multiplatform games, Console or PC?

Would you rather buy a multi platform game for...

• PC

Votes: 52 77.6%
  • Console

Votes: 15 22.4%

• Total voters

sirsnits

[H]ard|Gawd
When you buy a game that has been released at the same time on consoles and PC, what system(s) would you rather buy the game for, console or PC?.

i usually like to get multiplatform games for the PC, mainly because of the price, i also like to adjust graphics.

but pc has a downside, online games are always hacked, and even the scriptkiddiest of them all can download an updated hack and frag who ever that little bastard wants :D.
also people tend to download software that can collide with the games software and crash, or prevent the game from starting... and so on (consoles have allot less of that).

for consoles, I prefer to buy games that are exclusively for that platform, like smash bro's for the wii, halo3 for 360, and R&C for ps3.

I would generally prefer to get it for PC, although it does depend on the genre and the game itself (including the quality of the PC version if it's a port).

Depends if the game is a shooter. If it is a shooter I always get it on the PC. Sports games and other games I get on the consoles.

Depends what type of game, some games controls are more suited to one platform or the other.

FPS games I love on PCs

Racing, GTA Style, and Arcade are more fun on consoles IMO.

Depends what type of game, some games controls are more suited to one platform or the other.

FPS games I love on PCs

Racing, GTA Style, and Arcade are more fun on consoles IMO.

qft. consoles weren't meant to house shooters, though it's getting alright now with the mouse/keyboard compatibility. I'd still choose the pc though.

Generally I'd go with PC, but it really depends on the quality of the port.

That and the type of game. Certain types of games do just seem better suited to certain platforms, and controller schemes.
IMHO:
Sitting on a couch playing a fighting or sports game with friends is better done with a console and controller.
FPS games are better with the display rather close to you with a kb/m. PC
Racing games are a toss up. Racing wheels of all kinds are available for just about any platform. And a multitude of racing games are available for all platforms.
Flight/mech sims are pc all the way. Full hotas setups available for the pc. And are there any real mech/flight sim games for console? Or just arcade type mech/flight games?
Rpg and rts games are another toss up. Depends on how complicated the game is.
Mmorpg = pc.

Whichever way the port is done, console-pc or pc-console, if it poorly done the game will suck.

Depends on the game. For most, PC. For almost any shooter, PC. If the game is a crappy PC port then console.

This poll needs an 'I tend to research my purchases and make my decisions on a game by game basis' option.

Which system was the game designed for? Is the PC version a poor port of the console-designed game? Is the game designed to be played with a controller? Tons of variables here for me.

This poll needs an 'I tend to research my purchases and make my decisions on a game by game basis' option.

lol.

ports are another story, but multiplatform games that are released at the same time are usually all optimized for its specific machine.

any game can be ported.

I would go for PC, but you also have to figure if it was built from the console and just ported over to the PC.

I have a hard time answering this, since multi-platform to me is a game being developed for several platforms and that does NOT include ports.
Ports mean that a game was developed for a specific platform (the so called main SKU) and then just ported to the other platform. This basically means that a console game ported to the PC, is still a console game, but it's on the PC.
A true multi-platform game is a game with the same concept, level design, story and characters, while the interaction and gameplay is adjusted to the platform its being developed for. This does not happen with ports.

So, in the "true" sense of multi-platform, I would pick the PC, because I prefer it as a gaming platform. But what we have today, is software houses calling "multi-platform" games that are made for consoles first and then ported to PC and I'm sure you know how the majority of those titles turn out to be...

... and the point of this poll would be???

I would expect almost everyone here to say PC...

For the main website to constantly be doing reviews on PC hardware and products, to have many different sub forums for PC, from AMD, to Intel, to moding, video cards, to over clocking.... Most of the traffic coming here is for PC purposes.

So honestly, this poll is pretty much useless. Sorry to crap on your thread, but its true :X

... and the point of this poll would be???

I would expect almost everyone here to say PC...

For the main website to constantly be doing reviews on PC hardware and products, to have many different sub forums for PC, from AMD, to Intel, to moding, video cards, to over clocking.... Most of the traffic coming here is for PC purposes.

So honestly, this poll is pretty much useless. Sorry to crap on your thread, but its true :X

its ok, its not a thread crap, your just expressing your opinion, thats the whole point of this thread/poll.

Considering 90% of my games are shooters, PC hands down.

They look better, they play better, and the multiplayer is always better. I can't figure out why idiots fap to a 10 player CoD 4 server...

No contest.

With the exception of EA Sports games, every single multiplatform game:

looks better on PC
sounds better on PC
controls better on PC (yes, controls better, we can use virtually any controller ever released with a simple USB adapter, or go mouse/kb, we also have better wheels/pedals and joysticks)
performs better on PC
is cheaper on the PC

...assuming of course that your PC is up to the task.

A little over a year ago this may not have rung true, but with the hardware at our disposal now, there's no contest.

This generation, I usually tend to favor the PC just because of the $10+ markdown. Though, for shooters, sims, and RTSes, I will always go for PC mostly because of the community support through mods.

some very valid points about PC and Mplat games.

Thats why its disturbs me to hear, when people saying... "PC gaming is a dying breed", I Beg to differ monsieur.

I used to be a die hard PC gamer and pretty much ruled out ever owning a console, but now, I'm starting to shift towards consoles. I know several people have gaming HTPCs, but I just prefer coming home, kicking my shoes off, and laying on my couch while playing whatever game on my 360 as opposed to sitting down at my desk to play a PC game. Maybe I'm just getting lazy these days or maybe I'm tired of playing the "upgrade game". I don't really know why I lost interest in PC gaming really. I've recently bought a Mac too. I've gone bonkers!

some very valid points about PC and Mplat games.

Thats why its disturbs me to hear, when people saying... "PC gaming is a dying breed", I Beg to differ monsieur.

That’s because you're coming to a PC COMMUNITY. Please tell me how the NPD figures stand for console vs. PC... I bet I know which one is doing better ;)

I used to be a die hard PC gamer and pretty much ruled out ever owning a console, but now, I'm starting to shift towards consoles. I know several people have gaming HTPCs, but I just prefer coming home, kicking my shoes off, and laying on my couch while playing whatever game on my 360 as opposed to sitting down at my desk to play a PC game. Maybe I'm just getting lazy these days or maybe I'm tired of playing the "upgrade game". I don't really know why I lost interest in PC gaming really. I've recently bought a Mac too. I've gone bonkers!

I'm kinda with you there... Except no Mac and no 360. But I have gotten tired of upgrading my PC, for a while there was all this talk about "You have to get Vista to run 64-Bit and get all the newest shaders and shit". I just get tired of dropping a grand on a PC, then a year and half later, I have to drop another graphics card in it, maybe another gig of ram... just to play the most recent games.

So I've started favoring my PS3 more. Got it in Dec of 06 (60Gig) and I haven't dropped 1 dime on it since, still playing all the newest games, have the ability to rent games, and it performs all my basic needs. I still have my PC, but its not being used the way it used to be.

That’s because you're coming to a PC COMMUNITY. Please tell me how the NPD figures stand for console vs. PC... I bet I know which one is doing better ;)

ya, thats most definitely a given,consoles are more popular for the average gamer, but there are quite a few console gamers that own high end PC's, like in this forum, and im sure they are not only doing their taxes on them.

thing with PC is, allot of people pirate games, mostly for PC, making PC an only choice for that certain game, and that would also not show up in the purchase count of PC games to be sold, which would put a dent in the popularity count.
but if everyone who pirated a game bought the game instead, could the tables possibly turn.... i don't know.

Most games are simply better on the PC. In the past their was a reason to dislike cross platform games because the PC version was usually an after thought but since the exception of the Xbox360 it seems to me that instead the PC is version is generally the premium (directors cut) version. The PC versions generally have better graphics, better controls and sometimes added content. Not to mention active mod communities.

There are exceptions but more often than the PC version looks better, feels better and plays better.

Depends if the game is a shooter. If it is a shooter I always get it on the PC. Sports games and other games I get on the consoles.

Pretty much what he said.

I will never get a shooter on console, if its out for the PC, close to the same time. I got Assassins Creed for my PS3, because the PC version got delayed for so long. I got CoD4 for the PC, because playing a fps with a gamepad is stupid to me, if you have the option to use kb/mouse. Not to mention PC games are cheaper, by $10 or more. And you can mod them, and have total conversions, etc. Shooters for the PC by 100000%.

Likewise, sports games are better on consoles. When I would play them on the PC, Id use a gamepad anyways. Its just better on the console, and big screen to me. Racing games are better on console to me too, although its a close one.

Different types of games, are better on different formats.

Can you plug a keyboard/mouse into an xbox 360 and play halo 3 on xbox live? I'm just not as adept at playing fps games on console, but with that said my current computer pails in comparison to a xbox 360 graphic wise (that will change very, very soon -- like tomorrow!).

I voted PC strictly because I love fps games, but there are some great console games out there. I'm a huge fan Zelda, and the newest wii version did not let me down.

PC for several reasons... and as many have said, unless the PC version sucks, you always have way more options. More resolutions, more controllers, the availability of more performance and mods, and cheaper.
This of course all depends on what kind of PC you have, which most here have PCs that blow away console hardware.
Consoles are made for console only games for the most part, like the halo series before it was released for PC (that sucked) even though it paled in comparison to PC shooters, things like GH and Rock Band (which are still barely making their way to PC, even though I prefer Frets on Fire to GH) and anything for the Wii.

Back