Multiple email domains - Single Internet Connection - Multiple Email Servers

FireExit

Weaksauce
Afternoon All (Well it's afternoon to me anyway)

I've been doing some googling and just can't find the answer that im looking for. Basically my problem is this:

I have multiple email domains (eg domain1.co.uk, domain2.co.uk), but only one internet connection. What I am wanting to do is have two email servers inside my network, one handing each email domain.

This becomes a problem since the router I have only deals with ports, rather then email headers which is where i think my answer is.

I think I will need to be doing email routing based on the destination address in the email header.

What I am looking for is some firewall / router that will allow me to deliver incoming emails to different servers based on the To: address.

Any ideas? Or am I just imaging this capability exists?

You have all the mail come in to mail server 1. Configure it to relay mail to mail server 2 for the domain hosted on mail server 2.

If you have a separate spam appliance, you can also do it with that device.

Like Jjeff1 said, you either setup one of the servers to relay or you get some form of spam appliance like a Barracuda Spam Firewall or Mail Foundry, or Sophos or something like that.

I'll have a look and see if the mail servers support that - but they are fairly simple devices (Synology boxes)

Assuming that they don't support it, what other options do I have? Taking in mind that I don't have a spam appliance. I'm looking, hopefully, for a firewall appliance that can do what im looking for (preferably a *nix distro)

You could also host the domains on one email server. I run hmailserver on a VM on my network and I hosts 3 email domains on one of my static IPs.

Yeah, I've used hmailserver before, and I like it - But im trying to keep my power usage down (My VM lab isn't particularly energy efficient), and since I have these synology devices i want to use them really

Ok, cool, that looks like its hosting two separate mail domains on the same box using alias - However I want to use two separate boxes to do this.

From what you guys are saying i would need to have some kind of spam appliance to do this; mail relay from one box to another; host both domains on one box using alias; or bring up a virtual server to host everything....

So im guessing that no one knows of a *nix firewall distro that will do what im looking to do directly? Aka route incoming email to different servers based on information in the email header

Exactly what everyone else said. You'll need something to act as a mail server on the front end and relay mail for your multiple domains to different mail servers. The easiet answer will be some sort fo anti-spam appliance/box/VM. As part of the configuration, the anti-spam device will need to be told what domains it owns and where to route that email.

Recommendations:
Untangle
Endian

We host a bunch of domains on our Exchange server.....and our spam appliances don't care what domains flow through them, they just pass SMTP traffic (after cleaning) to the mail server behind it. Exchange handles multiple domains. It also has connectors allowing you to pass domain e-mail (on a global scale) to another IP address...so if for some reason you had to have separate physical servers for each domain of yours...can be done. dunno why..but can be done.

If it's exchange then you could use an edge transport server to route the appropriate emails to each exchange org, you just can't use edge subscriptions.

Yeah, it's not Exchange - It's basically smtp on Synology boxes. It's not the synology im concerned with directly, Im looking for someway to split the mail as it hits the network (preferably at the main firewall so i don't have to bring up any additional boxes (vm or otherwise), again that's why i was asking if any one was aware of a *nix distro that would have this kind of functionality

Yes, I know im being cheap and difficult - just want to know if its doable and if it is, how to do it - Basically as a form of technical challange

I know I can get Exchange or hmailserver to host the domains, just wanted to try something a little more "fun"

Yeah, hmailserver has been mentioned already, and I have used it in the past and like it, and I apreciate it being pointed out again - but I wanted to try a different angle that utilised the hardware that I have with out drinking watts of power by running my VM lab 24/7

Every time you want to try a "different angle" that's "more fun" than what's being suggested, remember this pic:

532-unique-just-because-you-are-unique-does-not-mean-you-are-useful.jpg

Layer 3 is layer 3 and layer 4 is layer 4. The End.

Do it right or don't do it at all.

Now that I like! It makes a valid point and I do accept it! If this was a production system, then yeah everything that's been said is completly valid and I would be taking a totally different path...

However, this is my home network, and my personal email domains, so im just taking to opportunity to try a different approach, and see if an idea pans out...

FireExit,

Grab your favorite linux distro, setup sendmail as an SMTP router - google the mailertable feature. It basically allows you to configure sendmail to receive mail for specific domains, then relay them onto specific hosts depending on the domain.

H.

Hi All,

I've ended up going with pfSense and installing the postfix forwarder package - Only got it installed last night, so not had a chance to play fully yet

Thank you all for your ideas and suggestions! :)

Back