Multiple EVGA 1080 ti’s in stock at MSRP

Seriously. There ought to be FS/FT rules against selling anything above list price. That's just scalping.

I couldn't disagree more. I have no problems with people attempting to get the most money out of whatever it is that they are selling. Hate the game, not the player.

I couldn't disagree more. I have no problems with people attempting to get the most money out of whatever it is that they are selling. Hate the game, not the player.

I hate that saying.

Wouldn't be a game if not for the players. The players are directly responsible.

I hate that saying.

Wouldn't be a game if not for the players. The players are directly responsible.

Long time tech enthusiasts are used to market forces driving down prices and yielding ever improving performance to price ratios. Now markets are working differently but the same rules and game. I hate speculation as much as the next person when it creates hyperinflation but unfortunately it is a market force.

If I was Nvidia or AMD I would be trying to make as many cards as possible! Make huge money while people do not care about price.

Reactions: Parja
like this
I have five 1080Tis.

I have twenty buyers.

I would be retarded if I didn't raise the price until I only had five buyers. whether that price us US$750 or US$1750.

This. You'd be stupid not to ask for crazy price.

I have five 1080Tis.

I have twenty buyers.

I would be retarded if I didn't raise the price until I only had five buyers. whether that price us US$750 or US$1750.
No, market dynamics of supply and demand are responsible. Supply shortages are from guys buying literal boatloads of these for mining farms in China, not people reselling GPU’s here on the forum.

No, market dynamics of supply and demand are responsible. Supply shortages are from guys buying literal boatloads of these for mining farms in China, not people reselling GPU’s here on the forum.

Long time tech enthusiasts are used to market forces driving down prices and yielding ever improving performance to price ratios. Now markets are working differently but the same rules and game. I hate speculation as much as the next person when it creates hyperinflation but unfortunately it is a market force.

Engineering major, economics minor here.

I understand the concept of free markets very well. It's a supply vs. demand distortion driven by the mining trend that is driving this problem for sure.

I just think it is unethical to take advantage of the current crisis by scalping GPU's.

When I sell tickets I don't need I consider myself ethically bound to sell them for the face value or less, and not take advantage of people. I've never been in this position before when it comes to PC hardware, but I feel the same sense of ethics would apply. I shouldn't be profiting from something out of my control, at the expense of others. It's just wrong.

When I sell tickets I don't need I consider myself ethically bound to sell them for the face value or less, and not take advantage of people. I've never been in this position before when it comes to PC hardware, but I feel the same sense of ethics would apply. I shouldn't be profiting from something out of my control, at the expense of others. It's just wrong.

You're comparing scalping with speculation, totally different. I have no idea what the ethical price is of GPU because right now some people even at these prices are turning them into printing presses of cash, untraceable, untaxable cash. When people get greedy sure there are ethical problems but again, what is an ethically priced GPU these days?

Last edited:
Your comparing scalping with speculation, totally different. I have no idea what the ethical price is of GPU because right now some people even at these prices are turning them into printing presses of cash, untraceable, untaxable cash. When people get greedy sure there are ethical problems but again, what is an ethically priced GPU these days?
mrsp, simple as that

Eh, I don't see it.

Cars can definitely be sold above MSRP when out of production, for example. Even new, current models.

The market will provide!

Eh, I don't see it.

Cars can definitely be sold above MSRP when out of production, for example. Even new, current models.

The market will provide!
doesn't matter, msrp is what the manufacturer has decided something should cost, the market can decide what it wants to pay for it whether that be higher or lower, but it doesn't change the value the makers have determined.

I understand the concept of free markets very well. It's a supply vs. demand distortion driven by the mining trend that is driving this problem for sure.

I just think it is unethical to take advantage of the current crisis by scalping GPU's.

"Medical Student here."

I have no idea why you feel ethically bound to do anything but that's absolutely ridiculous and not how markets work.

Perhaps you should sell your house at the exact same price you bought it as to not cheat the next owners
Or that stock you bought 5 years ago, better sell it for what you paid or you're screwing over the next guy
What about Amazon, Target, or Walmart - I suppose they should just sell their merchandise for what they paid their suppliers???

Meaninglessly attaching ethics to the market dynamics of a luxury good (yes, nobody in fact needs a 1080 Ti) , is stupid. It would make a tiny more sense if we were talking about food or something, but the ethics of flipping GPU's...c'mon man.

"Medical Student here."

I have no idea why you feel ethically bound to do anything but that's absolutely ridiculous and not how markets work.

Perhaps you should sell your house at the exact same price you bought it as to not cheat the next owners
Or that stock you bought 5 years ago, better sell it for what you paid or you're screwing over the next guy
What about Amazon, Target, or Walmart - I suppose they should just sell their merchandise for what they paid their suppliers???

Meaninglessly attaching ethics to the market dynamics of a luxury good (yes, nobody in fact needs a 1080 Ti) , is stupid. It would make a tiny more sense if we were talking about food or something, but the ethics of flipping GPU's...c'mon man.

Sounds like someone needs to go build a city at the bottom of the Atlantic or something :p

BioShock_Remastered_Artwork_4.jpg

doesn't matter, msrp is what the manufacturer has decided something should cost, the market can decide what it wants to pay for it whether that be higher or lower, but it doesn't change the value the makers have determined.

MSRP is what the manufacturer decided they can sell something for, not what it should cost. Take a look at the latest NZXT motherboard, announced at $299-dropped $50 before release to $249. This reaction was only because every tech website out there said no one should pay $299 for that. When NZXT set the price at $299 it's not because that is what they thought it was worth, its what they thought they could sell it for. If they thought it was worth $299 they would never have dropped the price.

Long story short, the way our markets are set up ensures there is no ethical price for anything, especially a luxury good. If you don't want it you don't have to buy it.

Sounds like someone needs to go build a city at the bottom of the Atlantic or something :p

View attachment 51336

Honestly man, I'm not some crazy business magnate looking to crush those less fortunate than me. Look at what I'm saying, it really does make sense (at least with the goods described). Now if we were talking healthcare or something...that's a whole new bucket of worms.

You do whatever, but when it comes to business, my motto is always "I am worth what I negotiate."

When people buy things from me, they sure don't feel ethically bound to pay me more than my asking price. So until that starts happening, I'm not going to offer anything less than the market value of whatever I own. If that means I make more money than I initially expected, then fantastic.

At the end of the day, the prices for GPUs are what people are willing to pay for them. Period.

I'm ethically bound to laugh in your face if you think I should sell for anything for less than market value.

I'm considering selling one of my GTX 1060s at 10% off MSRP, but it's to a close friend who is building his first gaming computer. If I'm selling online, I'll take what I can get. Feel free to ad me to your "do not trade" lists!

Do whatever you want as long as you're willing to have that done unto you [and aren't violating any laws of course].

As for mining falling out, highly dubious, we're taking just a couple coins being close to a quarter TRILLION dollars -- that kind of money tends to attract a lot of attention. If you do some quick scanning, you'll find that Wall Street banks among other big players are getting in on it and starting to back coins. This is sort of the time when people say, "can't wait for that to blow over", and in a few years, "wish I would have gotten in on that when the market indicators where blaring at me, and before Joe family man had heard about it."

Seriously. There ought to be FS/FT rules against selling anything above list price. That's just scalping.
Disagree. The price should be what the market says it should be. If I buy something (anything) and I decide I don't need it and the market value is 60% of what I paid, nobody on here is going to pay me 90 cents on the dollar, much less 100 cents/$.

Prices aren't being driven by someone selling a card on H, they're being driven by miners. Hell, if I'd bought a 1080TI at launch, I'd probably dump it now and wait for the next card or for prices to drop again. For now, i'll live with my old card.

Disagree completely. 1. If you sell it at MSRP, there's no guarantee that the buyer won't turn around and sell it for 500 more (or whatever the market price is) on eBay.
As for tickets, in an ideal world, I'd agree, but if People aren't going to pay me face for a ticket when the show isn't selling well, I don't see why I should sell it at face when it is. I don't sit around selling tickets (or video cards), but when I do, I'm going to ask roughly the market price.

If I use your logic, if my grandfather gave me a $20 double eagle gold piece that he bought for face 100 years ago, I should sell it for 20 bucks now, instead of scalping it for hundreds of thousands, if not millions of dollars.

Disagree. The price should be what the market says it should be.

Wat? So If I buy out all of the boxes of Cpt. Crunch, and I decide to sell them for 400 dollars a box, Cpt. Crunch is 400 dollars a box because I say so? No. Worth is set by production cost & employment wage in peacetime. Just because I say its worth 400 dollars doesn't make it worth 400 dollars.

Wat? So If I buy out all of the boxes of Cpt. Crunch, and I decide to sell them for 400 dollars a box, Cpt. Crunch is 400 dollars a box because I say so? No.
No, the market would say so.

Just because crazy miners set it at their prices, doesn't make it worth what they ask for it.

But that's exactly what is happening. The card isn't worth $1200 to *you*. It's worth $1200 to someone though, and they will buy it at that price. Therefore, the card is worth $1200.

When demand drops for cards because the bubble bursts or whatever and no one can sell a card for $1200, then you're going to see the prices drop until people decide to buy it again.

Sorry....that's just how the market works. Been this way for a very long time.

If it makes you all happy, I sold a 1080 FE for $380 to my buddy the other day... It had been mining for 5 months so I thought what the hell.... Would I have sold it that cheap anywhere else? Hell NO... I would have sold it on ebay to the highest bidder....

But then again, I wouldn't have done that either... I would have just kept mining with it..

But that's exactly what is happening. The card isn't worth $1200 to *you*. It's worth $1200 to someone though, and they will buy it at that price. Therefore, the card is worth $1200.

When demand drops for cards because the bubble bursts or whatever and no one can sell a card for $1200, then you're going to see the prices drop until people decide to buy it again.

Sorry....that's just how the market works. Been this way for a very long time.

Exactly, it's worth whatever someone is willing to pay for it.

Wat? So If I buy out all of the boxes of Cpt. Crunch, and I decide to sell them for 400 dollars a box, Cpt. Crunch is 400 dollars a box because I say so? No. Worth is set by production cost & employment wage in peacetime. Just because I say its worth 400 dollars doesn't make it worth 400 dollars.
Remember when people thought Twinkies would never be made again and people paid hundreds for a box of Twinkies? That's crazy, but people paid it and thus that's what they were worth. There are Beatles albums that are worth thousands of dollars, but it originally sold for a few bucks.

The Inverted Jenny stamp originally sold for 1 cent. 2 Years ago it sold for more than 1 million.

I may not like price gouging, but so long as demand outstrips supply, the GPUs are going to sell for a hefty premium and if you're selling your card to a stranger, you're nuts to sell it at MSRP, because there's a decent chance that person will turn around and sell it for a hefty markup.

Got a question. For those selling 1080 and 1080i cards on the forum, are they actually being bought on here? Or are these sellers running to Ebay after no bites from forum members? I think I know but I'm not certain.

Last edited:
Got a question. For those selling 1080 and 1080i cards on the forum, are they actually being bought on here? Or are these sellers running to Ebay after no bites from forum members? I think I know but I'm not certain.
This is what I would like to know also. I get no bites on my 1080 for $800 on craigslist and not worth selling on eBay where you lose 15% to fees.

I'm sure they are getting hits at $900 a card. There are a few miners looking to scoop up cards. At $1000 a card, probably not. Definitely a lot of people offering lowballs to get deals on mining cards though.

Been thinking about this myself. I have a couple or 1080s that I want to unload but I really HATE dealing with the selling process. Thinking about putting them on CL for $500 each, should be able to sell them easily for that without too much hassle.

Back