Multimeter Suggestions

DWD1961

[H]ard|Gawd
I can't afford a Fluke. 30 bucks or less. Amazon has literally hundreds of them but most are questionable. Amazon has it's own brand which is 'probably' decent. It's only 13 bucks.

I ordered this one because it is autoranging and supposedly does a lot more than most, such as amps. 10A and lower side fused. Cat II 600V. However, it was 22.00 vs 13. I may send it back based on recommendation I get here and one other place.

Neoteck Auto Ranging Digital Multimeter AC/DC Voltage Current Ohm Capacitance Frequency Diode Transistor Audible Continuity, Multi Tester with Backlit LCD
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01NAVAT9S/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&th=1

This is the Amazon one:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07W1BK4P...e7-530e-47f5-9131-2486ba45eda3&pd_rd_wg=WkLcP

It will measure up to 200ma DC. I'm using it for DC, no AC, but some AC functions would be nice.

Anyone have any suggestions?

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I only use mine to check the voltages on lead acid batteries so I bought the cheap 5 dollar one at harbor freight. Works great.

Cheap meters are disposable and don't last forever. I bought a Ragu brand meter (yea, it's red like spaghetti sauce, LOL) and it's been ok. I'd prefer a Fluke but like you, cannot afford.

Cheap meters are disposable and don't last forever. I bought a Ragu brand meter (yea, it's red like spaghetti sauce, LOL) and it's been ok. I'd prefer a Fluke but like you, cannot afford.
YEah, the cheapest Fluke on Amazon for decent options is like 140 bucks. I could buy nearly 12 of the Amazon brand for that much. That, and I'm not going to be using it all day everyday. The cheap brand would probably last my lifetime, if it is accurate enough. That's the main concern.

YEah, the cheapest Fluke on Amazon for decent options is like 140 bucks. I could buy nearly 12 of the Amazon brand for that much. That, and I'm not going to be using it all day everyday. The cheap brand would probably last my lifetime, if it is accurate enough. That's the main concern.

Depends on the degree of accuracy you require. A Fluke will give you the best accuracy whereas most cheapos are gonna be off a bit. If mine reads 118 volts instead of 120 that no big deal but if you're measuring millivolts the cheapos might not be what you need.

BTW, I have 4 tire pressure gauges in the garage. A few days ago I tried them all on the same tire. The variance was 10psi with no 2 gauges reading the same. When it comes to measurement accuracy, ignorance is bliss applies.

I've got like a 35 year old Fluke that I use. I've had it for around 25 years I believe. Still works great.

looks like I have to clean the connector for the LCD again as it has faded segments.
IMG_7895.JPEG

Last edited:
Depends on the degree of accuracy you require. A Fluke will give you the best accuracy whereas most cheapos are gonna be off a bit. If mine reads 118 volts instead of 120 that no big deal but if you're measuring millivolts the cheapos might not be what you need.

BTW, I have 4 tire pressure gauges in the garage. A few days ago I tried them all on the same tire. The variance was 10psi with no 2 gauges reading the same. When it comes to measurement accuracy, ignorance is bliss applies.
Oh god I know. I went to Les Shwaub a few days ago to have them put air in my tires, and I also have one of those 15 dollar Amazon digital gauges. I asked them what they used and they said the old plunger style that has a spring in it. He said they were accurate for about a month, then they toss them and grab another one. He tested it against my digital and said it was right on--for what it was worth. But 10 PSI variance could get you killed. That's ridiculous.

Last edited:
Whatever you get, get an autoranging one.

OK, well after doing some more research, I found this Youtiube review and test of the 15.00 Amazon DMM. I canceled the Neo-whatever. It's NOT auto-ranging, but it has everything and one for the commenters said it was a rebranded CEM multimeter. The Youtube dude tested it against a cheaper version he likes, but with 6 digit readout, but also used his 200.00 Greenlee. It measured perfectly all through his tests. He busted it open and checked out the safety aspects of it and said it was good to go. Of course, you'd expect Amazon to NOT sell something they could ever be sued for, unlike a Chinese company doing business in China with little resources anyway.

I wanted teh auto range as it is conveinient and it REALLY cleans up the UI. However, I don't care really. I can just start at the top and dial it down where I need it.

Amazon DMM 90DM120 (CATIII 600V) Review and Test:

Amazon DMM 90DM120
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07VY41YHM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Any comments on the Amazon DMM 90DM120 ? Remember, it's 15 bucks!

At 15 bucks no comment is necessary. I'd buy one if I needed it. For now my Ragu is getting the job done.

I have a Uni-t UT139C. I had gotten mine for $38 on Amazon but it looks like they are selling for $53 right now. It has auto ranging and all of the nifty features you'd want in a multi meter for home, automotive, and lab usage.
Fluke's are great and in a professional setting it makes sense to pay the premium but the cost is a bit much unless you are using it every day.

If you really want to dive deep you can look at the spreadsheet comparisons of many brands on the EEVBlog forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/

I have a Uni-t UT139C. I had gotten mine for $38 on Amazon but it looks like they are selling for $53 right now. It has auto ranging and all of the nifty features you'd want in a multi meter for home, automotive, and lab usage.
Fluke's are great and in a professional setting it makes sense to pay the premium but the cost is a bit much unless you are using it every day.

If you really want to dive deep you can look at the spreadsheet comparisons of many brands on the EEVBlog forum:
https://www.eevblog.com/forum/testgear/multimeter-spreadsheet/
A bit dated, from 2014.

I'm done shoping for now. The Amazon DMM is it. I wish it were autorange, but it is what it is.

Hmmm, that looks suspiciously like my Ragu.

Meh, I never really noticed the convenience of autorange. One time I had a cheap multimeter with autorange and I was in a super awkward position trying to get a reading. The autorange took longer switching around and settling on a single value then if I had just set it to the range I wanted and poked the contacts briefly.

might be worth seeing if you can find a used higher-end meter instead of a new cheapie one. a few years ago I picked up a Fluke 115 ($199 msrp) for 40 bux at a pawn shop and it's been fantastic.

I hate auto ranging. It's nice to have but if you know what your looking for, just set the range.

I have one of the Harbor Freight cheapies that they used to give away for free. I paid a few dollars for the last one I bought. I also have one of their nicer ones with auto ranging. I almost always grab the cheapie because it works

Back