Multi-monitor setup, using extended displays on certain ones, and excluding others?

jdempsey

Limp Gawd
Hey guys, so I'm having some issues getting my setup the way I want it, and I'm wondering if you guys can help me.

I now have 4 displays attached to my main system, 1) Primary Monitor, 2) Secondary Monitor, 3) Pen Tablet 4) 4k TV.

What I'd like to do, is have extended desktops, with displays 1-3, excluding 4 (the TV), except when I hit WindowsKey+P, and be able to switch to only displaying on display 4.

Reason being, the only time I want to use display 4, is for gaming. This only works if it's the only/primary display.

I have no problem switching between all of them, if I don't use extended desktops, however, I can't seem to enable display 4, in nvidia control panel, without it using it as another extended desktop, which is aggravating just because it's typically not either on or set to the PC input, and it means the mouse cursor will roll onto that desktop when I pass the edge of whichever other display it's set extended off of.

I could of course, simply unplug the hdmi cable I guess, but I'm hoping there's a more elegant solution. In a perfect world I'd have a dedicated rig just for gaming on the TV, but considering the cost of having a good 4k gaming system, that's not feasible currently for me. I also need the graphics power for other tasks with the other displays, and or FPS games, with my primary monitor which is 120hz.

Anyway, any insight would be appreciated... Hope the above makes sense, thanks all!

you can registry hack to force the detection of only the tv:
http://www.gamesdust.nl/index.php?id=247

just test what registry settings that keep the Tv as main/only display and create a registry patch to change back and forth between profiles

Gah k, was hoping for a more elegant solution... Windows still really sucks in this area.

I had it all working last night in a way that seemed ok, had the TV set far to one side of the monitor layout section, off the pen tablet, which I didn't have much fear of accidentally mousing to, but then after all my displays went to sleep, for some reason, half my open windows were lost on that screen (TV), and I had to disable that monitor, to get them back.

Something you've been able to handle in X easily for a decade or two, and it's still barely functional in Windows 10... =\

Looks like DisplayFusion will sort out my issues. At a minimum it allows tons of hot-key setup options to move windows to the current screen, etc. Honestly, I had forgotten about this software, happy to see it's still being developed and supported.

Back