Mushkin Pilot 250GB m.2 nvme $60 @ egg

I have a Z97 board, if I get a PCI-e adapter, can I boot from it?

I have a Z97 board, if I get a PCI-e adapter, can I boot from it?

Depends on which Z97 board but most will.

Most Z97 boards with the built-in m.2 nvme slot runs at 2x. To get 4x bandwidth you need a pci-e adapter.

I spurge and went with the Aquacomputer kryoM.2 evo for about $35.

Last edited:
I can almost guarantee a Samsung 950 Pro would boot from a PCIe adapter as it had an oprom to boot for non-UEFI bioses. My old X58 Sabertooth would run fine with one albeit limited to PCIe 2.0 speeds.

However, for more recent NVMe drives...I would think that if the board has a UEFI bios and can boot off of the onboard m.2 slot with a non-SATA (e.g. NVMe) device, the PCIe adapter should work.

i hope you run it without those heat trappers. :eek:

Heat trapper?

The adapter is mainly a heatsink and it actually dropped the temps significantly for the Adata SX8200 I put in it. It is pretty insane how the temps are never above 25C while at full load during writing or reading. Without the adapter, it was reaching 65C+ and the controller was throttling itself below 3000 MB/s.

Just the name aquacomputer alone says enough about the quality.

Edit: Update with correct temps after running a test with crystal disk mark.

Last edited:
Nope, I don't think so. I have a Z97 board with m.2 slot onboard (ASRock Z97 Extreme 6) and it boots ok, however.
This advice was under the impression his board didn't have an m.2 slot, and he was going to use one of those cheap $15 m.2 to pci-e adapters. If those things are not true, then ...maybe :)

If you say so. First I've ever heard of aquacomputer, but I've only been building computers for 20 years.

They're a very reputable brand. However, they're more known for their quality watercooling components then anything else. Either way, they make some pretty darn good stuff.

Back