Multiple Ip's on DSL

tgray96

[H]ard|Gawd
I need 2 static ips on my dsl account, i was sure it was possible, anybody else care to share? I have been getting messages back, making me sound like a dumbass....

Typically they can either give your one static IP or a block of eight with five usable. Cable modem companies can usually do multiple IPs but they sometimes can't support multiple IPs NATed from the same firewall. Like you would need to plug your cable modem into a public switch and then have two firewalls or a firewall and a server plugged into it. At least that's been my experience.

Why do you need two public IPs? Can you try port-forwarding?

Typically they can either give your one static IP or a block of eight with five usable. Cable modem companies can usually do multiple IPs but they sometimes can't support multiple IPs NATed from the same firewall. Like you would need to plug your cable modem into a public switch and then have two firewalls or a firewall and a server plugged into it. At least that's been my experience.

Why do you need two public IPs? Can you try port-forwarding?

he's trying to setup a web server / hosting box on a *UNDERPOWERED* unit the software he is running says he should have 2 ip's.

setup the webserver and forward port 80 (HTTP) and 443 (HTTPS)

thats what i said to do,

He is running a 2008r2 server, i said enable hyperv roll, install the server inside hyperv, add tons of ram and be done with it. :)

Told him to buy a new server but hes, on a budget, would be better if he just bought tons of ram, I can't remember if his box is dual core or not, but a dc box with tos of ram will be perfect for him.

Just because a box has tons of ram doesn't mean it will be perfect for anything. Hyper-V does nothing to benefit the setup if there is only a single webserver requirement.

Anyway, why do you need two public IPs? Perhaps the software wants two IPs on the internal NIC to run different applications off of? I've seen that before. Web servers with several internal IPs that are then NATed to several different external IPs.

The question is what type of IPs? You can have a hundred ips. Use virtual machine. But you will have one external ip

I'd ask your ISP just to make sure you are allowed to run a webserver, and that you are allowed to pull two IPs. You can ask for static and they should be able to do it but might charge more.

My ISP allows to pull two IPs so if I want I can plug another device into my internet switch (switch hooked up straight to modem) and get another outside IP.

And do you NEED these to be outside? If not then just use local IPs within your network.

websitepanel.net , i cant add more than 1 more gig of ram, and i am on a tiny budget, it a single core, how is it underpowered? i mean minus the fact it only has a gig of ram, it has like a 2 and a half ghz proc........... Not like im intending to run a server for millions of people yo use daily, shit....

heres the requirement:
Dedicated IP Addresses

If you are planning to host and manage DNS and mail software on your server, you should have at least two dedicated IP addresses that point to your server. In case you install and configure everything using only one IP address you'll get incorrect DNS zones and mail exchangers.

yes i can run a server, i am on a buisiness acct. but my isp told me with dsl it was impossible, i know otherwise....

thing is if it was just me using the server, id be ok with just installing apache or iis, and be done with it, but i have a few other people who will be using this, i also need to setup nameservers..

thing is if it was just me using the server, id be ok with just installing apache or iis, and be done with it, but i have a few other people who will be using this, i also need to setup nameservers..

like i siad on msn, with your server running 2008r2 and 1 gig ram, WOW, this machine is going to be taxed.

name servers on home DSL?

I think your ISP will not be very happy. You are correrct, for names servers you do need 2 dedicated IPs.

NAmes servers do generate quite a bit of traffic though.

i talked to them, i was told that was fine, and as i said:
yes i can run a server, i am on a buisiness acct.
i dont have to run windows server 08, we were talkin about centos, i can install that kloxo admin panel...

75ssl connections per second. Think about a ssl accelerator it increases it to 800 a second

i talked to comcast 2, they apprently dont support it either

Comcast definitely allows multiple IPs...on their business accounts. I have lots of clients where I am using multiple IPs....and with Comcast it's quite easy, if you have a business grade router/firewall that supports multiple aliases on the WAN interface.

With DSL...having multiple IPs..you generally need to get a higher grade modem, the "basic/entry level" modems that most DSL ISPs give to "home" and "dynamic" users usually won't support it.

At our office we have multiple cable and DSL static IPs...all connected to our Untangle unit.

You're running a DNS server why?

Why does this all sound very "off the books" to me?

Pay Godaddy or someone else to do the DNS resolution for your situation. Seriously, save yourself the headache, as it sounds to me like you're stepping into a pool you're not 100% sure of, and you are already failing to listen to recommendations from people that are trying to help steer you in the right direction.

In other words. Its time for a dose of reality, if you aren't going to accept it, then prepare to suffer the consequences of your actions and inactions. Running 2K8 (even if its core) is kinda tough on 1GB.

didnt i mention that i could switch to linux? jesus,i just asked if if it was possible to pull multiple ip address's from my dsl provider, i do have a business account,

didnt i mention that i could switch to linux? jesus,i just asked if if it was possible to pull multiple ip address's from my dsl provider, i do have a business account,

Well, no, you didn't. And we have no idea if you can "pull multiple IP addresses from from your DSL provider" as we don't know who your provider is and you haven't told us what type of plan you signed up for other than "business". Are you setup with a static IP or are you doing some ghetto solution with DynDNS and a dynamic address from your ISP?

pretty sure centurylink is my dsl provider, and pretty sure centos is linux? did i miss something with those two? Didn't think so....

Okay, so why do you need two public IPs? Are these being NATed to the same server? I doubt you would need to buy a new DSL modem.

websitepanel.net , i cant add more than 1 more gig of ram, and i am on a tiny budget, it a single core, how is it underpowered? i mean minus the fact it only has a gig of ram, it has like a 2 and a half ghz proc........... Not like im intending to run a server for millions of people yo use daily, shit....

Regardless of how much work your processor can do, you still need ram to do work with. Its like digging a hole with a slim narrow shovel blade on a shovel. More RAM the better.

heres the requirement:
Dedicated IP Addresses

If you are planning to host and manage DNS and mail software on your server, you should have at least two dedicated IP addresses that point to your server. In case you install and configure everything using only one IP address you'll get incorrect DNS zones and mail exchangers.

yes i can run a server, i am on a buisiness acct. but my isp told me with dsl it was impossible, i know otherwise....
What software are you using? There is no reason why you can't just use one external IP address, you can't get incorrect DNS zone and mail exchangers if you have one IP if you have them assigned properly.

im not sure how to run windows server via cli, i intend to run kloxo if i run lniux, waddya you guys think?

I'm coming in late to the thread, so let me see if I've got the basics here;

You want 2 public IPs because you want to run two DNS servers and a Mail server. Is that about right? If so, get an external DNS provider ( dyndns comes to mind ), they'll do it better than you could. That alone doesn't remove the two IP requirement though; you'll want a backup MX. Set your local mailserver as your primary MX, and then have somewhere handle the backup duties ( dyndns does this, I'm sure the others do as well ).

Viola, a single IP solution that your current hardware can handle and is far more robust than you trying to host it all yourself.

OK that works thanks for that, ill ask now, i assume that running centos with the kloxo admin panel is the best way, is there any other control panel for centos or any other Linux distro you can recommend?

OK that works thanks for that, ill ask now, i assume that running centos with the kloxo admin panel is the best way, is there any other control panel for centos or any other Linux distro you can recommend?
Haven't got anything there for ya. I don't use control panels, just the command line.

if it was just me, thats what i'd do. Bu as i said...i have 2 or 3 other that will be on this server also, they are not so tech savvy

So, as often is the case there is tons of misinformation here. I'm not really willing to replay it all but hosting your own nameserver, assuming you're not hosting massive sites with millions of queries, is not a big deal on DSL (I have a backup DNS server that has sat on a DSL line for years, thousands of queries a day and it is background noise on the line at most). What is a big deal is you're 100% down, mail and all, if your DSL is out, the hardware crashes, you set anything wrong, you get hacked, etc. Also, *nix is the only way you're going to get reasonable performance out of the machine you have.

If this is just a friendly server for you and friends to play with and isn't hosting anything critical that will cost money if it's down for a day, by all means go for it. You'll learn a lot and have a reasonable sandbox. That said, if there is going to be even the slightest urgency when things are down or expectations of good uptime; you're doing it wrong. A cheap VPS will be better, faster, and likely cheaper than adding static IP's to your DSL or Cable. Two of them gives you some redundancy like you're hinting at.

pretty much what i want, a few of us are wanting something to play with more or less, 2 of my friends are in school for web design, and want a testbed to play on, how are you hosting your name server? just wondeirng?

pretty much what i want, a few of us are wanting something to play with more or less, 2 of my friends are in school for web design, and want a testbed to play on, how are you hosting your name server? just wondeirng?

I run DJBDNS/TinyDNS as well as many other services across a handful of my own servers, some physical some virtual. I run most of them on FreeBSD, though one is Gentoo.

If this is just a test/dev environment then run the entire thing behind a NAT router. use 10.x.x.x IP ranges to act as "the internet" and then setup a VPN so your friends can come in too. Agree on ranges that wont conflict with their home network.

Back