Mushkin running out of BH-5 .....so they reintroduce BH-6

Drisler

Gawd
http://www.mushkin.com/epages/Mushk...a01e7274e273fc0a80102061e/Product/View/991153

Mushkin's newest PC3200 product. Lowest latency PC3200 found on the planet today. CAS2-2-2 hand selected 6ns chips screened for 400MHz CAS222 results! Tested 222 compatibility on chipsets including nForce2, Intel 865/875, VIA KT400.

Q: What is the difference between this new 222 build and the PC3200 222 - Black Hi Perf Level II?
A: The Black High Performance level II used the Winbond BH5 chips, which are no longer in production. This new 222 special build uses Winbond BH6. They perform just as well as the BH5 at 3200 speed, but may no be as overclockable in your system.

Q: Can I mix the Level II I have installed now with these new modules?
A: Yes. Compatibility is not an issue, they have been tested running together at 3200, CAS222.

why did they stop producing the BH-5 chips, if they were so godly and so OCable, then why stop making them?

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
why did they stop producing the BH-5 chips, if they were so godly and so OCable, then why stop making them?

I think they were overly expensive to fabricate and the demand wasn't as high then or something.

This new BH-6 sounds interesting. If it overclocks better then CH-5 then thats all the reason needed to buy Mushkin over anything else that doesn't use BH-6 :).

Originally posted by Carnival Forces
...because it's my understanding that they didn't make them, they bought them from someone else. No more being made = can't keep buying them. Even if the packages say "Mushkin" on them, they would have been custom lasermarked by the die manufacturer for the OEM at packaging.

I'm very sure if they had the option, they'd have bought them forever; their "Level Two" RAM is / was about the best stuff you could buy.

We'll see how the BH-6 stuff runs.....if it's from Mushkin, it's definitely worth a try.

Cheers - B.B.S.

Im sorta confused by your post BlindedByScience. Winbond makes all the BH-5, BH-6, CH-5 chips not Mushkin. Mushkin just makes the PCB's as do most all the other RAM manufasters except for like Geil and Samsung and such who make their own chips.

Originally posted by burningrave101
Im sorta confused by your post BlindedByScience. Winbond makes all the BH-5, BH-6, CH-5 chips not Mushkin. Mushkin just makes the PCB's as do most all the other RAM manufasters except for like Geil and Samsung and such who make their own chips.
...hey, I confuse myself, too....:D

The question was "why did Mushkin quit making BH-5's" and my answer was meant to be "they don't make the chips, they buy them from someone else". I have seen chips from Mushkin that actually said "Mushkin" on the IC's, so it's pretty clear to me that some custom labeling was / is going on. If I bought enough IC's, I could get 'em that said "BBS" on them. But, of course, Mushkin doesn't make the IC's; that was my point.

....right?

Cheers - B.B.S.

i remember reading that the bh-6's could even acheive higher FSB speeds with the same timings. like the people who use phase changing cooling systems were looking for bh-6s because they could reach ungodly speeds.

well its according to my speculation. nothing else.

EDIT: I LOVE MUSHKIN!

Originally posted by BlindedByScience
...because it's my understanding that they didn't make them, they bought them from someone else. No more being made = can't keep buying them. Even if the packages say "Mushkin" on them, they would have been custom lasermarked by the die manufacturer for the OEM at packaging.

I'm very sure if they had the option, they'd have bought them forever; their "Level Two" RAM is / was about the best stuff you could buy.

We'll see how the BH-6 stuff runs.....if it's from Mushkin, it's definitely worth a try.

Cheers - B.B.S.
thx for the answer ^_-

So if Mushkin is going to manufacture RAM with BH-6 the BH-5 RAM would still be in stock by some retailers like Newegg right?I'm assuming that NewEgg has some little stock pile left. After hearing this news i'm not going to wait for newegg to drop their prices (currently $305+tax because i'm CA resident) i lost my chance at getting it for $283 which just makes me mad as hell :mad:

Well with the production of BH-6, if its in any quanity at all prices will start to drop again once they have plenty to supply the demand. I would wait and not spend over $300 on them at newegg. They'll hopefully drop back down around $280 or less soon.

Originally posted by asianguy80
So if Mushkin is going to manufacture RAM with BH-6 the BH-5 RAM would still be in stock by some retailers like Newegg right?I'm assuming that NewEgg has some little stock pile left. After hearing this news i'm not going to wait for newegg to drop their prices (currently $305+tax because i'm CA resident) i lost my chance at getting it for $283 which just makes me mad as hell :mad:

The BH-5 will soon be out of stock everywhere...including Newegg. The BH-6 are a new product for Mushkin...so it gets a new name to distinguish it from BH-5 products.

At least mushkin is cool and lets their customers know what is going on some other companies might just switch the chips and keep the same name to keep selling them like hotcakes.:D

Yes I respect them for that

Mushkin knew people liked them for the o/c ablitly

I dont think they chose to stop making them, I think they ran out of BH-5. We will just have to wait and see if the ram works good.

I am getting a kick out of the naming system winbond is using. If you look at their naming scematics usually the last number corresponds with ram speed. They made the BH5(200), BH7.5(166) and BH11(133).

So this would be slower(?) but sounds faster :D

bh6 = 6ns = 166mhz, bh5 = 5ns = 200mhz, bh4 = 4ns = 250mhz

BH-6 is not as fast as BH-5. Noone ever said it was :). BH-6 is nothing new, its been around for a while.

Mushkin should be trying to get BH-4 not crappier BH-6. Adata uses BH-4 but on crap PCB's. So why can't Mushkin and their awesome pcb's get ahold of some BH-4????

Well with the production of BH-6, if its in any quanity at all prices will start to drop again once they have plenty to supply the demand. I would wait and not spend over $300 on them at newegg. They'll hopefully drop back down around $280 or less soon.

Is it possible that newegg would drop prices back down anytime soon? I'm in some need of better RAM.* refer to sig :(

I doubt the Mushkin Level II right now (which uses the BH-5 chips) will be dropping, seeing as how they're on the last of the supply. If anything, the price will keep rising. Case in point: Price was 280 beginning of December for the 512x2 pack, then 283 when I bought it, then 300 when I got off Christmas break. Now it's 305 bucks.

They'll run out soon though because Newegg has to get in a new shipment of the stuff pretty often to keep it in stock because there is a huge amount of shoppers on newegg.

They'll run out soon though because Newegg has to get in a new shipment of the stuff pretty often to keep it in stock because there is a huge amount of shoppers on newegg.

Would it be advisable to purchase the RAM now at $305 or wait for the price to go down (if ever it would happen) to around $280+ again?

If your wanting the best overclocking RAM then you better go ahead and get the BH-5 now because BH-6 wont overclock as well. Its not able to reach the same speeds as BH-5. After all its only 166MHz chips while the BH-5 is 200MHz.

*frantically looks around* NewEgg just dropped prices on the PC-3500 Mushkin Level 2's to 299.00 worth the wait?! I was planning on ordering last night for $305.00. The only reason i hold back is because I'm from CA and they charge tax which is ~$24. I'm going to wait it out! :| Hopefully they can magically come back down to $283.00!! Funny thing is I live 15 minutes away from NewEgg itself. I wish they had instore :(

well I dont know about other people but it appears that the news has probably hit the fan because new egg is out of the Mushkin PC-3500 Levl 1 RAM. I'm not sure if the Level 1's use BH-5? If not then it's probably just a phase because all the PC-3500's RAMs went down the X99.00 price. I guess i'll be ordering mine tonight.

level II has BH-5, level 1 has ch-5 or bh-6

level II will probably never go down in price sorry. newegg probably has some of the last bh-5 chips in existence, so i imagine that if anything the price will go up :(

Originally posted by hi_its_ryan
level II has BH-5, level 1 has ch-5 or bh-6

level II will probably never go down in price sorry. newegg probably has some of the last bh-5 chips in existence, so i imagine that if anything the price will go up :(

Yea but i dont see how they can possibly keep them in stock for very long because they are a hot item and what newegg has is all their getting in.

LVL 1 uses CH-5 chips and runs 2-3-2-5.

Back