Mumble Vs. Vent and thoughts

Moonzi

Limp Gawd
My buddy and I are starting a host service for Mumble. Was curious what everyone thought so far:

https://www.mumbleserverhost.com/

I used Vent for years with WoW but Mumble seems leaps and bounds better to me. Playing Rift and FPS with the noise cancellation and amplitude set for voice activation it's a lot more customizable. Looking for both positive and negative feedback and general debate on this.

Well. Im a big fan of Mumble for many reasons. We also tried using it for our WoW guild, and for raiding, but the issue always came back to everyone having Vent, especially when we were pugging in a RAID or pugging in some other game. So eventually we cracked and went back to Vent just for the convenience of accessibility for everyone. Tokens for some unknown reason seem to be a foreign idea to the lay user and always caused issues.

I personally didnt think any superior portion of mumble outweighed the ease of use and proliferation that Ventrilo has in gaming. Thats my two cents.

The problem is, Vent (and TeamSpeak) is entrenched and people are comfortable with it's quirks. Any new service is going to struggle to win over people. In order to win over a lot of people, Mumble will need to be a vast improvement over Vent and TeamSpeak. It really looks to be too similar to win market share in any volume.

Very valid points, I unfortunately still have vent installed for that exact reason.

My last guild before I quit wow again used Mumble. It seemed great to me. But like most people, I kept the mumble, TS, and Vent clients all installed in case you got into a pug or something that was using the others.

i definitely prefer mumble.. started using it about 4-5 months ago and deleted TS3 and vent around the same time. the on screen overlay built into mumble with a FPS counter is friggin nice. i no longer have a need to use the annoying yellow fps counter on fraps.

I like the overlay too, it seems that it's not supported with directx 11 yet (I think) which is a bummer (and better be fixed soon), but I just make my games use 10. With FPS I love the overlay to know who's talking an calling out targets. Same with pvp and raids in WoW.

My CS team has been using mumble for roughly a year and a half now and we love it. The latency is much lower than Vent if configured properly and the sound quality difference is minimal at best.

Administration of a Murmur server isn't as user friendly as vent but it's just as verbose. Linux ftw~

I've been using mumble for the last 3-4 months having only ever used Vent v2x or TS2/3 before.

I still don't think it's as good as Vent 2.x, and I've not tried Vent 3. It doesn't do anything Vent couldn't, and I've no need for an overlay. I don't often play with people I don't know anyway. As for the audio attenuation - my sound card's been doing that for longer than Mumble's been in development.

In fact, the only (noticeable) thing Mumble seems to have over Vent is the ability to set an avatar, which means in a big server you get a lot of big retarded meme images pop up as you move your mouse around. Big deal.

It's a fine program, but I don't feel any attachment to it. I'd definitely rank it above TS3, but below Vent.

I started using mumble in nov 09 and haven't gone back since. I liked mohawk much more but nobody really followed that bandwagon so I've stuck with mumble.

For me it's just the latency reduction and price that keep me with it..the other features don't do much for me and quite frankly I miss the vent UI and sounds but it's a worthwhile trade off

I am a huge fan of Mumble. Vent and TS are very firmly entrenched, but over the last few months I feel like momentum is getting more and more people over to Mumble. Most people I play Starcraft 2 and LoL with have ditched Vent and TS for Mumble over the last 6-12 months. There are usually 15-20 of us on a friend's Mumble server in various channels, so yeah.

I really like how simplified it is over other voice applications, works great. I still keep Vent and TS around "just in case" for people that don't have Mumble, but afterwards I'm always telling them to download it. :)

Yeah the price and latency was why I got the guild and now friends who play Rift\BFBC2 to switch.

I got Mumble last year to play LoL with someone from the forums here, and I had a very annoying background noise on occasion that I couldn't ever figure out how to fix. I uninstalled it and went back to Vent because of that. Vent was a lot easier to setup too from what I remember.

The way I see it is the over all cost. I had a 10 man vent server with a 1 year discount and a 15 man mumble month to month was roughly the same price. I think a lot of guys the who pay the bill for voice servers will see that and make the switch.

I've used it in pug WoW raids, but I would not want to explain certificates to some dumbass screenlicking faceroller.

Oh yeah, I do have some more issues with Mumble than I've had with the others. It fucks up my audio input every time I start it up so I have to change it and then change it back each time. It's done this through a couple of installs and windows installations, with various mics.

Just switch to mumble officially one month ago.sound quality is decent.latency is where its at.esp in an fps game the vent lag gets you killed,with mumble minimal lag when talking to someone.my only complaint is fine tuuning the server side of things.it can be finicky at times.

Does anyone have a php block code to show who's online like vent has?

I thought you could use Vent with a Mumble server?

I know I was connecting to a Vent server with Mumble and thought you could do it vice versa?

I'm definitely going to look into that phase, I've never heard it before.

Last edited:
I prefer Mumble but I've had intermittent problems requiring me to reload the plugins, due to no in-game sound.
I really like the on screen overlay that lights up when somebody speaks. It's handy when you are playing on a server where you only know a few people. It can also help cut down on people talking at the same time.

My friend and I compared the latency with Mumble, TS3 and Ventrilo while talking on a phone.
Mumble had no delay, TS3 was very slight and Ventrilo was very noticeable.
Most of the people I game with are using TeamSpeak 3.

We've had problems in the past where if somebody is talking and a new person speaks, everybody only hears the new person and not the original speaker.
I would imagine this isn't a problem anymore if people don't limit the bandwidth too much.

Does anybody know the maximum amount of users each voice application supports?

Serious pvpers in WoW have been switching to Mumble or Skype for the shorter delays. Whole raiding guilds have started switching to Mumble, which is an impressive feat to convince that many people to make a change.

Nationvoice is going to offer Mumble and TS3 very soon. Soon as it's up, I'm switching my group's server to Mumble.

Some views I have on Mumble:

Pro's
-free 100 slot server to host yourself
-tremendously short transmit/receive delay
-somewhat configurable layout
-chat to one person or one channel
-game overlays of people in chat room and current speaker highlights

Con's
-game overlays conflict with punkbuster
-cant customize other users volumes individually
-cumbersome server interface
-certificate authority complexity
-muting status viewable to others logged on

The big pro I see with mumble is that it's open source. Since I've gotten out of MMOs and a lot of online play I haven't used it yet, but I would just for that reason.

Anyway, my question about it is this:

Can you setup heirarchies of chat?

i.e.

Squad Leader 1(channel 0 & 1)
Joe(channel 1)
Joe 2 (channel 1)
etc.

Squad Leader 2 (channel 0 & 2)
Joe (channel 2)
Joe 2 (channel 2)

That way the chain of command can efficiently talk to who they need to talk to without switching channels. It's probably possible with vent, I just never got around to looking into how.

TS3 FTW. Beats Vents ass. Most people who bash TS3 haven't used TeamSpeak since version 2. TS2 sucks, TS3 pwnz! Options galore, Bitchin interface, Sound Quality matches Vent.

The sound quality is better in mumble though. @Andrew_Carr there's an ability in vent to create binds with certain people, so when you click the button you are only talking to those people. Is that what you're referring to?

I used Vent for years with WoW but Mumble seems leaps and bounds better to me. Playing Rift and FPS with the noise cancellation and amplitude set for voice activation it's a lot more customizable. Looking for both positive and negative feedback and general debate on this.

I have nothing good to say about mumble but I am jaded, bitter, and biased, so I'll keep it to myself other than saying that voice activated voice comms would get the player removed from the guild/clan/corp in any of the ones I have been playing in. Also, sound quality is a matter of codec used for any of the voice comm software out there. Inability to customize individual user volumes makes mumble a loser regardless of anything else.

I have nothing good to say about mumble but I am jaded, bitter, and biased, so I'll keep it to myself other than saying that voice activated voice comms would get the player removed from the guild/clan/corp in any of the ones I have been playing in.

Why, exactly? As long as it's set up reasonably well, it should be a slight benefit to the player compared to PTT, with no real issues for the others in the channel.
We've got a few people using it, and the only issues we've had over the years are a couple of surprising sneezes.

Vent's interface is so much better than mumble and that's why I prefer it. There really isn't any difference beyond that.

Our guild switched to using mumble. It wasn't really a problem since we do not pug and are well organized.

Mumble so far seems superior. The latency is superior, the volume issues are gone, people are always the correct volume.

I was also new to the guild and the overlay helped me immensely when learning new voices.

I think mumble is the future and is doing things right.

I have nothing good to say about mumble but I am jaded, bitter, and biased, so I'll keep it to myself other than saying that voice activated voice comms would get the player removed from the guild/clan/corp in any of the ones I have been playing in. Also, sound quality is a matter of codec used for any of the voice comm software out there. Inability to customize individual user volumes makes mumble a loser regardless of anything else.

You can set Mumble to push to talk. The inability to customize the individuals user volumes can be a problem, although it's a pain having to change individual volumes for everybody. They should set their volume correctly themselves so eveybody on the server doesn't have to.

i haven't messed with mumble since it came out originally I really liked it. but the small group I played with was constantly switching they are currently using Skype and another group uses Axon.

I like vent and how it supports the Logitech LCD displays.
With TS there was 3rd part addons to use the Logitech LCD displays.

Vent is the simple solution. Everybody has it, eveybody knows it.
Mumble is a prime example of unused greatness. There are so many features that could be tapped into, but nobody knows about these features or bothers with them.

BF2 Project reality comes to mind. Most servers highly recommend, or require mumble use. PR has a central mumble server with rooms for every registered server out there. 64 player servers will often have +55 players on a mumble. Sounds like mayhem right? Everybody talking at the same time and hardly useful when its 64 players at a time.. well, they use a mumble feature that makes it so you only hear people who are around you. Its completely positional. If somebody is behind you 10 yards, and he talks, you can hear it like somebody was standing 10 yards behind you. If you have somebody close to you on your right and left, mumble projects their voice correctly. If somebody is 100 yards away and talks on mumble, it wont play his voice to your client. You can easily have conversations with people in game and know exactly who you are talking to just by the natural positioning of the audio. If they can implement features like this in other games, it wont be long before mumble is king. Imagine jumping in a tank in game, and talking with the driver to coordinate where you are going and targets that come up. Imagine being in a transport chopper having a squad jump in and tell you exactly where to drop you off without having to deal with 100s of people yapping in the channel. It makes other voice interfaces seem broken.

Vent is the simple solution. Everybody has it, eveybody knows it.
Mumble is a prime example of unused greatness. There are so many features that could be tapped into, but nobody knows about these features or bothers with them.

BF2 Project reality comes to mind. Most servers highly recommend, or require mumble use. PR has a central mumble server with rooms for every registered server out there. 64 player servers will often have +55 players on a mumble. Sounds like mayhem right? Everybody talking at the same time and hardly useful when its 64 players at a time.. well, they use a mumble feature that makes it so you only hear people who are around you. Its completely positional. If somebody is behind you 10 yards, and he talks, you can hear it like somebody was standing 10 yards behind you. If you have somebody close to you on your right and left, mumble projects their voice correctly. If somebody is 100 yards away and talks on mumble, it wont play his voice to your client. You can easily have conversations with people in game and know exactly who you are talking to just by the natural positioning of the audio. If they can implement features like this in other games, it wont be long before mumble is king. Imagine jumping in a tank in game, and talking with the driver to coordinate where you are going and targets that come up. Imagine being in a transport chopper having a squad jump in and tell you exactly where to drop you off without having to deal with 100s of people yapping in the channel. It makes other voice interfaces seem broken.

That's awesome and all but what happens when I want to yell to the guy 100 yards away?

That's awesome and all but what happens when I want to yell to the guy 100 yards away?

There's an all chat button. So one button that is used for positional, one for all chat, and one for squad leaders and the commander. Also to answer the question about heiarchy, yes, you can set up mumble to do that.

theres various settings you can use to play with it to set it up the way you want. you can set minimum distance(1m), maximum distance(100m) then you can set the minimum volume so you can still hear the guy 100m away(if i'm not mistaken after 100m everyone is set to that minimum volume but never really tested it with more then a few people on the server at the time).. i use it but just depends on what i'm doing.. if i'm sniping or flying i turn it off. if i'm just running around with a squad i turn it on so if some one calls out for support i know where they are in the game based on their voice location instead of having to ask them where they are.

I used TS and Vent for years, then I stumbled upon mumble hands down amazin, easy, again just fantastic.

As a WoW player and part of a raiding guild, I swear by Mumble. The overlay alone is worth it IMO, but its also much clearer and quicker than Vent is, at least in my own experience. I don't think I could ever go back to Vent.

yep since i actually usually hate voice chat, being one of the old school off my lawn gamers who remembers having to type in game.

that said i finally got dragged into using mumble and now use it exclusively, its really the way to go.
I get a chuckle every time someone joins our raid and throws a bitchfit because we aren't using vent. It's worth it just for that.

The sound quality is better in mumble though. @Andrew_Carr there's an ability in vent to create binds with certain people, so when you click the button you are only talking to those people. Is that what you're referring to?

I'm thinking more along the lines of sub-channels. So in your 40 man raids or 64 player BF2 servers you can have people easily talking in different channels without tabbing out of the game to switch.

That way the leadership can talk to each other and move squads/groups around, but the group leaders can still talk to their individual squad/group members with a different keybinding.

For example, the leader uses F1 to talk to his leaders and F2 to talk to everyone. The squad leader could then use F1 to respond to his leader or F2 to talk to his whole squad.

This would cut down a lot on clutter. Not really necessary for smaller groups, but it'd really help communication in large groups.

[Edit:] @ Iloose - sweet, that's good news. Whenever I bother to get competitive in games again I'll have to download mumble.

Silly question time. Does mumble have a sexy female narrator like TS?

------------------------------------

That positional audio sounds great. I hope they implement that sort of game integration with hierarchical channels. So when you join a 5 man in game X, mumble will recognize that and put you in a channel with them(perhaps F3 or w/e would be your bind for talking to Current_Game_Squad)

Last edited:
Back