Music does not use my sub since video card upgrade

Kaizer

Gawd
Since upgrading from an AMD 6850 to a Nvidia 960gtx, ive lost the sound in my subwoofer for any music from mp3's or pandora. Games and movies work just fine.

Im running Windows 10, Nvidia 960gtx HDMI ---> Sony STR-DN-1040 ---> HDMI to Monitor

I cant seem to find any setting to change to force it to use the subwoofer, using the multi-stereo mode on the receiver doesnt make any difference. Any ideas??

There is a firmware update for the Sony STR-DN-1040 receiver:
https://esupport.sony.com/US/p/model-home.pl?mdl=STRDN1040&template_id=1&region_id=1&tab=download#/downloadTab

i'm thinking it could be a issue with the hdmi driver, what version nvidia drivers are you using?
make sure your pc is using the proper hdmi driver. (the amd hdmi driver may still be installed)

Since the monitor's edid tells the videocard what audio it supports, maybe that is the issue? try unplugging the monitor and connect it using dvi, display port or vga to test this.

https://forums.geforce.com/default/topic/481638/cant-get-5-1-audio-over-hdmi/

Last edited:
I cant seem to find any setting to change to force it to use the subwoofer, using the multi-stereo mode on the receiver doesnt make any difference. Any ideas??

Sometimes windows resets speaker config from 5.1 to stereo. Check that.

taken from the nvidia forum:
This unfortunately is by design. Your HDTV has an internal EDID which tells our graphics card what video and audio modes it supports. Currently it is telling our graphics card that it supports stereo only so we are sending stereo. I am trying to get the driver team to allow the user to override the audio settings similar to how you would do it on a consumer elecronic device (ie blu-ray player, Playstation 3,etc.).

(posts go till 10/22/2015.. no fix from nvidia for this particular issue yet)

If there is a way to disable HDMI pass through on the amp, that may sort it.
When using pass through it sees the TV directly.

If your main display connection to the TV is through the amp, this can introduce extra lag.
In this case, use 2 HDMI connections from your gfx card, one to the amp, one to the TV.

If there is a way to disable HDMI pass through on the amp, that may sort it.
When using pass through it sees the TV directly.

If your main display connection to the TV is through the amp, this can introduce extra lag.
In this case, use 2 HDMI connections from your gfx card, one to the amp, one to the TV.

This kind of resolved it :) I had updated my nvidia drivers to the latest, but it still didnt resolve the issue. I had indeed checked the speaker settings, and it did change when I first installed the card, but as I was saying.. games / movies used the full 5.1 with no issues so it was certainly passing the audio.

Oddly I didnt have to turn off the pass through, but instead there was an option under HDMI, Audio Out was set to Amp.. which is what I thought it should be, as my monitor has no speakers, however for some changing this to TV + AMP let me have my subwoofer again for music. Im not entirely sure how that makes sense, but it worked.

Back