suited... And as far as the music I do know and enjoy, I'd rather just buy it outright than pay a monthly fee and be streaming constantly.

I set Pandora aside for Spotify because I can access entire catalogs/albums of bands when I want to, and not be stuck with the random/radio format (though that can be essentially replicated by playlists, if the effort is made). But I agree with you in that I prefer to purchase the music I do like rather than pay a lifetime fee to stream anything/everything.

I'm not anticipating the day when spotify starts to limit monthly access on the free account side, as I understand they did for the folks across the pond. I think after 6 months they get knocked down from unlimited to 10 hours, divided weekly throughout the month.

The movie and TV industry need to take notice. Offer your products for download at a fair price and people will pay instead of steal.

And no HBO offering it for sale a full year after it aired doesnt count. We want content in a timly manner or it will just get pirated for free.

From what i've seen in real life, if it isn't 100% free, people will pirate it, no matter how cheap it is.

If you build it they will come...

On the other hand you could always just lock it down and sue everyone, that works too. :D

Grooveshark is just as good.

It's nearly as good. I made the switch when Spotify crippled the free, ad-sponsored version so you could only listen to each track a few times. I've had to resort to downloading some new or rare albums because I couldn't find them on Grooveshark, though they were available on Spotify.

say what? can you elaborate? (sounds like I better get off it)

Yeah, I don't know what he's talking about. I'm a huge fan of grooveshark - has 99% of the music I search for. The sharing of playlists (I'm guessing others do this now too) is awesome.

If you have an html5 browser, grooveshark will use html5, not flash, for it's gui.

I guess giving people a good product at a good price brings more success than suing everyone who enjoys your product into oblivion.

I don't think they considered the possibility that most pirates may have filled up their music libraries already, and the decrease is due to them only torrenting new albums.

And you will see the drop in music piracy here in Slovakia and another countries as well, as Apple finally decided that this small stupid country is worth to expand their iTunes store to. EU member since 2004 and Euro-zone member since 2009, but we got noticed by Apple just now :). 1.29€ per song is much better than 12-20€ per physical CD release.

I don't think they considered the possibility that most pirates may have filled up their music libraries already, and the decrease is due to them only torrenting new albums.
Hmm you have a good point here. No reason to download something you already have.

It make me wonder though...legitimate purchases would go down since people already bought the music. But then again, they'd just blame piracy for that, too. The only reason sales can go down is piracy, remember?

It make me wonder though...legitimate purchases would go down since people already bought the music. But then again, they'd just blame piracy for that, too. The only reason sales can go down is piracy, remember?

Of course. /me just downloading all 234 parts of Tiesto's Club Life (each one is a 1 hour mix) for free from iTunes, but i guess pirates will be responsible for the fact that i won't buy much songs for next few weeks or months too. Not the 234 hours of free music :D.

There are so many net streams, I don't have any use for Spotify, Grooveshark, music stores (B+M or net), or pirating. No use for FB either.

(( sits back comfortably while you all stew in debate )) :D

This..I was looking forward to trying it until they decided to force that garbage.

Grooveshark is just as good.

Honestly it is better to be fair. Love having my grooveshark play lists on all my devices.

Couldn't you just make a bogus facebook account with fake info and throwaway email address, and then forget about it?

No..I don't even want a fake facebook account.

never heard of Spotify until the recent news posts.....Pandora works fine for casual use....

Spotify is fucking amazing. If you're opposed to facebook integration, create an account just for spotify as others have suggested. I have used (and paid for) Pandora and Slacker, and I have also used Last.fm and Grooveshark. Spotify is head and shoulders above all IMHO.

i use 8tracks.com - the selection isn't always exactly what i am looking for, but most of the time its pretty sweet.
i also clear cookies to be able to go back and play a song again. mind you i format and reinstall so many times a day (8x today) that i hardly ever have to do that. lol

I'm not a fan of pandora/grooveshark/spotify.

I'll stick to buying cds and using what/waffles.

Not exactly, it's like Pandora on manual mode. You can make playlists, play any song at any time, etc... But it isn't a radio like model in the Pandora/Slacker vein. Basically if you don't keep adding tracks it's not gonna automatically play anything for you... And there's a monthly fee for mobile use, also unlike Pandora. There's more social integration too.

It's actually kind of the complete opposite, only similar in that they're streaming services.
Ahh, I see. The way you described it, I think Pandora and iHeartRadio are the way to go for me on my phone. They're both free and work great, at least for mobile use. :cool: Maybe I'll try Spotify on my PC just for kicks. I've never tried Slacker either (yet).

Back