Multiple Ethernet?

zachary80

2[H]4U
Mobo: A7N8X Deluxe (dual etherent connections)
Old (computer): ethernet card
Router: di-704
Modem: cable, toshiba pcx1100

Old is used as a file-server for this computer. How would I connect my cables so that one would be for ethernet and one for the local network? Would making the connection from my modem directly to one ethernet port instead of the router work?

The main reason is for speed, but if it helped the security of the file server that would be nice

I have no crossover cable and would like to do so without buying one.

These are the only two computers on the network.

how it is now:
now.JPG

my new idea:
look.JPG

That's possible, but not very reasonable. Why would it be faster to do it the "new" way? It's much more reasonable to keep the way you have it now. And in my opinion, more secure.

Originally posted by Blitzrommel
That's possible, but not very reasonable. Why would it be faster to do it the "new" way? It's much more reasonable to keep the way you have it now. And in my opinion, more secure.

because when my local connection to my file server is maxed out my internet basically dies

the "new" picture's problem was my router's ip conflicting. I thought it would aid security because the fileserver "old" would no longer access the internet

instead I just set it up like this:
done.JPG
[/B][/QUOTE]
and messed with XP's settings so that connection1 was for file sharing and connection2 for internet

Back