Much faster connection and yet much crappier video conferencing. How can that be?

polaatx3

n00b
Hello,
I replaced my old modem and router with a used Netgear C6300BD modem with built-in router i bought on ebay.
I did this because Spectrum claimed they had raised my speed from 100 mbps to 400 but my old modem was not capable of such a speed.
My speed is much better now. IT used to be around 15 mbps. Now when I connect to the 5ghz sometimes it goes as high as 200mbps according to speedtest.net.

And yet my video conferences on Zoom is MUCH WORSE than before. It hangs constantly. And not just on one device, but I tried on another laptop too. Also noticed that YouTube on Samsung smart tv also sometimes takes it awhile to show the thumbnails.

Does anyone know why this is? Something about "latency"? But the internet provider is the same company. So something wrong with the new modem?

speedtest.net says my ping is 18 ms. Is that good or bad?

Thank you in advance.

Hello,
I replaced my old modem and router with a used Netgear C6300BD modem with built-in router i bought on ebay.
I did this because Spectrum claimed they had raised my speed from 100 mbps to 400 but my old modem was not capable of such a speed.
My speed is much better now. IT used to be around 15 mbps. Now when I connect to the 5ghz sometimes it goes as high as 200mbps according to speedtest.net.

And yet my video conferences on Zoom is MUCH WORSE than before. It hangs constantly. And not just on one device, but I tried on another laptop too. Also noticed that YouTube on Samsung smart tv also sometimes takes it awhile to show the thumbnails.

Does anyone know why this is? Something about "latency"? But the internet provider is the same company. So something wrong with the new modem?

Thank you in advance.
did you do a full factory reset on the "new" one?
try fast.com and click more info.

Latency issue obviously but where is the question. Having a faster connection isn't everything, latency is far more important than overall speed if you are not doing large upload/downloading, like the 1% lows in gaming.
Could just be a shitty used router and that's why it was for sale? It's the only thing that has definitely changed. But definitely do a factory reset as pendragon said.

Dude, put a couple hundred aside and do yourself a favor. Go buy brand new equipment and watch your problem go away.

if for any reason it doesn’t, quickly return. You’ll save yourself a huge headache.

Multiple pieces have changed replacing your old modem and router with 1 piece. It'd be helpful to break down and test segments to try and identify the issue(s) so you know what to adjust or fix. Test directly connected to the modem to eliminate wifi on the new router/modem combo. If issue goes away then the netgear wifi signal strength/quality may not be as good as what you replaced. If directly connected it's the same try going to back to old combo too. If more stable could be the modem component of the new combo piece is not good. Configuration and settings tweaks could also help but I'm not familiar with that Netgear hardware to make suggestions there. If you can segment things out and troubleshoot it saves breaking out the wallet and throwing parts at the issue.

You are seeing faster speeds on things that use acknowledged protocols (TCP/HTTP/etc) like web browsing, file downloads and even speedtest sites? But video conf apps like Zoom, etc., generally use unacknowledged transfers. If you are seeing speed improvements but choppy video my first thought for troubleshooting would be to hunt for something dropping packets. Something in your path can't handle the new speed.

Not really the same thing, but I ran a private server for a certain unnamed game and got lots of hitches and overall was not a smooth experience. This was with an all-in-one modem/router that the cable company furnished me. Bought one of the T-Mobile refurb Asus routers that used to go on sale all the time and set the current modem/router to bridge mode and let the router handle the rest. Buttery smooth experience from there on.

Hello,

Thank you in advance.

That modem doesn't support 400mb, that maybe why. It only supports a max of 150mbps. I would recommend a much better/faster modem and don't get a Puma 6 chipset to prevent latency issues.

https://www.cox.com/residential/support/netgear-c6300bd.html

1592484683365.png

Yeah, first you need a modem that 100% supports your speed. Second, make sure it's just a modem. Then build yourself a pfsense box and get off these consumer grade routers. Separate router and high quality access point like Ubiquiti will solve your problems. I have a long range ubiquiti unifi AP I can sling your way if you want to pick it up.

Back