(Much) Faster alternative to Remote Desktop?

TekSomniaK

[H]ard|Gawd
I'm in college right now but I have the ability to keep my job because I can connect to the computers at the office. However this requires me to use Remote Desktop and I've been able to put up with it for the past few months but I'm borderline about to destroy my computer because of how long everything takes to load. Minimizing a window takes like 20 seconds sometimes, just as a little example. Are there any alternatives to this crap? The connection at my office is a full T1 so I don't believe it is a problem with bandwidth and such.

Yes, it's very fast and reliable :)

At our workplace, we use Novell ZEN Remote Desktop and it's also a bliss but not doable for home networks because it's tied to Novell servers and stuff.

If remote desktop is slow, the I highly doubt any VNC or VNC like program will resolve the issue. It's more likely a connection issue such as bandwidth, packet loss, or general congestion between the sites.

Are you sure the college network isn't the culprit?

It's definitely dependant on the network itself. If RDP is slow, I wouldn't hold much hope that anything else would work any better.

I've done RDP over 56k dial-up with better responsiveness than what you are reporting...

Assuming the correct options for minimizing the data transfer were selected (no background images, etc).

I'd make sure you have sounds turned off, use a low color connection, say 256 colors. Cache images locally and make sure you aren't using printer redirection unless needed.

Those tips may help, if you haven't already done them.

I found that I acutally had a better connection (locally) with RDP than with something like TightVNC. Though I liked VNC a lot because of some of the options and functionality (like, say, not having to log off the current user; there is a windows hack around this) RDP was much faster and seemed to have a more stable connection (nothing real to back that up... just felt more stable). I tend to think network issues as well, expecially if it's from a remote location.

Not to thread-jack, but while the subject is up, is there a distance limitation for RD....bandwith aside (i'm on a 6mb cable connection)?

try checkin out logmein.com for a web-based solution. its the same thing as gotomypc.
they have a free version.

We used to use RealVNC here @ work, but removed to Remote Administrator. Its about as fast.

I had a similar problem at my previous job. When you were going from outside of the CorpLAN to remote to a homeLAN, it would go somewhat slow. If you chose to share local printers/drives/etc., then good luck moving the cursor. Do any of the following apply?

*EDIT* Just noticed you are remoting from College to Work. Probably because you are bouncing across networks you have a pure traffic issue. It wouldnt matter if you used coffee cans and string to deliver the data, it wont be any faster. (IMHO)

Through all my positions I have used RDP/TS, Dameware, VNC, and RAdmin.

VNC is by far the most resource hogging tool of any of these. It is responsive, but it can seriously bog down other tasks on a server.

RAdmin is the the best at holding a connection even through terrible bandwidth issues. It's better than VNC for sure, and has features such as remote command prompt and file transfer.

Dameware is the best to use inside of another remote connection, and is as fast and as compact as RAdmin. The big advantage to this product is you don't have to be at the computer you want to remote control to install it or configure it. RDP+Dameware is an excellent combo, or dameware works well inside itself.

The order in which I like these would be: RAdmin, Dameware, RDP, VNC.
The order in which I actually use these is: Dameware, RDP, VNC, RAdmin.

The latter list is due to the way my employers have just been setup.

SJConsultant said:
If remote desktop is slow, the I highly doubt any VNC or VNC like program will resolve the issue. It's more likely a connection issue such as bandwidth, packet loss, or general congestion between the sites.

Are you sure the college network isn't the culprit?

What he said. There isn't anything faster (more native) than RDP.

Have you thought of tuning remote desktop? Knocking down the color settings and the animation settings, and so on?

mikeblas said:
Have you thought of tuning remote desktop? Knocking down the color settings and the animation settings, and so on?

that has already been suggested but I don't know if the OP has done it yet. I assume he has...

Back