Multiple Steam Accounts on 1 PC

pigwalk

[H]F Junkie
Hey guys, I have one login here, and another friend that'll be stopping by the house for a few days. If he jumps onto Steam and logs on as himself, will he have to re-download games I already have installed?

Example, I installed Steam on my Wife's PC and I'm installed L4D on it to see how it runs. Once he gets here, will he have to re-dl L4D again, or will it just use the files loaded on there already?

Whiel we're at it, L4D on a 7600gt? Low Mid settings?

Not sure if he'll have to reinstall, but if it wants to, you could logon your account, "backup" the game and then restore in his account.

as far as I know, if you have a game installed that you both share, he wont have to redownload it. If one of you has games the other doesnt, it will just not be available on the other account, and may prompt you to login on the other account if you tried playing one.

No, it will not re-download the game. It will use what's already there. For example, my son has TF2 and L4D on his PC under his account name. I only have TF2 under my account name (we have 2 separate copies). But I logged in with his account on my PC and installed L4D. When I'm logged onto Steam on my PC with my name, it only shows TF2 installed. But if I log into Steam on my PC with his name, it shows both TF2 and L4D installed.

My wife and I have steam accounts on my computer. I copy what other posters have said. Your buddy won't have to dload. But that brings up the question: why do you have a gaming buddy coming over and not have a spare computer he can use for a mini LAN?:)

Using the wifes PC for him. Honestly it's a step up. Her machine is a E2200 w/7600gt, and his "gaming" machine is a S754 A64 3400 with a 6600gt agp, so he's better off just leaving his big hunking POS at home anyway.

(psst, yes he's almost 30 and lives with his dad and hasn't worked this decade)

Make him take out the trash and do the dishes for using your wife's computer. :)

I have two accounts, one that is mine and another my buddy gave me. I shouldn't have to reinstall the game on the same pc/hdd.

Back