MultiSync FP1350X 22" CRT accepts both analog and digital signals

cesarioFL71

Limp Gawd
Nov 28 2000

" ITASCA, ILL. – NEC-Mitsubishi Electronics Display of America Inc.'s MultiSync FP1350X is the first NEC-branded CRT-based desktop monitor designed for near universal digital and analog support. Using NEC's Ambix technology, the 22-inch flat professional-level NEC MultiSync FP1350X accepts digital or analog input through a DVI-I connection. It also provides a second analog input with a traditional 15-pin VGA connector.

With a 20-inch viewable image area and a maximum resolution of 1,920 x 1,440 pixels at 76 Hz, the MultiSync desktop monitor is suitable for high-end graphics users including designers, architects, publishers and programmers.

In addition, the monitor offers a horizontal scan range of 31 kHz to 115 kHz, a vertical scan range of 55 Hz to 160 Hz and incorporates advanced image controls to allow complete control over the monitor's entire image surface. The newest model in NEC's family of Flat Professional CRT displays promises to be a long-term investment as users continue to adopt new digital standards, the company said. With direct digital connection to the computer, the loss of signals that are characteristic of digital-to-analog conversions are minimized, according to NEC-Mitsubishi. "

Just picked this unit up as an early Christmas present to myself. :) I love the NEC/Mitsubishi brand of crt monitors and this one is a gem I overlooked back in the day. A look at the spec sheet details the limits of the digital resolutions she'll accept. I intend to give her a private corner of my game room where she'll be paired with a GTX 980ti and a I9 10850k where she'll play PC games from 2007-2015 era. OLED? Nah! I'll keep my crt! :)
s-l1600 (1).jpg
s-l1600 (2).jpg

View attachment 529114
s-l1600 (2).jpg
View attachment 529116

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    191.4 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Would be neat to see if HDMI VRR works on this natively (via HDMI-DVI direct-wire dongle), like it works in narrow FreeSync ranges (e.g. 55-75Hz) on certain multisync CRTs via a HDMI-to-VGA adaptor.

Requires Radeon + ToastyX force-VRR trick.

Some (not all) multisync CRTs had tolerated realtime refresh-rate-variance behavior that is able to keep up with modern generic VRR, which is convertible 1:1 analog:digital at the native pixel clock.

Would be neat to see if HDMI VRR works on this natively (via HDMI-DVI direct-wire dongle), like it works in narrow FreeSync ranges (e.g. 55-75Hz) on certain multisync CRTs via a HDMI-to-VGA adaptor.

Requires Radeon + ToastyX force-VRR trick.

Some (not all) multisync CRTs had tolerated realtime refresh-rate-variance behavior that is able to keep up with modern generic VRR, which is convertible 1:1 analog:digital at the native pixel clock.
Not really my thing but if you're ever in the Tampa area Id be happy to lend her out for a weekend.

I do look forward to having the ability to run 640x480@160hz via dvi-i. Also going to make a Doom Eternal playthrough @1024x768 140hz via straight digital with no adapter required. :)

Last edited:
732171_Professional_CRT_Monitors.jpg

From 2001 MacWord revew of professional monitors at the time. Trying to find the actual review on Internet Archive. The FP1350X scored higher than the Lacie Electron Blue, The Sony G520, Vision Master Pro 510, and the Viewsonic P220f. The latter unit I have NIB in my home at this moment.
316554362_5418824118239738_1634113079758678259_n.jpg
732171_Professional_CRT_Monitors.jpg

Last edited:
My understanding is you have quite the collection of crt monitors including an FW900. :)
Had a fw900 on its last legs..... During the last day of a move in late 2020, I tore my discal bicep tendon trying to pick up large wood speaker from awkward angle, like an idiot....so my one armed helpess ass left the 90lb fw900 behind.

Now all I can do is drool in VR at the CRTs in Half Lyfe Alyx

Had a fw900 on its last legs..... During the last day of a move in late 2020, I tore my discal bicep tendon trying to pick up large wood speaker from awkward angle, like an idiot....so my one armed helpess ass left the 90lb fw900 behind.

Now all I can do is drool in VR at the CRTs in Half Lyfe Alyx
Ouch on several levels! Sorry man...

I still remember way back when when you had lowered the brightness and remarked that it looked like an oil painting. In a good way I believe. :)

I have some regrets using mine as a daily driver during WFH and burning hours on it, but my place is small. Was no way to have like a separate office and gaming room or such. Other day for a few minutes the picture started shaking a bit. Still not sure it was the computer, adapter, or the display. Was enough to freak me out. Perhaps the inevitable mortality closing in...

At least these days there's finally some FALD and OLED options with more to come. (I do hope BFI becomes a thing again with these.)

Hope everyone here's been keeping well.

Last edited:
My unit should be here before Wed or Thursday of next week. Just praying that this gem of a monitor gets here safely! These units are rare and i just want her to get here and just sit nice and snug in a corner of my game room; live the rest of her life in happy retirement just like her new owner. :)

That's quite a story! I can't imagine having to just literally walk away from an FW900. :(
It was pretty easy to walk away with a 30% torn discal tendon and nobody except my wife around to help move. Irony is I had movers to move the big stuff on day 1 and 2...day 3 was suppose to be me helping the wife pack her shoes and stuff.....but immediately when we got there I noticed movers forgot my two big wood KEF speakers, so I bear hugged the first one to my SUV.....second one was behinds some stuff I was too lazy to move, so bent over at awkward angle and ended up putting entire weight of speaker and force of lifting it on my biceps. I'm 45 years old and sometimes forget I'm not 25, but the disgusting sound of my bicept popping like a football injury cured me of wanting to recover the fw900 which had been on closet floor for months.

That particular fw900 was a C grade unit on ots last legs that I bought from recycler so not like I walked away from an uncle Vito unit

My unit should be here before Wed or Thursday of next week. Just praying that this gem of a monitor gets here safely! These units are rare and i just want her to get here and just sit nice and snug in a corner of my game room; live the rest of her life in happy retirement just like her new owner. :)
Your in Tampa? I'm in Melbourne.....I'll be on my way over lol

It was pretty easy to walk away with a 30% torn discal tendon and nobody except my wife around to help move. Irony is I had movers to move the big stuff on day 1 and 2...day 3 was suppose to be me helping the wife pack her shoes and stuff.....but immediately when we got there I noticed movers forgot my two big wood KEF speakers, so I bear hugged the first one to my SUV.....second one was behinds some stuff I was too lazy to move, so bent over at awkward angle and ended up putting entire weight of speaker and force of lifting it on my biceps. I'm 45 years old and sometimes forget I'm not 25, but the disgusting sound of my bicept popping like a football injury cured me of wanting to recover the fw900 which had been on closet floor for months.

That particular fw900 was a C grade unit on ots last legs that I bought from recycler so not like I walked away from an uncle Vito unit
Ok. That gives a little more context. Yeah...a Vito unit would have been sacrilegious and you would have been have been thrown out of the "Crt Lovers Guild". :)

Don't be so quick to forgive. I'm not a physician nor a mathematician, but it sounds like he still had 70 percent...
Yea, Dr recommended against surgery since it was only partial tear. Really sucks having to one hand whipe your ass for the next six months though....first world problem as some people have NO HANDS!

Two words for back relief: 240Hz+ OLED

Not yet CRT clarity, but far clearer motion than 360Hz IPS LCDs. Best strobeless blur reduction my eyes' seen so far, with the high sample and hold blur efficiency per Hz and virtually perfect linear followance of Blur Busters Law. For some games, 240fps 240Hz OLED seems *almost* as clear as LightBoost was (almost), but full brightness, full color camut, and shocking inky blacks. If you can do brute framerate-based motion blur reduction for your specific games, you've got the best blur efficiency per Hz and none of the CRT weight.

Preferably 1000fps 1000Hz along with optional CRT-like BFI modes, but for now 240fps 240Hz is simply awesome on OLEDs. Seen 'em and multiple models coming, laptop sized and full sized.

A minimum of three different size form factors of 240Hz OLED has been publicly announced already (laptop sized, 16:9 sized and 21:9 ultrawide sized) all hitting market 2023 -- which portends the boom of high Hz OLED.

And you can get better colors, resolution and brightness than CRT.

Yea, Dr recommended against surgery since it was only partial tear. Really sucks having to one hand whipe your ass for the next six months though....first world problem as some people have NO HANDS!
Must be a relief to be on the other side of that healing. Ouch...

Not yet CRT clarity, but far clearer motion than 360Hz IPS LCDs. Best strobeless blur reduction my eyes' seen so far, with the high sample and hold blur efficiency per Hz and virtually perfect linear followance of Blur Busters Law. For some games, 240fps 240Hz OLED seems *almost* as clear as LightBoost was (almost), but full brightness, full color camut, and shocking inky blacks. If you can do brute framerate-based motion blur reduction for your specific games, you've got the best blur efficiency per Hz and none of the CRT weight.

Preferably 1000fps 1000Hz along with optional CRT-like BFI modes, but for now 240fps 240Hz is simply awesome on OLEDs. Seen 'em and multiple models coming, laptop sized and full sized.

A minimum of three different size form factors of 240Hz OLED has been publicly announced already (laptop sized, 16:9 sized and 21:9 ultrawide sized) all hitting market 2023 -- which portends the boom of high Hz OLED.

Sounds very promising. Yeah, that's a lot of Hz to drive, but maybe with these new GPUs and the power they are bringing...

An OLED screen will eventually find it's way into my home. I just don't have an immediate need for one. :)

My body is ready!

I've been pretty impressed with G8. An oled version with HDR brightness equivalent to the Galaxy S22 ultra phone would be epic.

All we would need then is actual FPS games that don't suck or have outrageous aimbots for console tards!

Must be a relief to be on the other side of that healing. Ouch...
Yea that injury came on the tail end of recovering from a nasty bout of covid. I was impressively miserable during that time because I had to move my entire life and business a couple hundred miles and get a decent sized home, all so my wife's crackhead daughter could live with us, rent free, and get back on her feet (and we could make sure she was not beating grand child anymore).

Of course she tried to reward that kindness by orchestrating a plot to try and steal my firearms. Nothing better than being out to dinner on a Saturday night and being alerted by the hidden cameras in your gun safe room that your step daughter and crackhead boyfriend were trying to Italian Job your guns.

So yea, covid, shredded bicep, abandoned fw900, crackhead Inlaws trying to steal my guns....all I needed was my dog to run away and I'd have a hit country song!

Reactions: MaZa
like this
Crazy times. More stuff I'm sure you're happy to have in the rear view mirror.

Honestly, if BFI isn't an option then I'll pass. I don't want to have to have a beefy system just to enjoy motion clarity that was somewhat close to what I had with CRT from a decade ago. :(

Yea that injury came on the tail end of recovering from a nasty bout of covid. I was impressively miserable during that time because I had to move my entire life and business a couple hundred miles and get a decent sized home, all so my wife's crackhead daughter could live with us, rent free, and get back on her feet (and we could make sure she was not beating grand child anymore).

Of course she tried to reward that kindness by orchestrating a plot to try and steal my firearms. Nothing better than being out to dinner on a Saturday night and being alerted by the hidden cameras in your gun safe room that your step daughter and crackhead boyfriend were trying to Italian Job your guns.

So yea, covid, shredded bicep, abandoned fw900, crackhead Inlaws trying to steal my guns....all I needed was my dog to run away and I'd have a hit country song!

I am sorry for laughing but that was a funny story in a morbid way. 🤣

Anywho, I wonder ig any of these DVI CRT's accept 240p resolution? I am seriously considering hunting one down for emulation purposes. Sure I do have my Panasonic 55" OLED and there are some really fancy CRT emulation shaders like CRT-Royale and such but I kinda still want the look of a real thing, authentic scanlines and all, even if it is a "small" PC monitor in corner of my desk.

I mean, I know 320x240 resolution was common in old analog CRT dos gaming but I presume DVI does bring digital problems along with probably a list of supported resolutions and such?

*Edit* and now that I wrote this I realised it wouldn't work as expected. The only way I could get the authentic image I want is with screen expecting 480 interlaced signal fed 240 progressive resolution which causes it to skip every second line drawn. Never mind.

Last edited:

Anywho, I wonder ig any of these DVI CRT's accept 240p resolution? I am seriously considering hunting one down for emulation purposes. Sure I do have my Panasonic 55" OLED and there are some really fancy CRT emulation shaders like CRT-Royale and such but I kinda still want the look of a real thing, authentic scanlines and all, even if it is a "small" PC monitor in corner of my desk.
My unit is on the way. It officially accepts 480p digitally. I can try running 240p and report back.

I mean, I know 320x240 resolution was common in old analog CRT dos gaming but I presume DVI does bring digital problems along with probably a list of supported resolutions and such?
Most multi sync monitors’ lower limit is 31.5 kHz. 240p at 60hz is 15.7 kHz I think. I don’t remember the exact decimal but it’s basically half of 480p.

My unit is on the way. It officially accepts 480p digitally. I can try running 240p and report back.

Thanks. But I also just realised that the authentic effect requires a screen running in 480 interlaced mode even though it is receiving 240p, which causes it to skip every second drawn line. 240p on 480p just gets integer scaled like it would on normal flatscreen. I think... 🤔

Thanks. But I also just realised that the authentic effect requires a screen running in 480 interlaced mode even though it is receiving 240p, which causes it to skip every second drawn line. 240p on 480p just gets integer scaled like it would on normal flatscreen. I think... 🤔
Doubt it has a scaling chip on it. He'll probably see the same ole message that most other CRT PC monitors show - "out of range" :)

Doubt it has a scaling chip on it. He'll probably see the same ole message that most other CRT PC monitors show - "out of range" :)
If the display supports 15Khz (good old NTSC), then there is a chance.

At 15KHz, 240p and 480i is darn near identical at the signal level, with the sole exception of it being a 524i signal instead of 525i.

It's not actually skipping every other lines -- it's simply overlapping the lines by using an even-numbered vertical total, because even-numbered vertical totals are never interlaced on analog tubes -- the interlacing is overlapped because of analog CRT electronics uses the extra scanline as a analog time delay to force the offset of next 262 scanlines (240 visible) instead of overlap them.

Now, if you do a 240p by signal, make sure it's a 524 Vertical Total, and an NTSC scanrate. Make sure you're able to do 480i successfully, and then next try 240p (e.g. Linux modeline).

What would happen is if it fails to be a 1:1 analog:digital mapping, would be some kind of artifacts, like it force-interlacing, etc.

If you're stuck with 31.5KHz, then 240p won't natively work.

Honestly, if BFI isn't an option then I'll pass. I don't want to have to have a beefy system just to enjoy motion clarity that was somewhat close to what I had with CRT from a decade ago. :(
BFI can eventually be achieved in a Windows Indirect Display Driver, so that it works with all software on a PC. Hopefully an open source Windows indirect display driver harness becomes available to do these goodies.

BFI can eventually be achieved in a Windows Indirect Display Driver, so that it works with all software on a PC. Hopefully an open source Windows indirect display driver harness becomes available to do these goodies.
That would be amazing. But I would like the ability to plug it into any device and get that. Nintendo Switch for example.

Well she finally arrived after an entire day and evening of nail biting. UPS driver pulled up at 9:30pm with a big box full of crt goodness! Update: she's perfect in every way except there's a purple tint ever present that i can't get rid of. Damn shame because outside of that the image is crisp and clear.

Attachments

• 20221202_214839.jpg
    20221202_214839.jpg
    617.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_214800.jpg
    20221202_214800.jpg
    342.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_214907.jpg
    20221202_214907.jpg
    461.3 KB · Views: 0
  • 20221202_214813.jpg
    20221202_214813.jpg
    396.6 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Reactions: 3dfan
like this
👍
can it be known what have you tried to do to get rid of the purple tint?

👍
can it be known what have you tried to do to get rid of the purple tint?
There is an image restore function that failed to get rid of it. I played with the settings of the color temps, bias, gains but no effect. The tint is not present when on the desktop. It's only apparent when playing videos or games. The only other option have is to open the case and adjust the G2 pots. Perhaps G2 is too high?

Last edited:
There is an image restore function that failed to get rid of it. I played with the settings of the color temps, bias, gains but no effect. The only other option have is to open the case and adjust the G2 pots. Perhaps G2 is too high?
If none of that got rid of it then neither will G2. I haven’t read the thread (am busy right now) but will read it in a bit and then can jump in and help troubleshoot. Don’t start taking things apart and fiddling.

If none of that got rid of it then neither will G2. I haven’t read the thread (am busy right now) but will read it in a bit and then can jump in and help troubleshoot. Don’t start taking things apart and fiddling.
ok. I was thinking perhaps a gun is faulty?

Back