Mt. Gox Founder 'Not Willing to Travel to US' For Bankruptcy Trial

HardOCP News

[H] News
Must be nice to be able to just decide you don't have to attend court for your own bankruptcy trial. :rolleyes:

US Bankruptcy Judge Stacey Jernigan earlier ordered Karpeles to appear in a Dallas bankruptcy court on 17 April to answer questions about the collapse of the Tokyo-based exchange. However, MtGox attorneys wrote to the judge that he is "not willing to travel to the US".

Different country?

Who gives a fuck. This is like me suing china for all the spam I get.

I'm all for Justice but if he's not from the US why should he? Serious question as I'd like to know as what gives us the jurisdiction.

Isn't he filing bankruptcy in the US? Thus the reason for having to appear in court.

So then Gox likely won't get bankruptcy protection here in the US then. Big deal?

The sudden "finding" of all these mysteriously "lost" bitcoins will likely resolve any insolvencies they had... lol. "Here folks, you can have your bitcoins back. No matter the fact that they're 'worth' half of what they used to be..."

No. Just knows that his frauds will likely result in a nice stay in a FPMITA and an army of IRS auditors waterboarding him to find out where all his personal wealth is stashed.

He knows hes guilty of some kind of misconduct thats prolly why he dosent want to chance it.

He's just one of many, many greedy criminals that are flocking to bitcoins to hide all the things they're buying.

Yes he did. In Texas.

Actually he didn't file bankruptcy in the US, he did it in Japan and asked the US to recognize the bankruptcy protection from the Japan filing. That being said if your asking the US for any type of protection they do have a right to question and get direct answers.

... Scamming American citizens living in America isn't enough?

No its not if your asking him to come to America voluntarily and he's not a US citizen. We know what he did but legally he hasn't been found guilty of anything, including scamming.

No its not if your asking him to come to America voluntarily and he's not a US citizen. We know what he did but legally he hasn't been found guilty of anything, including scamming.

Let's get this straight... he has to be found guilty of something before he stands trial? ;)

Actually he didn't file bankruptcy in the US, he did it in Japan and asked the US to recognize the bankruptcy protection from the Japan filing. That being said if your asking the US for any type of protection they do have a right to question and get direct answers.

Wonder what they have that's worth protection from. As an individual his own personal wealth isn't at risk (at least in according to US laws, not sure about Japan's), does "Mt. Gox" have a place of business? Assets? I mean ok they got computers somewhere sure, but 'oh no don't take our bitcoins we didn't "lose"' type of situation?

Let's get this straight... he has to be found guilty of something before he stands trial? ;)

Exactly...so your saying he's scamming Americans doesn't mean shit until if/when they can prove it. We can ask all we want but that doesn't mean we have jurisdiction in this case.

He filed for bankruptcy protection in the US. That is a fact. I don't know what chapter it was filed under but he did file for it The judge won't grant it unless he appears in person according to the judge at least. These are FACTS.

I'm still not expecting this to go well for this guy. Not showing up for court is just asking for really bad things to happen. Judges usually get miffed at that.

Back