MSI Z87A-GD65 Gaming Motherboard

HardOCP News

[H] News
The MSI Z87A-GD65 Gaming motherboard was put to the test today by the crew at PureOverclock. Overall it seemed they liked this board quite a lot.

Haswell has been on store shelves for a little over two weeks now, and we have seen an abundance of motherboard releases. Choosing the right one for your needs is the challenge. Some are looking for pure aesthetics, some are looking for pure performance, and some look for both. We have in for review today the MSI Z87A-GD65 Gaming Edition motherboard in the hopes of finding out if MSI was able to maintain high performance and aesthetic appeal to capture a wide audience.

MSI make great boards...this machine has been using a Z68A-GD80 and it runs quite well and dependable.

Own it. Love it. Returned an ASRock extreme6 in favor of the GD65 and am MUCH happier.

Just bought this board at MicroCenter with a 4670k. It is an amazing board. Got it for $119.00 and the chip was $199 ($40 off the board bought with the CPU). It looks good, tons of options and it is very stable. Haven't had an MSI board in many many years. Usually stick with Gigabyte but this one is a winner.

+1 Love the three that I have. Only thing I can't seem to get working is the BCLK strap, but some folks have been reporting this for other mobos as well.

I have a GD65, 4770k, and H100i cooler on the way, can't wait! Hoping for a 4.5-4.7GHz overclock, and as I am upgrading from x58, I am also looking forward to the faster USB and SATA speeds so I can see the full benefits of my SSD's!

Also interesting is the Killer NIC. Wondering if I will actually see a difference in my online gaming pings.

Last edited:
I finally got a chance to start digging into mine. So far I'm pretty impressed with how fluid everything seems to be. Everything I've messed with so far just seems to work. I'll be picking up a closed loop cooler this weekend though, hoping to drop the temps a bit on my i5-4670K, and then start delving into some mild overclocking.

Back