Multiple connections for redundancy into one router

KuJaX

[H]F Junkie
I have a client that wants to run consumer grade cable internet and then satellite internet into the same computer. He wants to do this for redundancy reasons, so that if the cable goes out, he is still online. If his satellite internet goes out, he is still online.

He has uninterruptable power supplies on all of his equipment, so it would literally be on the ISP's end if anything happened. I was thinking of having both cable and satellite internet run into some type of router of which he plugs into and the way the router is configured is to join them both up, or run off of the cable internet and if it goes down then runs off of satellite internet.

Anyone have any experience or knowledge in this area? Cost isn't the biggest concern.

For inbound redundancy (he is running a web site, or email server, etc) or outbound redundancy (so they can still surf/email/etc)? That'll make a huge difference...

Fint said:
For inbound redundancy (he is running a web site, or email server, etc) or outbound redundancy (so they can still surf/email/etc)? That'll make a huge difference...

Both inbound and outbound redundancy. Basically he needs to be online 24/7, and this should happen most of the time but as you are aware cable (and even satellite internet) goes down here and there. If it does go down, he will technically still be online because of the other internet connection.

I have 2x clients doing similar things...I'm using Linksys/Cisco RV082s....dual WAN. Main connection is Motorola Canopy, secondary is DSL.

KuJaX said:
Both inbound and outbound redundancy. Basically he needs to be online 24/7, and this should happen most of the time but as you are aware cable (and even satellite internet) goes down here and there. If it does go down, he will technically still be online because of the other internet connection.

I think you missed the point of Fint's Question. Does he have any inbound DNS dependant services? i.e. and Email Server onsite, etc? I'm guessing not considering it's 2 consumer level ISPs.

Assuming that he doesn't, then run with StoneCat's suggestion. The RV082's work well, make sure the firmware is updated though!

No I do not believe there are any web host or e-mail servers that are on the machine.

RV082 is pretty universal?

KuJaX said:
No I do not believe there are any web host or e-mail servers that are on the machine.

RV082 is pretty universal?

The firmware that this site uses for their "check out the web admin" stuff....is waaaaay old...but if you look under system management, dual WAN, you'll see how to fiddle with it.

http://www.linksysdata.com/ui/RV082/1.1.6.14/SysSummary.htm

I like the RV0's..have about 50 or more of them out in production. Only thing that needs a slight bit of maturing is their IPSec QuickVPN software..every once in a while needs a reinstall, but the built in PPTP VPN server is bullet proof. Fast router...200 megs throughput, 90 megs VPN throughput at trip des.

Yup, all it needs to know is how to connect to ISP. It's just setting up Two separate WAN ports in the router, it will take care of the rest. KEEP is mind that it WILL NOT add the bandwidth of the two services together, only round robin load balance. That means it will alternate between using the two ISP for each request. If one ISP loses connection, it will only use the operational ISP.

Back