Multiple Machine Windows Image

SoniCraze

Limp Gawd
or whatever its called.

Basically were livin in the dark ages in alot of ways, upuntill about 2 years ago we still built all our own office machines, so the thought of a image with all our software and everything already installed was out of the question. However since then we have been buying dells', and since almost all of em are identical ive been thinkin about doin this. We have about 400 desktops, so sometimes i get a bit overloaded with window reinstalls the old fashion way.

If anyone could even tell me what this is even called so i can google it that would help... i just cant find anything.

uuuummmm... It sounds like you want to use the same install CD on multiple machines that would install the same software and drivers on all of them. If that's the case, then making an unattended cd would deffinately do the trick, assuming you're running XP with corporate licenses, otherwise, the unattended cd would work but you'd make it so you can enter the cd key during installation (UnattendMode = DefaultHide). An unattended cd paired with nLite is an extremely useful solution.

Hopefully that's what you were looking for.

If you use symantec ghost you can set up one machine...create an image of it...partition tables and all and then all you do i plop the ghost boot cd in the drive and insert cds as it asks for them creating an identical copy of the original machines harddisk on the new machine.

If you image a pretty generic machine you can usually get away by using the image on multiple machines just making sure you boot to safe mode and let it find the new hardware the first time you boot.

hope that helps...

-dx2

djnes said:
Ghost + Sysprep = teh win!
QFT.

The basic process is to setup the PC as you want, install all software that is licensed for company-wide use, run sysprep, take the image. If you have any specific Qs fire away.

I have a sysprep related qestion.. what are the general options you want to select when running sysprep. so as to not copy drivers and sid's and stuff to that extent.. I have only used the sysprep utility once (with no luck) and the documentation isnt that great that comes with it as far as explaining each function. so I guess just doing a basic sysprep of your own machine to make an image what would be the correct steps and selections to use.. thanks....I know I can put a awnser file in my sysprep folder so as to avoid the mini setup wizard but what other steps should one take I guess is what Im asking for just running sysprep on a home machine..

Phoenix86 said:

thanks for the link .. been to it before but not really awnsers Im looking for.. whats with nosidgen parameter.. is this something I want to use when just imaging a home system. or the pnp option.. do I want to use this if deploying to several closely matched machines.. I have read and heard many good things about sysprep utility but does it really live up to whats said about it. I myself have never figured it out totally.. Im looking for a basic step by step or options to choose and take when just imaging a home pc.. Is there anyone that uses this on tool on a frequent basis that can give me this insight. I myself have never had any luck using the tool and would love to figure it out..Microsofts documentation dosent do anything but confuse a person or give a general idea on how something works, I even took xp certification class and went over this subject but like I said microsoft book we had didnt provide whole lot of info or tutorials on using this tool. It sounds great but is it,, and if so how do I use it,.lol.. thanks,,

Well you need to get a little more specific if you want us to tell you what switches to throw.

nosidgen tell sysprep to not to regenerate the SID, which is done by default so each PC doesn't have the same SID.

See my sysprep related thread here.

Run Sysprep.exe

Select Mini-Setup, PnP, and then Reseal. Your PC should shut down when complete.

You would want to take the image after running these steps in sysprep.

Phoenix86 said:
Well you need to get a little more specific if you want us to tell you what switches to throw.

nosidgen tell sysprep to not to regenerate the SID, which is done by default so each PC doesn't have the same SID.

See my sysprep related thread here.

Run Sysprep.exe

Select Mini-Setup, PnP, and then Reseal. Your PC should shut down when complete.

You would want to take the image after running these steps in sysprep.

thanks ... thats what I was looking for.... sorry for not being as specific...

nomak said:
thanks ... thats what I was looking for.... sorry for not being as specific...

ok did as you said with the sysprep options, then booted up to ghost floppy and it was version 2003 had disk and partition options to create the image. only problem I was having is..

first question does this not work with ntfs partitions and only fat32

next it would only let me write the image to A: or my cd or dvd burner..

where did I go wrong... thanks....

You're gonna want a ghostcast server if you've got that many machines. I think that only comes with the corporate edition of Ghost. If you set up a Ghostcast server you can push images to a central server throught the network & then have it multicast/broadcast them back out to multiple clients.

...asuming that you've built your boot disk with the correct network drivers for the client. Since you're still using old dos-mode drivers, there can be some voodoo involved here.

ameoba said:
You're gonna want a ghostcast server if you've got that many machines. I think that only comes with the corporate edition of Ghost. If you set up a Ghostcast server you can push images to a central server throught the network & then have it multicast/broadcast them back out to multiple clients.

...asuming that you've built your boot disk with the correct network drivers for the client. Since you're still using old dos-mode drivers, there can be some voodoo involved here.

just trying to make a Image of my machine is all... not for mass deployment. problem is that I only have one HDD and cant see my network.I guess Im gonna have to put ghost and a netbootdisk on to a cd and make it bootable cause all this isnt going to fit on a floppy...

I use acronis true image and does it all through windows not sysprep involved and works like a charm.. and Im sure norton does as well so why do all this through dos I guess is my question.. I just doing it so I know how...trying to learn something here.. but thanks,,,

nomak said:
first question does this not work with ntfs partitions and only fat32
It works with NTFS and FAT32.

next it would only let me write the image to A: or my cd or dvd burner..
Where are you trying to save the disk, the network? If so you need to make a network boot disk from ghost.
Link

yeah just trying to save it anywhere really but it wont allow me to write to a DVD and I dont want a image spanned across 4 cds so my next alternative is a network share... as far as the network boot disk all I have is the ghost exe file itself and added it to a floppy with the command.com, I/O.sys and the msdos.sys files on it so as to make it bootable.. so Im guessing Im pretty much out of luck.. I just want to have the know how of doing it it in dos as to hot imaging the drive in windows..thanks,,,

Heh, I didn't notice this was a thread hijack, sorry OP.

nomak, if you own the software you can do what I linked to, if not, well we really can't help you here. Read between the lines.

didnt hi jack the thread you posted this previously in this thread..

The basic process is to setup the PC as you want, install all software that is licensed for company-wide use, run sysprep, take the image. If you have any specific Qs fire away.

I had a question so I asked.. so then I get flamed for hijacking and then smart remarks about owning software or not.. no i dont own the software.. I was let borrow the disk as to experiment for my own learning purposes. that is why I have only the ghost.exe file only..and well its not working so the floppy is pretty much useless to me to try and learn something so guess what .. files gets deleted for it is of no use to me..If I do want the whole package I will buy it.......simple as that...

nomak said:
so then I get flamed for hijacking
I was letting the OP know I'm still here for their questions, it was their thread. It's kinda turned into "your" thread, thus the hijack comments.

I didn't flame you, you have no idea what flamming is if you think that's a flame. Calm down Beavis.

and then smart remarks about owning software or not.. no i dont own the software.
Let me know when you do, I can help more then. The forum doesn't allow discussions for pirated software. If you just want to learn, buy it. Sorry that's how it has to be due to licensing restrictions, laws and forum rules.

Fact is, my comments about you not owning the software are valid. YOU CAN'T DO WHAT I'M TELLING YOU W/O THE FULL INSTALL.

Phoenix86 said:
I was letting the OP know I'm still here for their questions, it was their thread. It's kinda turned into "your" thread, thus the hijack comments.

I didn't flame you, you have no idea what flamming is if you think that's a flame. Calm down Beavis.

Let me know when you do, I can help more then. The forum doesn't allow discussions for pirated software. If you just want to learn, buy it. Sorry that's how it has to be due to licensing restrictions, laws and forum rules.

Fact is, my comments about you not owning the software are valid. YOU CAN'T DO WHAT I'M TELLING YOU W/O THE FULL INSTALL.

Im calm now..... ;) sorry... and now I realize I cant do what I was wanting without the full version of the software... I have personally never used it so I didnt know. looks like Im off to newegg see how much I can get a copy for...

nomak said:
Im calm now..... ;) sorry... and now I realize I cant do what I was wanting without the full version of the software... I have personally never used it so I didnt know. looks like Im off to newegg see how much I can get a copy for...
Good, because I had to re-type my previous post about 3 times before it was flame-free. ;)

Check back when you get the software, there is a boot disk wizard once you have it installed.

Remember, you don't necessarly want to install the ghost server on the PC your imaging... Install it elsewhere to make the boot disk.

Back