Multipath quandary

RagingSamster

2[H]4U
sMz5cbo.jpg

So I've been told by network designers that this will work.

I need to provide multiple users with printing capability trough a single printer.
The network that the printer is provided with must be isolated from any other networks to enable users to print without authentication to the network. But the users must also be able to connect to the internet.

In a test environment, I am using a linksys wrt54g as the dhcp source local network,(wifi disabled, all physically connected) and using a wifi hotspot as an internet access network.

Ip information shows correct addressing for both interfaces (private network on wired adapter, public wifi on wireless) but while I can see devices connected to the physical network and ping them, I cannot see or ping anything on the public side, including the gateway.

I was thinking that this 'solution' is not going to work, am I all wet?

If it will work, what changes client side should I make in order to access both paths?

Thanks in advance [H]!

Buy a $20 USB print server and do IP printing, that way you are not dependant on that one desktop for printing.

Buy a $20 USB print server and do IP printing, that way you are not dependant on that one desktop for printing.

What he said. The existing plan is moving parts than you need, and a single USP print server is less to manage.

Actually, the workstation is in use, for folks who don't bring their own - and it allows the drivers to be loaded/provided to the users without needing elevated rights on their own pcs.

Actually, the workstation is in use, for folks who don't bring their own - and it allows the drivers to be loaded/provided to the users without needing elevated rights on their own pcs.

The driver still has to be installed on the machine doing the printing, doesn't matter where it comes from, but it does have to be installed.

Yes, but using a windows workstation, the driver is provided to the connecting workstation without the need for elevated privileges. When a windows workstation is sharing the printer, it has greater leeway in installing drivers, than if a end user attempted the same connection via USB.

My real issue is not being able to access the internet from the wifi side, although all indications (ipconfig from command prompt) show that the device has both networks connected.

So you've handed out addresses on two nics from two different DHCP servers?

Do both of the nics have default gateways defined? Which nic will windows try to use to go to a network it isn't on?

Exactly my issue... I'm wondering if I've lost my marbles, but how do you point printing traffic to one nic and all other traffic to another one. 'They' say they have it working in another locale, I am dubious.

Both nics are fed all configuration by the dhcp servers of their respective connections. I did change the wrt router to provide the DNS of the wifi network, but that did not help, I wonder if I set up the default gateway on the wrt to the wifi's default, if then it gain access.... Just shooting in the dark right now.

What you are trying to do won't fly if you have to keep complete isolation. By having both NICs, you are creating a link between networks. Let's try this, try and hard set the IP on the wireless connection, but leave the gateway blank and test.

What you are trying to do won't fly if you have to keep complete isolation. By having both NICs, you are creating a link between networks. Let's try this, try and hard set the IP on the wireless connection, but leave the gateway blank and test.

only if you bridge the connections......right?

Bridging the connection would allow a direct connection (obviously bad). But what about a security breach from the wireless side (guest) to penetrate the PC, now they have access to the internal network. Removing the Gateway from the Wireless connection only allows communication with the local wireless clients only, but it's still connected on the subnet. Ho much of a concern is that? Only the OP can tell us.

Also OP, either make the Guest-side NIC a wired connection plugged into a LAN connection on the WRT, or disable wireless isolation (it's own danger) for best results.

Leave the wireless nic alone, that's where the default gateway needs to be since that's their internet access.

Set all of the wired nics to static and leave the default gateway blank. Now when you try to hit the workstation IP (on the wired side) the PC will send traffic to it over the wired since it has a direct connection, and all other traffic will go out the wireless.

This is to resolve your printing issue only. I have no idea if you use this wired network for anything else. This sounds like a small network and they have no budget, and probably don't have to worry about compliance, etc. Otherwise this would never fly.

To be honest I see this as a hack job mess but you asked if it could work and yes it can but I'd be inclined to find another way to get this working. To each his own

I'd like to plug the router's uplink port into a wired network configured with the same authentication methods the wireless is using, that way the router would provide a private network for the users, but if anyone wanted to get beyond it they would have to authenticate. Network management would likely pitch a fit. bureaucracy at it's finest - this is a hack job, and I am not happy that I have to test out this stuff only to tell people who's job it is to know better that it won't work.

Back