BGM

Limp Gawd
Hello,

I have multiple websites on a single Windows2003 server:

that can be accessed from the outside world at:

site1.address.com
site2.address.com
site3.address.com

these three addresses have three unique IP address, however the server only has the one (obviously)

currently i am using host headers to translate the address to the relevant site, but some people in my company that are in deepest darkest middle east need to use the IP address of the URL, and this obviosuly isnt working

How can i get around this?

regards

Chris

Host-based virtual hosting uses the same IP with different hostnames to have more than one site-per-IP. If you need to have multiple sites without hostnames, you need multiple IPs.

ok, so where in IIS can i assign another IP to a website..

do i just type any old number in, say incremementing by one, and then forward requests from ip X to that ip?

do i need to set anything else up in IIS ?

bump.. any ideas?

just to clarify i have 3 addresses with their own IPs that get routed to a single server, and pages show fine when the url is used, but not when the IP that the same URL resolves to is used..

im using windows 2003 and IIS to serve

regards

I've never used Windows & IIS for a server, but I've done the setup with FreeBSD & Apache (UN*X variants usually support multiple IP's on a single server though), and it's called IP-based virtual hosting, maybe that'll help you out.

Maybe Ill try it later tonight, but thinking about it, in IIS, for the web site "Site1", it says what IP it listens on, can you change that from "all available" (or something like that) to an IP and then set a different IP for each of the other sites?

Maybe under TCP/IP settings on the NIC card, you can specify additional IP's (too late for me right now though to think about it enough!)

hmm... ok, ill take a look when i get to work on monday

thanks

Here's what to do:

- Go to the Network Connections > (Your NIC) > Right Click > Properties
- Click TCP/IP > Click Properties
- Click Advanced
- Under IP Addresses > Add the new IPs
(From memory)
- Go to IIS Manager > Right click the virtual server (site) > Click Properties
- One of the tabs should have a drop down that says All Available IP Addresses
- Select a unique IP for each one

Best security practices are to have a unique IP for each virtual server, and to use host headers.

cool, do i need to assign a new internal IP and forward the request to it?

or can i assign the external IP to the NIC ?

cheers for your help so far!!

You have to use an IP on the same subent as the original. So, yes it will need to be an internal IP. (depending on how your network is configured) Then, if you have a firewall, you can set up an external IP and forward to the internal IP.

Back