MTV announces plans to release previous South Park episodes online

Vertigo Acid

2(-log[H+])4u
In a move paralleling the online archiving of The Daily Show, Viacom subsidiary MTV has announced their intention to put all of South Park online, for free. It's well known among fans that Trey Parker and Matt Stone, the creators of South Park, have publicly encouraged downloading of their show from whatever source. This move would legitimize such activities, and undoubtedly generate advertising revenue.

My question is, won't this cut into their DVD boxset sales? Since The Daily Show isn't released in that format, it was a non-issue, but not so for South Park.

"One does not diminish the other by any stretch of the imagination. That is kind of our hat trick," was said by Judy McGrath the Chairman and Chief Executive at Reuters Media Summit in New York.

That means there will be a good copy of the banned "Scientology/ Mormon" episodes?

I doubt it'll change anything.

Just like music, it's encouraged more people to buy CDs.

Having Beavis & Butthead online wouldn't affect me in the least...I got in on the ubar low MTV online deal some months ago - got all 3 B&B volumes (9 discs) for ~$21/inc ship+tax :cool:.

Nor would having SP available for view change my likely-hood of purchasing the DVD sets AT ALL. In fact it may increase it (in a disconnected way). I love the show, always have (own all sets myself) - and I recently turned my sister/her long time BF/husband onto the show....They think it's a riot - and he's a Scien-BEEEP-ogist (they LOVED Trapped in the Closet!) :p. Anyway, it sure would be nice to have an alternate source of a LEGIT viewing source, in the (seemingly likely these days for me) event that I miss original airs or the re-air(s) just after.

ps Something like this is already done w/ a little Canadian ditty called "Trailer Park Boys". Directly after airing, showcase.ca (IOW the Showcase network) puts the episodes available for stream viewing online (perhaps only for a week IIRC, but still...)....For Canadian residents (IPs) only - nothing proxy can't help w/ of course ;).

Although they are not downloadable they are already hosted for your viewing pleasure online.

All seasons to date including special features and the movie. It's "all about south park" *Hint.

My question is, won't this cut into their DVD boxset sales? Since The Daily Show isn't released in that format, it was a non-issue, but not so for South Park.
I doubt it, it might even increase sales.

Everyone who wants to download the episodes (including complete DVDs with all the specials) is likely already downloading them. This will just increase exposure to the show.

For instance, Baen ( www.baen.com) is a book publisher. They've found that PAPER sales of their books increase when they release free versions on the internet. People still want the actual book and go out and buy it. They have a ton of free (DRM free too) books they've released on thier website. Here's thier free library:
http://www.baen.com/library/
I really like thier books, in part because I prefer sci fi, but I've also bought books even when I've been able to download them.

South Park has been online line for few years already.
There is a site that has links to all 11 seasons including current episodes within 24 hours of the original airing.

South Park has been online line for few years already.
There is a site that has links to all 11 seasons including current episodes within 24 hours of the original airing.

This is 100% legal for sure.

If you're a potential DVD buyer, then you're likely a fairly big South Park fan. As a fan, would you actually settle for a low res online video with commercials, or would you want the best quality available?

I'd think for most it's the latter. Now if you're a casual watcher, or you just want to go back and relive some specific episode, then the online version is the way to go.

If the DVD sets are reasonably priced, and the commercial interruptions are kept to a few minutes (preferably before the show starts), I think this has more potential to increase sales than cannibalize them.

^^ Saved me a post. With the DVD you also have a longer lasting version in case the show is removed from the online source.

Did they finally go to Japan and realize how to advertise media to maximize sales?

• Step 1: Make getting the media easy as hell.
  • Step 2: Sell more material because people love the media (well, if it was worth loving) want to collect it.
  • Step 3: PROFIT!

ps Something like this is already done w/ a little Canadian ditty called "Trailer Park Boys". Directly after airing, showcase.ca (IOW the Showcase network) puts the episodes available for stream viewing online (perhaps only for a week IIRC, but still...)....For Canadian residents (IPs) only - nothing proxy can't help w/ of course ;).
TPB's is an awesome show.

This is a good move. Gotta take the boogeyman out of the online thing and show how things really work.

Back