Murdered my GPU I think - suggestions

y0bailey

Gawd
Alright...this is a first for me, and I'm a long-ish time system builder. This is a rig upgrade for a friend, and he doesn't have many spare parts to help me test.

GPU in question - R9 380
Issue - Near immediate crash any 3d game. Fine for 2d browsing, etc.

The story - upgrading old Phenom II x4 build to Ryzen 1600 build. He already had the R9 380 in his old rig, so this was a transfer over. It was working fine in his old rig for gaming/etc. The rest of the components are new. After completing the build up, downloading steam, and firing up the first game, near immediately crash. Black screen, reboot. No BSOD, no game error. Just blackness/reboot. Tried Heaven benchmark, same result. I went through all the connections with him via video chat, he had it correct.

So, here is the kicker...it is now doing the same thing on his old rig! Basically I just told him "something is messed up, let's confirm the GPU is still working in the old rig." It didn't. Same immediate crash as the new rig with 3d gaming. He didn't mess with any drivers, install a different video card, etc.

I haven't had a video card go "3d bad" before. The fan is still spinning, we have tested with 2 power supplies just in case one went bad. He just bought a new video card (AMD 580), plopped it in the new rig and is happily gaming.

Luckily, he still has a warranty on the 380...but if anyone has some genius ideas, let me know. I was hoping there was a "BIOS SWITCH" but his model doesn't have the option.

Electrostatic shock murdered it when he moved it over?..but why is it fine for 2d applications!? I'm losing my mind.

Had a similar problem on a new gfx card a bought many years ago. One or more of the VRMs were bad (or at least something near that area went bad) and was causing the over current protection to trip on my PSU once it was put under load.

It took me a few times to figure out what was wrong but by the 6th time I had figured it out, the smoke pouring from the card also helped....

I have a geforce 560 GTX that does about the same thing. works fine in a 2d environment, the moment 3d kicks in it crashes. It does seem really odd that it happened around the time of swap though

Sanity check from the voice of experience, are you remembering to reconnect external power to the card after swapping it around? If you don't working at boot/the desktop but an immediate gaming crash is a possible outcome with some cards. Others will just fail to post.

(Yes this means I've made that mistake more than once. :eggface:)

I wish it were that easy.
Sanity check from the voice of experience, are you remembering to reconnect external power to the card after swapping it around? If you don't working at boot/the desktop but an immediate gaming crash is a possible outcome with some cards. Others will just fail to post.

(Yes this means I've made that mistake more than once. :eggface:)

sounds like a failing card tbh......i would jack up the gpu voltage and see what effect it has. heck sometimes even the driver has the voltage wrong these days.....load up afterburner and try adjusting with it.

ELECTRO-STATIC (ESD) is a killer for sure, especially in dry climates. Few use a wrist strap, instead preferring to touch something metal on the PC case and then they do what? They let go of the case and go about their handling of CPU's, cards, etc. Dun do that. Many doing so is one of the main reasons I won't buy Used on ebay. But here at [H] it's likely that most if not all of us handle stuff proper-like so if you need a GPU, CPU or mobo check out the [H]ardForum For Sale thread

Back