MTA certs worth it ?

SvenBent

2[H]4U
I apoglogize but this was the closes forum catagory I could find

I currently have
CompTIA A+
CompTia Network+

I am curently studying CompTIA Server+ (paid by my boss) and expect to take my exam end of this month

i just poked my boss for fun to get 2 MTA certs. and got pre approval for it
MTA - Windows Operatings system
MTA - Network Fundametals

Now i know these are lower version and pretty much just basic fundamentals but i wanted these for the following reasons
1: They are easy to get so i cna take em this year without studying to hard
2: They are form microsft so they kinda bring a broader certification aspect to my Resume instead of having just CompTIA ones
3: they have no expiration data unlike my CompTIA ones

I'm thinking to get CompTIA Security+ in 2years to update my expiration dates on my Certs
it might be before as i might be able to have my boss pay for it again.

Questions:
How difficult are the MTA's?
Is this a stupid approach and should i focus on something else?

Give me your feedback

P.S.
My server+ certification comes with a instates 5k yearly raise (Besidedes the scheduled performance based raise)

I really want to take advantage of getting my resume built here in the states as all other education is foreign papers
and also want to ensure that i am becoming a solid asset for my current company.

All certifications are worth it - well any that are industry recognised and from either the product vendor, an approved training organisation or a well known 3rd party (technical institute etc).
I'm not a fan of spending money on qualification boot camps and getting an obscure qualification in something that's not widely used may or may not be of value - depending on the circumstances.

In your case the qualifications are being paid for by your employer - so the cost is not an issue.
Starting with lower level qualifications is a good idea - you're unsure of the difficultly level, so start with the ones you have planned and then progress as you can (if you choose to).
The 2 qualifications you have chosen are both excellent places to start as the knowledge and skills gained are applicable in a wide range of circumstances.

Assuming you are either supporting Microsoft OS'es and involved with networking then I see no downside at all to your approach.

Qualifications demonstrate a set level of knowledge and skill in a given subject - so even if you know a lot more in your head, they are valuable to potential employers as it's proof that you have at least a given level of expertise.
...so in my opinion every qualification you can add to your CV is a bonus for you and does nothing but increase your value to your current employer and future potential employers.

I can't comment on the MTA cert's as mine are older and different types, but exams are exams. Study the material and use whatever methods work best for you prior to sitting the exam. Get mock examples if you can and find online examples of the exams if you can to use as study material.
Personally I do generalised study, some times make notes and usually do a bit of cramming using summary points or notes a day or 2 out, then I relax from that point.

Thank you for the input

I think ill fill up with these 2 even thoug my comptia ones are "higher levels" but i think it some nice filler until i have time for some bigger certs again.

MTA seams to be very "introductinary" so kinda pre entry level. from my understanding
by at least nice to get some more logo's on the list of cert besides just comptia

Back