Mt. Gox Finds 200K Missing Bitcoins In Unused Wallet

HardOCP News

[H] News
Maybe investigators should quit looking for missing bitcoins and concentrate on finding "unused" wallets instead. ;) Thanks to |-Goku-| for the link.

"We believed there were no bitcoins left in old wallets, but found 199,999.99 bitcoins on March 7," Mt. Gox Chief Executive Officer Mark Karpeles said in a document (PDF) released Thursday. Mt. Gox said it reported the discovery to attorneys on March 8 and moved the newfound bitcoins to offline storage.

So yeah, all those bitcoins we "lost" from your wallets...sorry.

Oh weird! We just "found" a bunch of bitcoins! We're lucky people!

Further proof that the people who are actually a Magic The Gathering Trading Card company... run a multi billion dollar company like a bunch of retards.

Either their software is total shit or some person physically put it in a wallet and forgot about them. Either way, these are the people that were handling billions in $/BTC.

Who wants to bet even if they found 90% of the missing money, people still will have a huge problem getting their coins or dollars back out of their accounts.

The funny thing is, no financial sector is without it's scams/shams/crooks/and idiots. We have seen meltdowns and other ineptitude before, it's nothing new.

Seems like their just covering their asses in regards to all the lawsuits. This guy should just be thrown in jail and throw away the key!

I feel really bad for my Big Bro who was trying to cash out 31 bit coins forever over there and that this happened. He planned a trip and was finishing his basement and his family doesn't understand what happened, I sold mine off long ago when they weren't shit and he kept mining and holding onto them. I hope he can get something back from them.

I feel really bad for my Big Bro who was trying to cash out 31 bit coins forever over there and that this happened. He planned a trip and was finishing his basement and his family doesn't understand what happened, I sold mine off long ago when they weren't shit and he kept mining and holding onto them. I hope he can get something back from them.

I think it's pretty easy to explain. Tell the family they have been stolen and are untraceable.

I'm confused... Did he attempt to pull out the coins prior to this whole fiasco? If so, why was it difficult to pull out coins that you own? Did Mt. Gox just say "so you want to withdraw? nope, not today!"

I'm confused... Did he attempt to pull out the coins prior to this whole fiasco? If so, why was it difficult to pull out coins that you own? Did Mt. Gox just say "so you want to withdraw? nope, not today!"

P.S.
Why can't I edit my own comments on this forum?

toward the "end" Gox started requiring account verification for both fiat and BTC withdrawals, so you had to jump through hoops and send them dox scans (which they promptly lost to the Russian hackers BTW) If the guy's brother was trying to get fiat out in USD that flow was a tiny trickle for over a year since they lost their US bank and Dwolla.

All these bitcoin news puzzle me more everyday. What exactly is "unused wallets?"

It is a wallet that wasn't active or being used as in no transactions going to and from it

Think of it as putting $100 in a wallet and then hiding that wallet in your sock drawer.

Better check under all the seat cushions at Mt. Gox HQ. While I feel somewhat bad for those who lost, it was all paper profits. Same during the last dot-com boom; some cashed out at Yahoo at $490 per, most didn't. And BTC is a hell of a lot more like a stock (ticker symbol for libertarianism?) than a currency.

Nobody just fucking "Misplaces" $120 million fucking dollars

Considering every bitcoin transaction is so incredibly tracked (Really, people think bitcoin is anonymous, its not, crypto currency has become the easiest to track currency in the world now) as soon as he releases some of those bitcoins, its not going to be hard to find out where they were before they were "Found" in that "lost wallet"

that wallet belongs to *somebody*. So they are admitting they just stole another batch of bitcoins?

How did they access the wallet without the password?

ZERO sympathy for keeping, at the time, $31,000 in MtGox of all places at ANY point for ANY period of time.

that wallet belongs to *somebody*. So they are admitting they just stole another batch of bitcoins?

How did they access the wallet without the password?

This thread is above your intelligence grade.

Nobody just fucking "Misplaces" $120 million fucking dollars

Considering every bitcoin transaction is so incredibly tracked (Really, people think bitcoin is anonymous, its not, crypto currency has become the easiest to track currency in the world now) as soon as he releases some of those bitcoins, its not going to be hard to find out where they were before they were "Found" in that "lost wallet"

This again ... Bitcoin is tracked and easily viewed by the nature of it. That is not what makes it anonymous. The anonymity comes from how it works. A "private key" is the owner of those coins. Without acknowledging a link to a public address, no-one knows who beholds that private key. That is where the anonymity comes from.

Tumbler services can easily confuse the any tracking for a small fee (x coin comes in, y coin goes out).

It is a wallet that wasn't active or being used as in no transactions going to and from it

Think of it as putting $100 in a wallet and then hiding that wallet in your sock drawer.
You sounded like you actually understood.

No! Intelligence comes in "grades" and clearly defined levels that rank and file people into neat little categories! Life can't possibly be any other way.

Back